• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Rockland County close to NorthernNJ

Anonymouze

Anyone know of any particularly good restaurants in Pearl River, Tappan, New City, Spring Valley, Nanuet, Nyack, Suffern area and points east?

I've heard of a Mexican place from J.P. and a place called Gilligans? I would like to try something different or fun not your run of the mill italian or chinese food. I only have very few dislikes mainly green veggies (go figure :laugh: an aversion that has stuck since childhood!) and my allergies coconut and fresh tomatoes thank god I can eat sundried tomatoes and "sauces"... and I don't like to eat things that come in shells - so I hope all of you out there can really help me find some new places to try!Thanks everyone... :wub: you're great!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Also just a quick note anything by East Nyack or the Palisades mall or Haverstraw would also be great! I've been to the River Club on Byrd Street? and that's real nice.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Xaviar's in Piermont is one of the best known ones. I've been wanting to dine there myself for a number of years.

http://www.xaviars.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Xavier's and Frelance Cafe in Piermont are great.

Both owned by Peter kelly

Careful though--they only take cash and are not cheap.

also

another Peter Kelly place in valley Cottage on rt 303 is Restaurant X also very good.

check out Old Tappan as well there is a good Italian restaurant there (the name escapes me).

There is a very good thin crust pizza spot/tavern --"Mountain House" (family friendly)

MmmmMM xaviers looks delicious... :biggrin: especially for lunch. (the 2nd course at supper has nothing appealing to me... just call me picky) but the rest sounds superb for supper too - also Freelance looks real good too! I welcome any and all other suggestions also has anyone ever been to Louies? in Pearl River it is always crowded and I was curious. Thanks Jason and... John great suggestions so far! I hope there are more.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

MmmmMM xaviers looks delicious...  :biggrin: especially for lunch. (the 2nd course at supper has nothing appealing to me... just call me picky) but the rest sounds superb for supper too - also Freelance looks real good too!  I welcome any and all other suggestions also has anyone ever been to Louies? in Pearl River it is always crowded and I was curious.  Thanks Jason and... John great suggestions so far!  I hope there are more.

I haven't been to Freelance or Xaviers but I've heard great things about them.

As for the earlier mentioned Mountain House, its definitely an interesting place. Good pizza, good beer, and a very townie feel. Lots of fun.

Is it the mountain house in sparkill? If so does anyone know if there's an online site for it or menu?

Any other suggestions closer on or near rt 59 and 303/304 area? Thanks again.

Doing a search in the New York forum for Rockland turns out this page of hits.

Includes suggestions on

New City/Rockland Foodie Places To Go

Up the Palisades

And the topic you started in the summer.

Yes, the Mountain House is in Sparkill. Here's what I found on google.com.

For 59 and 303, look at the Up the Palisades post for suggestions I wrote about in Nyack and Spring Valley.

Also, here a link to this year's Journal News round-up on Rockland restaurants.

There's also a place I just wrote about called Adagio Restaurant & Wine Bar at 50 E. Central Avenue, Pearl River. 845-735-3970. www.adagiorestaurant.com

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Is it the mountain house in sparkill? If so does anyone know if there's an online site for it or menu? 

Any other suggestions closer on or near rt 59 and 303/304 area?  Thanks again.

Yes its in Sparkill.

Have you tried Heather's Cucina in Nyack? I haven't been there for a while but had a very good experience the last time I was there. Its at 12 N. Broadway. Another Nyack spot is Lanterna, a Tuscan restaurant also on Broadway.

And while not Rockland, Blue Hill at Stone Barns is just across the Tappan Zee bridge, in nearby Tarrytown.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=3839

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

MmmmMM xaviers looks delicious...  :biggrin: especially for lunch. (the 2nd course at supper has nothing appealing to me... just call me picky) but the rest sounds superb for supper too - also Freelance looks real good too!  I welcome any and all other suggestions also has anyone ever been to Louies? in Pearl River it is always crowded and I was curious.  Thanks Jason and... John great suggestions so far!  I hope there are more.

sorry-Mountain house is in Sparkhill.

It is very good for pizza. also a friendly bar scene.

(kids are welcome here too though).

The link provided by Liz Johnson is really good--I am saving it for myself.

(the Journal News does a very nice job covering the restaurant/food scene)

by the way--thanks to Liz--that Italian place in Old Tappan I couldn't remember the name of-- is Giulio's--good food--nice atmosphere.

also in her link is Il Portico--another good Italian for lunch or dinner.

