• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Benefits of Food Celebrities

In your interview with Susan, you said

when I gave a talk or did a demo, there was a crowd, whereas when it was just a book signing in a generic book store, we didn’t get such a good crowd. The whole celebrity thing has gotten over the top, bigger than ever. You only get crowds and crowds and crowds if you are the hottest new thing on the Food Network.

What do you think are the positives (and/or negatives) of having food "celebrities"? By "celebrity", I mean both those with popular cooking shows who are average cooks, and those professional chefs who stress showmanship over skill. Are they an asset or a detriment to teaching people to really cook (both the skills and the art of cooking)?

Ultimately anyone who can get people into the kitchen and cooking is a hero.

Celebrity chefs have raised the status of the profession for sure but I just worry that sometimes some of the less well trained celebrity chefs are giving out misinformation.

Sara Moulton