• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food network's mystery cake show

JeanneCake

I finally got to see the entire show today..... I thought the matador was incredible work. The magic castle bike ride was nice, but I missed the close up of it; I didn't get to see whether what/how the castle was part of the design.

What did you all think?

There was a very very brief scene that showed Colette with a tier of the cake that had blue fondant on the bottom of the cake - the top of the cake looked dark, as if the fondant had been applied only to the bottom part of the cake. I'm trying to figure out what it could have been since I thought she covered the entire cake tiers with marbled blue fondant and then marked the wavy lines.

Anyone recall that part and have any ideas on what she might have been doing?

Wasn't terribly impressed. I really agreed with 1st and second place, but I wouldn't pay one thin dime for any of those other cakes. The big green one with lots of sports equipment looked like it was made by a 4th grader.

I think the concept of the show is pretty cool, but the execution of it is horrid. I think instead of making these talented people brainstorm an idea and plan the execution the night before, give them 3 or 4 days in "isolation" to work on the thing. You will end up with a much better result, and in the end, a much better show. Plus it will give more insight into the creative process.

Sugar or some sort of flavor based contest may be able to be done in one day like that, but pastry requires more planning and equipment. That's why Collete essentially built a tiered cake, then based everything from that. She knows the tiered cake will stand solid and give height. The rest was simply decoration.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Wasn't terribly impressed. I really agreed with 1st and second place, but I wouldn't pay one thin dime for any of those other cakes. The big green one with lots of sports equipment looked like it was made by a 4th grader.

I think the concept of the show is pretty cool, but the execution of it is horrid. I think instead of making these talented people brainstorm an idea and plan the execution the night before, give them 3 or 4 days in "isolation" to work on the thing. You will end up with a much better result, and in the end, a much better show. Plus it will give more insight into the creative process.

exactly. I would think that the big draw - for viewers - would be the spectacular cakes not the cheesy competition drama they tried to create.

I was really looking forward to this episode, but was disappointed - I thought it was boring and the only really 'wow' cake was the matador. I enjoyed hearing the judges talk together during the judging - I think that was new. I agree that a longer planning time would have been better - I think this show could actually be a couple of hours long - or even a 'mini series' kind of thing. The cakes on the shows where the theme is not a mystery have been MUCH better cakes. I am really tired of the former welder guy from Baltimore (Charm City Bakery, I think). I think the last time he was the one who 'boasted' that he doesn't plan ahead - he just goes for it. I think it shows.

I had to explain to the mom of my son's friend today that no, my child is not deranged, he really did hear someone on the Food Network say that he would stick this screwdriver into someone's neck. (He saw it yesterday afternoon or whenever it was on). I couldn't agree more that this Duff guy is tiresome, although CakeDiva could give him a run for that money. Just because you have a hammer doesn't mean everything is a nail. And after the blow torch IN the mixer bowl (a friend of mine was one of the judges on the Elvis cake thing, and he did this at that competition), I have to wonder about what else he does in his shop that isn't on camera!!! :blink: But I know I'm going to have to tell my son to stop repeating the chef and the screwdriver story.

I think the cake challenge stuff is pretty contrived and very subjective, and while I love seeing what the cake stylists come up with, I'd much rather they just point the cameras on the bakers and stop with the commentary and questions while they're trying to work. The whole drama about moving the finished piece is so not real life.

I have to agree, I was disappointed also. It looks like the cake diva and Duff are asked to make fools of themselves. I can't believe they would actually act so ridiculous. And it seems like a set up with some of their disasters. I also thought the Matador was much more creative than Collette's cake and should have won.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I couldn't agree more that this Duff guy is tiresome, 

I couldn't help but wonder what kind of clientele he has! I can't imagine any one of the fussy brides that I've known putting up with him for an over-priced wedding cake! Imagine him being around on the actual wedding day putting last minute touches on the cake... he would drive everyone nuts! Forget about Bridezillas... what about Cakezillas?!?

although CakeDiva could give him a run for that money. 

Amen to that!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Guys/Ladys...........I think Duff is a professional...........I'm sure his brides are very happy with his work.

Crying out loud, would you want to be in a cake decorating contest against Collette?

they were just having fun, I thought............lightening up the situation.........

Competitions are high pressure, they took themselves out of that scene for their own sanity and desided to have fun, who can blame them.........

Guys/Ladys...........I think Duff is a professional...........I'm sure his brides are very happy with his work.

Crying out loud, would you want to be in a cake decorating contest against Collette?

they were just having fun, I thought............lightening up the situation.........

Competitions are high pressure, they took themselves out of that scene for their own sanity and desided to have fun, who can blame them.........

I actually wasn't referring to their 'antics'! I am sure that they were encouraged to act like that - all the different personalities draw in an audience - especially ones who wouldn't necessarily be interested in cakes. I understand that. My problem with Duff is that he just doesn't seem to bring much more than his antics to the competitions. I am sure that his cakes are wonderful - IN HIS SHOP. But his creations for the shows have been substandard. I don't think it shows much respect for what he's been asked to do or to his fellow contestants.

I would NEVER EVER want to compete against Collette (I WOULD, however, love to watch her forever :wub: )!! I wouldn't want to compete against a monkey with a pastry bag :biggrin: ! I am the egulleteer who is always freaking out when I end up with holes in my cupcakes or runny frosting and comes here to beg help! I have enormous respect for the pros and for the incredibly gifted folks who have posted recipes and photos here for us to drool over. I aspire to be an amateur :smile: !

I actually wasn't referring to their 'antics'!  I am sure that they were encouraged to act like that - all the different personalities draw in an audience - especially ones who wouldn't necessarily be interested in cakes.  I understand that.  My problem with Duff is that he just doesn't seem to bring much more than his antics to the competitions.  I am sure that his cakes are wonderful - IN HIS SHOP.  But his creations for the shows have been substandard.  I don't think it shows much respect for what he's been asked to do or to his fellow contestants. 

I agree. His website shows his talent and creativity. On the competition shows, he seems more interested in playing up the "I used to be a welder" angle than in showing off his skill as a cake stylist - maybe that's what he's been asked to do by the Food Network, but it isn't doing him any good. During one part of the sport show, he looked almost incredulous when someone reminded him about the 75% cake part, as if he'd forgotten the rules.

Keogan Gerhardt said something along those lines (unprofessional behavior) during the Elvis show - when the two judges didn't take kindly to the blow torch in the meringue buttercream he tried to say that it's the sort of thing he (Keogan) could relate to as a pastry chef, but it had no place in the competition.

The good natured ribbing between he and Colette was cute, and lightened things up a little, but I think he took it too far. The end result for this talented professional is that his design fell apart on the table.

I wish they spent more (camera) time on the cakes. Like when Colette had toothpicks in the wavy fondant borders, or the chocolate head of the matador was being shaped, or when the bicycle cake was being built - that would have been more interesting to me than the bickering! The emcee didn't do much to help by asking questions and trying to get in the way when it was obvious someone was trying to concentrate. That was annoying.

Mike should have won hands down. His matador was easily the most impressive creation there. Blew away Colette's cake...

I TOTALLY AGREE!

I too agree! I am so bored by Collette's cakes. Mike was robbed. Then they put him in the competition for the Elvis cake against a bunch of yahoos and gave him the big prize. He said it would be his last and he was robbed at the mystery cake event.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."