• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TV Shows: The Old -- and the New?

Welcome, Sara, to the eG Conversation!

Of course, most of us have gotten to know you through your long career on television. We know that your stint at Food TV has just now come to an end, and we have heard tell that a new project at PBS may be in the works. What have your past experiences on television taught you about food media, and what TV projects might you hope to do in the future, near or far?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris,

Even before my gig at the food network was up a producer friend of mine, Julia Harrison, who had produced many great shows at the food network, contacted me for a show concept she had come up with and already gotten approval for from WGBH in Boston, the station I started at with Julia C. in the late 70's. Julia Harrison is currently the producer for Ming's and Lydia's show.

Anyway, public television takes a long time to make happen so we are in the middle of it. We have come up with a show that is very educational and not esoteric but I cannot tell you yet what the concept is because we don't want anyone to steal it. It is very hard to copyright a concept.

There will be 26 episodes and we have already figured out the topics for all of them We will have a few guests and perhaps a few field trips. We will make a companion book to go along with it. I hope we are taping by the end of spring but I understand the best time to launch a pbs show is in September so that will probably be the date. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to weigh in on what they would like to be covered, please let me know.

I have a second pbs show that I am working on with chefs I am sure you know and like, Jacques Pepin, Martin Yan and Mary Ann Esposito. Again I cannot tell you what the concept is but I think this might happen even sooner than the other show.

I will post the info on my website, saramoulton.com and certainly send an announcement as well to egullet.

Sara Moulton

Sara . . . Both prospects are really exciting. But I am really looking forward to the educational one.

This topic has been intriguing me lately . . . US raised Wagyu beef.

I really covet a brisket from a Wagyu cow. (I do Texas style smoked brisket.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Chris,

Even before my gig at the food network was up a producer friend of mine, Julia Harrison, who had produced many great shows at the food network, contacted me for a show concept she had come up with and already gotten approval for from WGBH in Boston, the station I started at with Julia C. in the late 70's. Julia Harrison is currently the producer for Ming's and Lydia's show.

Anyway, public television takes a long time to make happen so we are in the middle of it. We have come up with a show that is very educational and not esoteric but I cannot tell you yet what the concept is because we don't want anyone to steal it. It is very hard to copyright a concept.

There will be 26 episodes and we have already figured out the topics for all of them We will have a few guests and perhaps a few field trips. We will make a companion book to go along with it. I hope we are taping by the end of spring but I understand the best time to launch a pbs show is in September so that will probably be the date. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to weigh in on what they would like to be covered, please let me know.

I have a second pbs show that I am working on with chefs I am sure you know and like, Jacques Pepin, Martin Yan and Mary Ann Esposito. Again I cannot tell you what the concept is but I think this might happen even sooner than the other show.

I will post the info on my website, saramoulton.com and certainly send an announcement as well to egullet.

...Awesome, all of it! Especially

We will make a companion book to go along with it.

And thank you for the offer to weigh in on ideas about what we would like to be covered. I am giving that some thought!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.