• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why the spate of Closed Victoria restaurants

300rwhp

A brief walk through town today and passing by many restaurants, I noticed that many are closed. Bravo, Herald St, Brasserie, Wild Saffron, any others people have noticed? Is this just renos, seasonal, or what?

When are these places if any planning on reopening? I know brasserie has posted by late january they hope to be open.

A brief walk through town today and passing by many restaurants, I noticed that many are closed. Bravo, Herald St, Brasserie, Wild Saffron, any others people have noticed? Is this just renos, seasonal, or what?

Herald Street? Wow I am really surprised they are closed. Perhaps there is a logical explanation?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

If you check the Vancouver Island thread you'll see that the "Real Sparky" confirmed that Brasserie l'Ecole is undergoing significant renovations to its kitchen and had hoped to open soon.

The Jan/Feb issue of EAT reported that Wild Saffron was going to be closed for most of January for more renovations with a planned re-opening toward month's end in contemplation of a busy Valentine's Day and Dine Around February.

Not living in Victoria I am not sure about the most recent incarnation of the Herald Street Cafe but the "impression" I got from others and from reading posts at this web-site is that they were having trouble...people, food, service, etc.. Have to say that the past two visits we had there were not particularly impressive.

Bravo I am not familiar with.

Perhaps Shelora, Memo or Sparky will chime in with the actual news.

HERE is the post that will answer all (or most) queries.

AS to why ... I dunno. I'm not in the biz, but if I were remodeling, this would be the time of year I'd do it. Also, Victoria is getting set for their version of Dine Out, so a fresh coat of varnish on the bar would be nice. After all, Chambar did their reno's just before DOV over here.

Makes sense. Nothing nefareous as far as I can see. :rolleyes:

A.

i was not suggesting anything nefarious, only curious as to why so many were closed and as to whether others had also closed for a period. As the link pertains to mostly brasserie and herald i do not see why that should sum this thread up either.

From my experience, January closures are regular fare in Victoria. This is a time not only to separate the wheat from the chaff, but a time when restaurants refurbish, renovate, go on holidays or generally take a breather before getting into the new year.

(J & J Wonton is closed until March 1st this year).

Why certain restaurants become successful and others not is something of huge debate. We could discuss that topic until the cows come home.

Another quirk of Victoria restaurants are the amount that close two days a week - usually Sunday and Monday. This drives me crazy. Even in the heat of summer tourism, they stick to their ritual of two days off a week. Crazy lil thing called Victoria.

This drives me crazy. Even in the heat of summer tourism, they stick to their ritual of two days off a week.  Crazy lil thing called Victoria.

Could be worse.

Last I was in Duncan there was a decent Mediterranean place that I later recommended to some friends who were doing a Winery tour in the area.

They found it closed Saturday night!!!!!

Only in Duncan........ :rolleyes:

Brasserie "l'ecole" is now open. New kitchen took longer than anticipated but should have been expected. The dining room looks exactly the same except for the dusting of areas that normally don't get dusted.

Herald St Caffee has a new owner(s ?) and is apperantly keeping the name. If you count all of the transfers of ownership from partner to partner I beleive we are now seeing the 6th. They plan to be open very soon (end of this month)

Bravo is closed for good.

Brasserie will always be open only 5 nights a week. That way it will be impossible to eat here on the chef's night off.

-sparky

Herald St Caffee has a new owner(s ?) and is apperantly keeping the name. If you count all of the transfers of ownership from partner to partner I beleive we are now seeing the 6th. They plan to be open very soon (end of this month)

Enough. Call it Phoenix. Call it Zaire. Call it Next. Call it The Immaculate Redemption. Call it One Block From Discovery Street Caffe. Call it Svend. Call it The Death Star. Call it whatever, but for the love of the Year of the Dog (and in fear of putting this pup to sleep), call it something other than the Herald Street Caffe.

If Bud skipped to Hawaii and Joe Fortes closed tomorrow, the new owners wouldn't change the name. If it sucked and was going downhill, they'd change it quickly. If it had died 5 times previously, finally leaving a stench of overpriced mediocrity wafting down Government Street like so many fart zephyrs, they'd buy a big bag of chalk and start thinking on a new name immediately.

But perhaps I'm missing something. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the reasoning behind the name keep?

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Re Herald Street Caffe

I hate to say it, but I think they're keeping the name so as to capitalize on tourists who have old dog eared copies of "Northwest Best Places" that state Herald Street is the place to be in Victoria.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to the reasoning behind the name keep?

My ventured guess is that the new owners have fond memories (going back a couple of decades) of Herald Street Caffe - and would like to return it to its former glory.

In other words, the wrong reason to (re)open a restaurant.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Re Herald Street Caffe

I hate to say it, but I think they're keeping the name so as to capitalize on tourists who have old dog eared copies of "Northwest Best Places" that state Herald Street is the place to be in Victoria.

Methinks this answer is closest to the truth :biggrin:

A.

Brenda/Memo:

You are likely both correct.

It literally has been decades since my first venture to the Herald Street Cafe. It bore little resemblance to the "relatively" current versions I have experienced more recently.

I remember good valued interesting food and a terrific wine list.

Back then our favourite was Rebecca's where the D'Arcy McGee pub is now below what at that time was Harpo's adjacent to Bastion Square across from the inner harbour.

I asked one of the servers where else we should eat and she suggested the Herald Street Cafe.

What is its history? Was Greg at Brio one of the orginal owners/operators?

What is its history?  Was Greg at Brio one of the orginal owners/operators?

Original owners were Mark Finnigan, his partner Helen Bell and Greg Hayes, now owner of Cafe Brio. Sylvia Marcolini (now co-owner of Cafe Brio and partner of Greg Hayes) waited tables there. When they first opened, I believe there were other investors, but that was before my time.

Greg was in charge of front of house, Mark, the kitchen and Helen Bell headed up the bread and desserts.

I could go on.

And yeah!!! Brasserie is open. Let's storm the bastions!

A few more for the January list this year are J & J Wonton Noodle House, closed until March 1st. Rumour has it that they will be opening only for lunch upon their return.

The Blue Fox is closed until the 28th of this month for a much needed reno and vacation. I feel sorry for the folks that have been wandering around in front of the place, confused.

Hugo's is undergoing a major renovation. A new look. A new concept. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the "hisory lesson" Shelora...much obliged. It must have been quite the spot with Greg and Sylvia both working tables....we have had a hoot with them at Brio.

If the Victoria eGulleteer's do "storm" Sparky and co. at Brasserie l'Ecole we'd sure like to join you...we'll be out from the 25th of Feb through Mr. 1st and Brasserie is always on our list of where to eat.....

Currently visiting Ontario before our move to the deep south, I am craving the flavours of my beloved west coast - Bob - try everything for me at the end of February and don't spare any descriptive words when you are done - haha! Would love to have another wonderful meal at either Brio or Brasserie L'Ecole - hmmm.