• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Most Regular and Loyal Customer

Andy Lynes

I ate recently at Orrery restaurant in London. During the meal I got chatting to the staff who told me that their most regular customer just made his 850th visit. That would be pretty astounding for for any restaurant, but more so when you consider that Orrery has been open less than 9 years. You, as they say, do the math.

So, can anyone beat that?

I once had conversation with a restauranteur in Providence and asked him a similar question. He said he had one regular who had eaten three to four times a week at his place for several years (usually ordering the same dish, too). Not quite 850, but getting there.

The math I start doing involves the cost: thrice weekly for fifty weeks is 150 visits, each at, say, $40 back in those days (assuming he dined alone), means about $6K per annum. Did he splurge on weekends?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

So he ate there about 4 times a week, well I guess I am on my way to hitting this mark with Pegu and possibly Blue Ribbon if things continue the way they have been over the last number of years(Blue R., Pegu is still only coming up on the five month mark).

My aunt lives in a small town in Nebraska -- a rural farming community. She worked for years at the local cafe, which was open 6 days per week. The same group of widowed farmers would come in every single day they were open for lunch She worked there for 10 years, and said that a off and on they'd be gone for a day or two, but that was it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My aunt lives in a small town in Nebraska -- a rural farming community.  She worked for years at the local cafe, which was open 6 days per week.  The same group of widowed farmers would come in every single day they were open for lunch  She worked there for 10 years, and said that a off and on they'd be gone for a day or two, but that was it.

I'll wager there are millions of those stories. My grandfather ran a restaraunt and served breakfast for 30 years. Had the same crowd of regulars there every morning, such that even after he retired and sold the restaraunt to his son, he'd still come in some mornings just to visit with his old regulars at their table. No question as to whether any of them would be there. If they weren't present you gave em a call to check on em, because you knew they weren't well.