• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Oyster with Ginger and Green Onion

hzrt8w

Oyster with Ginger and Green Onion (薑蔥生蠔)

Oyster with Ginger and Green Onion is a very popular Cantonese seafood dish. It is very easy to make at home.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_2419_2078.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2

Preparations:

gallery_19795_2419_30174.jpg

Main ingredients: (From left, clockwise)

- 2 jars of fresh oyster, about 12 oz in each jar

- 7 to 8 green onions

- ginger, use 2 to 3 inch in length

- 5 to 6 cloves of garlic

gallery_19795_2419_12995.jpg

Pour the fresh oysters from the jars to a colander. Rinse under water to clean off any sand. Drain.

gallery_19795_2419_24683.jpg

Trim ends from the green onions. Cut at about 2-inches apart. Peel the ginger with a small spoon. Cut into very thin slices. Peel and mince the garlic.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_2419_20067.jpg

Use a pan/wok, set stove at medium. Add 4 tblsp of cooking oil. Use a small bowl and add 1/4 cup of corn starch to coat the oyster before frying.

gallery_19795_2419_13895.jpg

While the oysters are still in the colander, sprinkle about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of salt evenly on top. Lay each piece of oyster on the bed of corn starch. Use a spoon to evenly coat both sides of the oyster with corn starch. Shake off the excess coating.

gallery_19795_2419_1268.jpg

Add to the frying pan and fry the oyster at medium heat.

gallery_19795_2419_6636.jpg

Quickly coat the remaining of the oysters (about a dozen) and add to the frying pan. Fry until the coating turns brown, about 2 minutes for each side.

gallery_19795_2419_7472.jpg

Remove oysters from pan and drain off excess oil. (You may put a piece of paper towel to absorb the excess oil.)

gallery_19795_2419_10116.jpg

Start with a clean pan/wok. Set stove at high. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil starts fuming. Add minced garlic, sliced ginger, and the white portion of the sliced green onions. Add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of salt (or to taste).

gallery_19795_2419_31102.jpg

Quickly dash in 2-3 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. Let it induce a quick flame. Stir the mixture well. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 1 tsp of sugar and 3 tsp of oyster sauce. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then add corn starch slurry (suggest: 1-2 tsp of corn starch, mix in 2 tsp of water) to thicken the sauce to the right consistency.

gallery_19795_2419_18668.jpg

Return the oyster to the pan. Add the remaining green portion of the green onions. Stir and toss. Cook for one to two more minute. Make sure the sauce is coated evenly on the oysters. Finished. Transfer mixture to a serving dish.

gallery_19795_2419_2078.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

ah leung, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so kind as to post these tutorials. i come from a family where cooking has always been avoided whenever possible. this perhaps why i have such a voracious appetite (pardon the pun) for all things to do with food. i have never known where to look nor whom to ask about techniques and the like - whenever i cook chinese, it isn't far off from what westerners do - thrown it in the pan and stir! this is one reason why i cook western food almost all the time.

however, 2 nights ago, i went to my cousin's place and his wife (from china) showed us all how to make the dough for swei gau and wor tip. she also enlightened us about the appropriate combinations of meats and vegetables - we had cilantro and pork mince for the filling which according to her was a definite no no. cilantro is to be used with lamb when making dumplings. i just told her very simply not to regard me as chinese, but as a westerner!

your legacy is honourable!

thank you again.

lynn

hzrt --- This will be Friday night's shellfish dinner! So simple, and yet so elegant. It looks wonderful!

I have kept away from most dishes that used any pork or eggs or oil in goodly amounts because of a medication induced lipid problem. BUT this week I expect good news, and this dish and the 'honey pork' will be high on the list of goodies.

hzrt8w--

i have *so* much enjoyed your pictorial Chinese cuisine series, I wonder if you could index or post them somewhere towards the top of the (Chinese cuisine) page/board/site? you're already on pictorial 43~!

:smile:

thanks a lot, now i know what to do with these things i find in Chinatown here (Montreal)

:smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

[...] we had cilantro and pork mince for the filling which according to her was a definite no no. cilantro is to be used with lamb when making dumplings. i just told her very simply not to regard me as chinese, but as a westerner!

Thank you very much for your kind words, Lynn, jo-mel, gas_tatory and Chris!

I wonder why your friend said cilantro and minced pork is a no-no? That's how I do my potstickers. (Your post made me itchy to make it again, and take some pictures along the way...)

I think they put cabbage and a bit of leek in making potsticker filling. Well... different recipes put in different things.

[...] I wonder if you could index or post them somewhere towards the top of the (Chinese cuisine) page/board/site? you're already on pictorial 43~!

Can do! I was thinking along that line too. I need to brush up on my BBCode skills to create tables. I have tried to post a table before. It worked okay. But when I wanted to take it one step further to include a thumbwheel picture in each line, I got myself into trouble. Perhaps I would post just the text links for the time being. I will discuss with Kris about pinning it up. I just need to be able to refresh it from time to time.

