• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taos Wok and Restaurant

Lemons

After visiting Jerry's in East Rutherford last night, I went past Taos. Has anyone ever been there? After looking at their web site, it appears that they are affiliated with the Village Gourmet and Mignon Steak House. Not bad company..

The menu is unusual and all bottles of wine are $20.00. Has anyone been there?

Only posts I've seen about it are here...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

After visiting Jerry's in East Rutherford last night, I went past Taos. Has anyone ever been there? After looking at their web site, it appears that they are affiliated with the Village Gourmet and Mignon Steak House. Not bad company..

The menu is unusual and all bottles of wine are $20.00. Has anyone been there?

We had dinner at Taos last night and had an enjoyable meal. The menu was not as presented on their web site. Also bottles of wine prices were not all $20.00 as shown, but we all enjoyed what we ordered.

I had General Tao's Chicken and it was as good as or better than I ever had. The chicken was tender and the sauce was delicious. It came with rice and some rolled egg plant. My wife had Egg Noodles with spicy pork and she also enjoyed her meal. One person that was with us had a shrimp cocktail and a salad (on a diet) and her husband had the Manhattan clam chowder which he really enjoyed. It was served with a cheese topping and toast points. His entrée was blackened seared tuna which he said was as fresh as he ever had. The ladies shared some Bananas Foster which in addition to the bananas had all sorts of fresh fruit and other goodies. The waiter flamed the bananas immediately before he presented them to the table.

The presentation of each dish was really unique and everything was very tasty. It was a little noisy because there were no soundproofing materials in the room. Our waiter was nice but the service was only fair. There were not many people in the dining room on a Thursday night and I wonder what it's like when it’s busy. We spoke with the manager (owner?) who introduced himself as "Bobby. I don't know if he is related to Robert Wong who owns the Village Gourmet and Mignon but he was very personable and seemed quite knowledgeable.

All in all a nice dining experience - we will be back.

I just love that the other woman at the table had a shrimp cocktail and salad b/c of her diet, but she managed to share the Bananas Foster. That counts as fruit, I suppose?!? :wacko::laugh:

Glad to hear that the food was good; I've never been, but may have to give it a try. Thanks for the report, Lemons!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."