• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Burger Place

Peter Conway

Morning!

The wife said she has a hankering for a good burger. Her first choice would be Corner Bistro in NY, but the kid's hockey game tonight interferes with that plan.

We go to Franklin Steak House from time to time, been to Red Robin once, Cloverleaf last time a couple of years ago, Red Chimney on the way to the movies, Anthony Wayne before it closed. But none of these appeal.

From reading the board looks like Gaffer's in West Orange may be worth a try.

We want to stay close to Montclair.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Morning!

The wife said she has a hankering for a good burger. Her first choice would be Corner Bistro in NY, but the kid's hockey game tonight interferes with that plan.

We go to Franklin Steak House from time to time, been to Red Robin once, Cloverleaf last time a couple of years ago, Red Chimney on the way to the movies, Anthony Wayne before it closed. But none of these appeal.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

my vote is for PALS CABIN in west orange for a burger. I usually get the Bacon/cheddar burger when i go

tom

Tierneys on Valley Road, about 1/2 mile from Bloomfield Ave. Make sure to get extra napkins. Depending on how bad your hangover is, you can also indulge in a little hair of the dog.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Just a forewarning--Tierney's tends to be very smoky, so if that bothers you...

Oh, who am I kidding? I believe that the walls of that place are solely composed of tar and nicotine. :blink:

Fwiw, the burgers I've had at Egan's have been good, although I'm not knocked out by much of the rest of their menu. And of course, hair from same dog can be had there, as well! :laugh:

Too bad Arthur's isn't closer.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

you're just not going to do much better than the franklin steakhouse.

i enjoy Pal's burger.

somewhat close to you, maybe, is michael's roscommon house in belleville. it's a pub with a dining room attached, and the lady in the kitchen makes one helluva burger. shhhh. it's our secret.

HMMM, burgers, What's a burger? :wink:

My vote is Pal's Cabin too.

Eric

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I would have never thought of Pal's and I pass it everyday on the way to work.

Tierney's is too smoky, Egans too noisy.

Michael's Roscommon House sounds most intriguing so I think we are going to try that.

Came across this while searching.

Munchmobile Wrap Up for 2005

Edited by Peter Conway (log)

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

HMMM, burgers, What's a burger? :wink:

My vote is Pal's Cabin too.

Eric

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I would have never thought of Pal's and I pass it everyday on the way to work.

Tierney's is too smoky, Egans too noisy.

Michael's Roscommon House sounds most intriguing so I think we are going to try that.

Came across this while searching.

Munchmobile Wrap Up for 2005

The Jersey Wings (garlic and cheese) are also very good at Michael's Roscommon.

i enjoy Pal's burger.

somewhat close to you, maybe, is michael's roscommon house in belleville.  it's a pub with a dining room attached, and the lady in the kitchen makes one helluva burger.  shhhh.  it's our secret.

Tommy,

Thank you. Went to Roscommon House and the burgers were great. Nice little place. Sadly they were out of wings so will be back again to try the Jersey Wings Pete Ganz recommended.

But don't worry, I'll keep it secret.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Another suggestion for the future is Gaffer's Pub in West Orange, down on Main St. Get the grated cheddar on the burger - yum!

And, as mentioned by others above, Pal's does a pretty dependable burger.

Jason

i enjoy Pal's burger.

somewhat close to you, maybe, is michael's roscommon house in belleville.  it's a pub with a dining room attached, and the lady in the kitchen makes one helluva burger.  shhhh.  it's our secret.

From my experience in the area, I'd have to agree wih this.

I like the Franklin Steakhouse Angus burger, and Pal's is solid (not to mention right around the corner). I've never even heard of Michael's--I'll be sure to give that a try!

I found the Egan and Son's burger to be fairly good, so long as they don't overcook it. I find that they overcook their food their in general, so you're best to order at least one grade below. If you like rare to medium-rare, you may be out of luck. Medium-rare to rmedium is as low as it gets here. A special mention to their honey wings. Very tasty with a nice spicy sweetness.

I wasn't so impressed with Gaffer's. I gave it a try on a couple of occasions but just didn't feel it was anything special.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Morning!

Any suggestions.

Thanks

HI!

How about Montclair CharBroil on Valley Road in Montclair. They have a good burger, great, friendly service and.....it's in Montclair.

Morning!

Any suggestions.

Thanks

HI!

How about Montclair CharBroil on Valley Road in Montclair. They have a good burger, great, friendly service and.....it's in Montclair.

Hi, thanks. And I could bring my own wine.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

We went to Jim Johnston's a few weeks back - my wife had the burger and, while she enjoyed it, she didn't feel it was as good as her 'regular' - Pal's cabin.

That said, you can buy a $25 Jim Johnston's gift certificate for $10 from restaurant.com (minimum spend $35). Right now, they have a 60% coupon, so it would only cost you $4 - here's the instructions I got in the email I received this morning:

---

Put on your hero cape and follow these simple steps to save 60%:

1. Go to www.restaurant.com.

2. Search for restaurants by zip code or state.

3. Click "Add to Cart" to buy certificates. Don't forget to add certificates to one of our great online merchants!

4. Click "Check Out" and enter promotional code 89500. Click "Recalculate Total" to apply your savings.

Important things you should know about this promotion: Promotion ends 1/31/06. Discount may not be combined with any other rebates, discounts, or promotions. Discount may not be applied to redemption of Mega Certificates or Restaurant.com Certificates.

