• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yama Vacuum Pot

RonC

I keep seeing notices that the Yama is no longer being imported to the US. I was going to buy a second one to serve as a backup to the one I have -- especially since I still have a few packs of their filters ;).

Anyone know if it's still available anywhere? If not, hmmm what should I move on to?

Thanks,

Sidecar Ron

I keep seeing notices that the Yama is no longer being imported to the US. I was going to buy a second one to serve as a backup to the one I have -- especially since I still have a few packs of their filters ;).

Anyone know if it's still available anywhere? If not, hmmm what should I move on to?

Thanks,

Sidecar Ron

Hi Ron, I use a Cona D for my wife's coffee. It does a great job. As a benefit, it doesn't use any filters, only a glass "stopper". I think Sweet Marias carrys them (among others).

Ken

They may still be available in Japan. I see vacuum pots around a lot, but have never looked very closely at them. I could send you one (shipping is a risk, though--but I could pack the box in a well-padded bigger box to help protect it) for merely the cost of the pot and shipping. If I can find one, that is...

Rona, thanks for the offer. I have a friend who is a flight attendant for American and has the Asia route quite often. I may see what she can do. If that doesn't work, I may take you up on your kind offer.

Sidecar Ron

They may still be available in Japan.  I see vacuum pots around a lot, but have never looked very closely at them.  I could send you one (shipping is a risk, though--but I could pack the box in a well-padded bigger box to help protect it) for merely the cost of the pot and shipping.  If I can find one, that is...

• 2 weeks later...

hario (japanese) makes some pots that are very similar to yama (taiwanese). hario used to have a presence in the u.s (so. cal.), but i believe they may have closed the operation. (i believe their website used to be hariousa.com) i assume you can still find some of their pots.

if you have a problem, you may want to contact cafe balcony, a small cafe in west l.a. they serve vacuum-brewed coffee using harios. (they have about 4 on the counter.) they may be able to tell you where to get one. here is a link:

cafe balcony

good luck

Thanks for the lead. I appreciate it.

Sidecar Ron

hario (japanese) makes some pots that are very similar to yama (taiwanese).  hario used to have a presence in the u.s (so. cal.), but i believe they may have closed the operation.  (i believe their website used to be hariousa.com)  i assume you can still find some of their pots.

if you have a problem, you may want to contact cafe balcony, a small cafe in west l.a.  they serve vacuum-brewed coffee using harios.  (they have about 4 on the counter.)  they may be able to tell you where to get one.  here is a link:

cafe balcony

good luck