• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saugy Dogs

Heading home from Providence tomorrow (Sunday) around noon. Have eaten well - will get to that once I get the pics off the camera. But the one speciality that has proven elusive is the Saugy Dog. Do any of the hot dog joints in Providence or Rhode Island grill up genuine Saugy Dogs?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Saugies rule. I miss them so much.

To shamelessly quote my own self, this is what I wrote in my column last year about saucy weiners:

I have to mention my favorite hot dog, the snappy saugy. Like NY System, it’s from Rhode Island, but there any similarity ends. It’s not available at weiner stands but rather in delis and grocery stores around that state. I always thought the name was shorthand for “sausage” until researching this column, when I discovered that the company that makes it was actually founded 135 years ago by Messrs. Augustus and Alphonse Saugy. The longish, German-style, natural-casing hot dogs are delicious boiled ‘til they pop and then topped with spicy brown mustard. How I miss them. They can be mail-ordered for forty bucks for three pounds from the source, but I balk at doing that, making do with my second favorite dog, the garlicky, salty Sabrett.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

I'm not usually one to take a state to task. Especially a state with such wierd and down right tasty indiginous cuisine. But how can it be that among all the Rhode Island eateries there are none that grill up the state's most famous hot dog?

Softening the blow a bit were the chili cheese dogs, a side of chili cheese fries and a coffee milk shake from Haven Brothers, which rolls up along side City Hall every evening.

gallery_14_2446_125227.jpg

gallery_14_2446_73202.jpg

gallery_14_2446_84559.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm not usually one to take a state to task.  Especially a state with such wierd and down right tasty indiginous cuisine.  But how can it be that among all the Rhode Island eateries there are none that grill up the state's most famous hot dog?

[

I think it is a marketing strategy-- after their bankruptcy and re-organization (3 or 4 years ago?) they are focusing on the grocery store market rather than the restaurant market...

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

• 11 months later...