---

Jason

• 1 month later...

Got to Michael's Roscommon House tonight. Had a calamari franchaise which I felt had a delicious sauce. The calamari was lightly breaded, but just a little chewy.

I asked the waitress the difference b/w Buffalo and Jersey wings. She told us that Jersey wings were made with a cheese, garlic, lemon and oil sauce. So, we got an order of Jersey wings to try, and they were pretty decent. They were almost like a wings scampi style with a hint of Romano. Tasty, but not a "must order."

The burger was excellent. Ordered medium rare, served just a touch shy of that with lettuce tomato and mushrooms. A side of better than expected fries. On top of everything the burger was served on a solid bun that did not wilt under the juice of the burger.

--my problem with the burger at both Pal's Cabin and the Franklin Steakhouse is that they are both served on an inadequate bun. It's always a disapointment when the bun has sloughed away far before the burger is finished. This was not a problem at MRH.

Accompanied by a glass of Guiness, I couldn't have been any happier.

The servers were friendly and efficient, and they make a solid burger. Thanks for the recommendation!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

It really depends upon whether you are looking for a "fast-food" type burger, or a "burger & beer" joint to sit down and chill at.

For Burger and Beer, the best burger in Montclair is at South Park Grill, corner of Park and Church Sts. It's winter now, but in the good weather the outside seating is lots of fum. Inside, they have about 4 TVs going.

Fast Food, take a 15 minute ride to The Hearth, Rte 46 West, Clifton. Really good charcoal burgers, unlimited pickles. Good stuff.

Fast Food, take a 15 minute ride to The Hearth, Rte 46 West, Clifton.  Really good charcoal burgers, unlimited pickles.  Good stuff.

They now limmit onions? Last time I was there they had big trays of onions too.

Living hard will take its toll...

• 1 year later...

For some time, I’ve also been sampling one of Jersey’s greatest assets: the hot dog. After numerous trips to Rutt’s, Syd’s, Libby’s, Hot Grill, and many others, I made it for the first time two weeks ago to Amazing Hot Dog and was duly impressed. Thanks to all NJ eGers for such great reporting.

But now I’m starting to do some research on Central/North Jersey burgers and found this thread. I’m looking for drive-in/lunch counter/slider kinda of burgers, but I’d be happy to sample the 6-oz+ guys, too. Also prefer griddled to flamed or broiled; steamed are fine, too (I’ll be hitting Ted’s in Meriden later this month). After reading this thread, ahamburgertoday, munchmobile roundups, and tommy’s and perlow's blogs, I’ve got the following on my radar:

● White Manna

● Pal’s Cabin (½-lbers though they appear to be)

● Michael’s Roscommon House

● The Hearth

I'm also gonna try a Red Robin; discovered we have Fatburger not far from Philly.

Now, the place I really wanted to try was Burger Express in Carteret – it’s just what I’m looking for. Unfortunately, it appears to have been shuttered earlier this year. I did find this mention by ejebud in the RIP Restaurants thread

My childhood memories were:

Burger Express-New Providence

Does that Burger Express still exist? I can only find a scant few mentions via google. Is/was it related to the other Burger Express in Carteret? There’s also a mention of one in Springfield. Is that around?

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Also for points south of Trenton – it’s an easy hop for me from Philly.

Thanks.

White Rose in Roselle is my favorite place for greasy griddled burgers. Similar, but better than White Mana, White Manna, and White Diamond. Burger Express was a frequent stop after Mets games. Good cheese fries, wings, and Taylor Ham, egg and cheese, but the burgers were mediocre. A few years ago it was reviewed by the Munchmobile and the consensus was that it was the worst burger reviewed. But ok at 2:00 AM.

John the hot dog guy

is white rose in roselle related to white rose in linden?

i'd say it's white mana>white rose(linden)>white manna

iirc there was a burger express on the springfield/millburn border years ago, but it's no longer around. i remember sitting in the train car booths as a kid.

But now I’m starting to do some research on Central/North Jersey burgers and found this thread.  I’m looking for drive-in/lunch counter/slider kinda of burgers, but I’d be happy to sample the 6-oz+ guys, too.  Also prefer griddled to flamed or broiled; steamed are fine, too (I’ll be hitting Ted’s in Meriden later this month).  After reading this thread, ahamburgertoday, munchmobile roundups, and tommy’s and perlow's blogs, I’ve got the following on my radar:

● White Manna

● Pal’s Cabin (½-lbers though they appear to be)

● Michael’s Roscommon House

● The Hearth

For the kind of burger you seek, you're just not going to find a better version than White Manna in Hackensack.

Pal's makes a decent 1/2lb burger. The Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley does it better. Michael's Roscommon House tops both Pals and Franklin. However, I do prefer the fries at Franklin to Michael's, especially because I really enjoy sweet potato fries that to my knowledge are not offered at Michael's.

I have not tried The Hearth.