Originally I was kind of thinking that I would wait until I get to 100th before creating an index... :raz:

The index table will be designed like a typical Chinese restaurant menu. :smile:

Ah Leung, thanks again. When I've had this dish, it's been in a hot pot. Would you prepare the main ingredients in the same ratios? Anything else to add?

They usually put fried tofu and a few pieces of Cantonese roast pork in the oyster clay pot. And they use more broth/oyster-sauce to make the sauce.

I have made this clay pot dish that sounds like what you are looking for:

Oyster with Roast Pork and Tofu in Clay Pot (火腩生蠔煲)

Take a look.

my cousin's wife is puk fong, and she is quite adamant as to what goes with what. we bought snow pea sprouts to fry with some beef or pork and she said we couldn't do that - the sprouts were only suitable for seafood dishes. my cousins and i wouldn't have the foggiest as to the appropriate combinations - as i told her, regard me as a westerner because i was born here (sydney) and my cousins have been here for a very long time. nice to know you would have done the same as us though, with the cilantro and pork.

i remember muttering to my cousins, in hokkien, that she could tell us all the secret techniques, but they would be lost on us (i talk to her in cantonese and in really bad mandarin because she doesn't understand hokkien).

oh well, i made wor tip again today and used whatever i had on hand for the filling and they were fine - better than bought, and the skin was very nice and silky. i'll just tell her that her filling suggestion have been well regarded!

i've sent my cousin a link to your pictorials - no need to tell you that she was suitably impressed. i hope you realise that you are a godsend to people like us.

thanks again.

lynn

hzrt ---- I made this tonight , along with bok choy and garlic, and it was great! Easy and sooooo tasty! Even DH liked it, and he is strictly an oysters on the half shell kind of guy.

Of course, we are going to be 'garlic breath' for a few days, but since it is a mutual thing, that's OK!

hzrt ---- I made this tonight , along with bok choy and garlic, and it was great!  Easy and sooooo tasty!  Even DH liked it, and he is strictly an oysters on the half shell kind of guy.

Thanks Jo-mel. Glad to hear that. I love this dish. I sometimes order it in restaurants. Tasty they are, but in the restaurant they give you something like 6 to 8 (max) small oysters in each order. Charging US$8 to $10. Just reminds me why I cook at home often...

• 3 years later...

Oyster with Ginger and Green Onion (薑蔥生蠔)

I just had this yesterday for the first time at one of my favorite Cantonese (and others) restaurant and it was great. I had a couple of oysters and other ingredients left over which I brought home. Before I read this recipe, I took 2 jars of oysters, grained them, added the juice to the left-overs, dipped the pysters in corn starch and fried them in chili oil and then added the left-overs and a tablespoon of minced ginger. This will be my dinner tonight!

We all miss Leung and wish he would come back!

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the step-by-step guide again. Made this one the weekend with fresh shucked oysters... over the top perhaps but it was delicious.

Quite tricky getting the oyster coated lightly in the cornflour without it getting soggy. Definitely a quick task to get the perfect "light" fried texture.

Flavour and texture was harmonious and I didn't even miss the chilli. :laugh:

Definitely one I'll make again...

Thanks for the step-by-step guide again. Made this one the weekend with fresh shucked oysters... over the top perhaps but it was delicious.

Quite tricky getting the oyster coated lightly in the cornflour without it getting soggy. Definitely a quick task to get the perfect "light" fried texture.

I dunk the oysters in a pot of boiling water for acouple of seconds, drain, then coat with cornflour. They are not as soggy then.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

does anyone rub the oysters with salt and then rinse before using them? I saw this in a Chinese cookbook...supposed to make them less slimy.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

does anyone rub the oysters with salt and then rinse before using them? I saw this in a Chinese cookbook...supposed to make them less slimy.

I do that with shrimp -- making them nice and firm. But never thought of oysters. You would have to rub gently, I would imagine.

• 1 month later...

I do that with shrimp -- making them nice and firm. But never thought of oysters. You would have to rub gently, I would imagine.

I was probably thinking of shrimp too...I seem to be suffering from CRS (Can't Remember S...)!

• 3 weeks later...

I was probably thinking of shrimp too...I seem to be suffering from CRS (Can't Remember S...)!

ah ha..I was right the first time! I just read in "Classic Chinese Cooking" Quantum Books 1996..."rub oysters thoroughly with salt and corn starch and then wash them in water".!

• 9 months later...

ah ha..I was right the first time! I just read in "Classic Chinese Cooking" Quantum Books 1996..."rub oysters thoroughly with salt and corn starch and then wash them in water".!

I also just found it again, this time in "Five Treasures of Chinese Cuisine" by Chang & Fuchs published 1977!