In the Palisades Mall at Nyack is a Legal Sea Foods--I love to sit at the bar for lunch and have chowder and oysters on the half shell.

there is also a very nice wine shop on 303 just over the border in NY--"Wine For All"--it is very small but the selection is eclectic and good--the owner Eli Hardoff really knows wine and is fun to discuss wine and food with--everytime I visit--I leave with a "new discovery."

In NJ --Northvale--just south of the line on RT 303 (left onto Paris Avenue) you will find a good restaurant/ saloon --"Hennesey's"--good burgers etc also live music--owned by Jill Hennessey (the actress) and next door is the exterior of "Stuckeybowl" from the late TV show "ED."

The link provided by Liz Johnson is really good--I am saving it for myself.

(the Journal News does a very nice job covering the restaurant/food scene)

:wub:

Thanks. I'm very excited because we (finally) just got a dedicated food page on our web site. It's got a new column I just started called Chef's Dish, plus our food stories and columns. No restaurant reviews, unfortunately. We stopped those in July.

www.lohud.com/food

LoHud stands for Lower Hudson.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Waterwheel, 272 Route 59, Tallman, NY 845-357-3725 fax 845-357-3882

Casual and very reasonable prices, a true mom 'n pop, delicious food. Looks like a ski lodge.

I had my dad's 90th BD party there a few weeks ago and it was spectacular. Many people mentioned how good the food is. And it is. Delightful place.

Very close to Airmont Road.

there is also a very nice wine shop on 303 just over the border in NY--"Wine For All"--it is very small but the selection is eclectic and good--the owner Eli Hardoff really knows wine and is fun to discuss wine and food with--everytime I visit--I leave with a "new discovery."

Wine for All is a great shop and Eli is fantastic. The only thing to keep in mind is that he only stocks low production wines. So you aren't going to find a lot of the stuff that traditional wine shops sell. What you will find are interesting wines that have production runs of 1000 cases or so, often less than that. He does make a couple of exceptions for larger production runs, but not often.

Waterwheel, 272 Route 59, Tallman, NY 845-357-3725  fax 845-357-3882

Casual and very reasonable prices, a true mom 'n pop, delicious food.  Looks like a ski lodge. 

I had my dad's 90th BD party there a few weeks ago and it was spectacular.  Many people mentioned how good the food is.  And it is.  Delightful place. 

Very close to Airmont Road.

I've always wondered about that place — I've never been. What kind of food? What do you recommend?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Wine for All is a great shop and Eli is fantastic. The only thing to keep in mind is that he only stocks low production wines. So you aren't going to find a lot of the stuff that traditional wine shops sell. What you will find are interesting wines that have production runs of 1000 cases or so, often less than that. He does make a couple of exceptions for larger production runs, but not often.

Yes, I've bought Toad Hollow there, for example. But you're right.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Another big fan of Waterwheel. The pancakes are fantastic- and I don't really love pancakes. A very loud, family friendly place.

I also enjoy the chicken parm, but the best in the county (much better for take out than dine in) is right up Route 59 towards Nanuet- Three Boys from Italy. About two minutes up the road, not much for ambiance but fantastic food.

- KOBI

A couple more spots:

- Citrus Grille (Saddle River Road, Monsey). I only went once some years ago, but gets very high praise from many.

- Jade Village (pascack road, Chesntut Ridge, www.jadevillage.com). VERY good upscale Chinese food, they also have a Japanese side which I have never tried. Reserve early for the weekends, also a great place for take out. I particularly reccomend the Jade Village Steak and sizzling tofu (which may not be on the menu).

- A Taste of Distincton (Route 202, Pomona, www.atasteofdistinction.com). More of a caterer than restaurant, they also have a large showcase and fantastic foodn to eat in at a few tables. Great sandwich selection, I particularly reccomend the #1- but ask for it on their home made foccacia, which is worth the visit alone.

- El Bandito (Route 59, Spring Valley). Great, authentic, fast Mexican. A little expensive but worth it... loud and rushed, though.

- Sutter's Mill (Route 59, Suffern). A basic pub, but with some very good food. I love the wings and cheese fries when I am looking to cheat, but they also have a great spinach salad (ask for the warm balsamic dressing on the side!)

Liz, which of the above have you been to? Any opinions??

