• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Rockland County close to NorthernNJ

Anonymouze

I forget if i asked, but does Citrus Grill, have an online site or menu? Thanks! :biggrin: are there any other rockland gems out there? Much appreciated.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Just got back from a trip to El Bandito. Having been by there a couple of time recently and not being able to get in the parking lot!!! We went at exactly 5pm today. Actually felt a little silly, only 2 other tables occupied. Until 5:30 when all hell broke loose and parties of 6 just kept pouring in the door.

We started with the complimentary qesadilla and our ordered app of Chiliquiles w/chicken and I had the Serape...pounded steak topped tomatillo sauce and melted cheese with beans rice and salad, and hubby had a combo with roasted pork chunks, steak, chorizo, beans and salad served with warm flour tortillas....The steak is so tender its almost unbelievable, but the pork was a little dry.

We also received dessert taquitos filled with apples served with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream to go with the shots of Cuarenta y Tres

$95 with tax and tip

and off to the IMAX for the Mars Rover show

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How was waterwheel?Do they have an online site? Also does Bandito? Thanks!

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Waterwheel was great. I just love that place. good coffee. great sweet potato fries. delicious salad with grilled chicken, I think the Waterwheel Salad. Sister-in-law had their veggie burger and she loved it. It was NOT a Garden Burger (not that there's anything wrong with that) but a lot better and thicker and looked great.

No, they don't have a website. they should. next time I go there, I'll tell them to get with it!

Marge

Any restaurants with a "view" AND entertainment/music?

I went to Michaelsons? Years ago in Haverstraw area and it was a beautiful view... I also like the place at the end of Route 59 in East Nyack, the restaurant sits right on the water and they open the "doors" on nice days. Could be on either side of the NY/NJ border.

I'll be with people with hearty appetites who don't like "cracker sized" servings on plates. (heh what can I say, they're HUNGRY!) Thanks again everyone & especially Liz, Margo, Tongo, Rooftop and anyone I may have missed. :laugh:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Any restaurants with a "view" or entertainment/music or preferably both? 

I went to Michaelsons? Years ago in Haverstraw area and it was a beautiful view... I also like the place at the end of Route 59 in East Nyack, the restaurant sits right on the water and they open the "doors" on nice days.

I'll be with people with hearty appetites who don't like "cracker sized" servings on plates. (heh what can I say, they're HUNGRY!)  Thanks again everyone & especially Liz, Margo, Tongo, Rooftop and anyone I may have missed.  :laugh:

Turning Point in Piermont has great music. However, the food is just average pub food.

* ^ BUMP ^ *

:wacko:

Anyone else who knows any place with a gorgeous view AND good music/entertainment in Rockland or Westchester County (preferably Rockland or Northern Bergen Co NJ is OK too!) Feel free to post here or PM me - Thanks again. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever eaten in any Pearl River restaurants - besides the Thai one? I'd like to know if any are particularly outstanding or worth running over for suppertime. Any new or delicious restaurants open in the last few months or weeks? Thanks!

Ate at Louies on the Avenue. On Central ave about 3 blocks East of 304.

Great ambiance. Attentive service. Varied menu. The coconut shrimp appetizer was delicious.

Has anyone ever eaten in any Pearl River restaurants - besides the Thai one?  I'd like to know if any are particularly outstanding or worth running over for suppertime.  Any new or delicious restaurants open in the last few months or weeks?  Thanks!

Edited by ALANBF (log)

Nanuet Hotel for pizza. I've been going there for 20 yrs. It's wonderful.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Thanks sara and Alan - Anything in particular for entrees you would suggest at either (louie's or the pizza place?)

Oops forgot to add I've eaten at La Cucina on Main St? in Pearl River - I like the food there and the owner is very nice if nothing has changed in the last 18 months I haven't been there in a while as I don't have much time for it.

Also El Toro Loco by the Rockland Psychiatric Center Area (I feel it's aptly named more or less.) - It's right off of Orangeburg Road about 1 mile past the Old Tappan/Tappan Reservoir.

• 5 months later...

Just bumping to do a local tie-in to something I posted on the Beer board.

Beer and Cheese in Pearl River, NY: Defiant Brewing is open for business. The owner/brewer (Neill) does list suggested cheese pairings for each of his fine brews, but it really is all about the beer there. Nothing fancy in terms of the space, but this is how Beer is Done- unfiltered, naturally carbonated and gravity dispensed. Fresh as a daisy.

...if you're into that sort of thing...

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Since I see this thread has been bumped up, I thought I'd add that last week I made it over to the Porter House on the border of Montvale and Pearl River. Never really been impressed with it before, I have to say that they have a great outdoor seating area with naturalized stone wall surrounding it and a large outdoor fireplace (albeit gas burning). Add to this some well-spaced tables and outdoor heating units, and it made for a very nice early fall evening outdoor experience.

Have to add that the bar food was a pleasant surprise as well. Irish Nachos which are very good homemade potato chips with a nice amount of melted cheddar (not overloaded) and the cheese steaks that we enjoyed made the evening excellent all around.