Hope this helps, KOBI

[[ Waterwheel, 272 Route 59, Tallman, NY 845-357-3725  fax 845-357-3882

Casual and very reasonable prices, a true mom 'n pop, delicious food.  Looks like a ski lodge.  I had my dad's 90th BD party there a few weeks ago and it was spectacular.  Many people mentioned how good the food is.  And it is.  Delightful place.  Very close to Airmont Road. ]]

[[ I've always wondered about that place — I've never been. What kind of food? What do you recommend? ]]

Everything is good there. Salmon, pastas, salads. delicious food. breakfast is great too. I forget what I've ordered but whatever it was was so pleasant and enjoyable that I look forward to going back any time I visit my dad, who lives a mile from there.

A couple more spots:

- Citrus Grille (Saddle River Road, Monsey).  I only went once some years ago, but gets very high praise from many.

- Jade Village (pascack road, Chesntut Ridge, www.jadevillage.com).  VERY good upscale Chinese food, they also have a Japanese side which I have never tried.  Reserve early for the weekends, also a great place for take out.  I particularly reccomend the Jade Village Steak and sizzling tofu (which may not be on the menu).

- A Taste of Distincton (Route 202, Pomona, www.atasteofdistinction.com).  More of a caterer than restaurant, they also have a large showcase and fantastic foodn to eat in at a few tables.  Great sandwich selection, I particularly reccomend the #1- but ask for it on their home made foccacia, which is worth the visit alone.

- El Bandito (Route 59, Spring Valley).  Great, authentic, fast Mexican.  A little expensive but worth it... loud and rushed, though.

- Sutter's Mill (Route 59, Suffern).  A basic pub, but with some very good food.  I love the wings and cheese fries when I am looking to cheat, but they also have a great spinach salad (ask for the warm balsamic dressing on the side!)

Liz, which of the above have you been to?  Any opinions??

Hope this helps, KOBI

I've been to all except Taste of Distinction. It's been a while for Citrus Grill, but I remember liking it very much.

Jade Village has the coolest retro cocktail list — drinks like Mai Tai, etc. — all with photos! Good food, too.

El Bandito. I'd actually say it's more Tex Mex, but I really like it there. Atmosphere is fun.

Sutter's Mill. Bar food. We recommended their burger in our burger round-up this summer.

[[  Waterwheel, 272 Route 59, Tallman, NY 845-357-3725   fax 845-357-3882

Casual and very reasonable prices, a true mom 'n pop, delicious food.  Looks like a ski lodge.   I had my dad's 90th BD party there a few weeks ago and it was spectacular.  Many people mentioned how good the food is.  And it is.   Delightful place.   Very close to Airmont Road. ]]

[[  I've always wondered about that place — I've never been. What kind of food? What do you recommend?  ]]

Everything is good there.  Salmon, pastas, salads.  delicious food.  breakfast is great too.  I forget what I've ordered but whatever it was was so pleasant and enjoyable that I look forward to going back any time I visit my dad, who lives a mile from there.

Thank you so much marge201. I look forward to trying it.

The Mulberry Street Grill, 149 Main St. Nanuet  845 624 2220

Friendly atmosphere. Liq. license, good service

Yes, this is in that spot where a Thai restaurant used to be, right? I wrote about it a few weeks back to let people know it had opened but haven't been yet.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

• 2 weeks later...

I recalled a place I used to go in Nanuet on 59 behind McD's by Pathmark, called Posa Posa, not bad... (It's next to weight watchers... HOW CRUEL! :blink: ) heeeheeee

Anyhow, I used to get their posa platter which had my absolute favorite (I wonder if there's another place nearby that has it?!) Mozzarella n Carozza and clams oreganato and stuffed shrimp oreganato (yes those clams I will eat - go figure eh?!) as a combo for around 15.00 makes a big hearty meal (or 2!) if you know a place, do they deliver to River Vale NJ (1 mi south of the Pearl River NY border?!) Please provide link or ph# etc... Thanks everyone again! :wub:

Anonymouze,

Posa posa is still there, in the same spot on Route 59. They also have atleast one more outpost, in Woodbury Commons, although it is currently being renovated. Posa is a great quick stop, both for their pizza and several of their "menu" items.

- KOBI

My sister-in-law works in Nanuet and brings Posa Posa pizza down here about once a month for a Friday night visit sort of thing. My son loves the Sicilian pie, though the sauce is a bit sweet for my taste. I really like their stuffed pizza, however- the crust is really thin and crisp, and they are satisfying yet not leaden. I don't know the name but there is one stuffed with potatoes and veggies that is my fave. I imagine it is even better at the source.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Well it's about 5 miles from Saddle River/River Vale/Woodcliff Lake area so I think I'll be popping in again any day now! :-)