• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congee

That's Yee Sang Jook. My dad's favorite, but I've yet to get past my fear of raw fish, though I know it's not really raw already.

Is it possible? - to have raw fish on top of jook. Jook is usually served boiling hot. And the moment you add some raw fish slices in it, the fish will become cooked, won't they?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

That's Yee Sang Jook. My dad's favorite, but I've yet to get past my fear of raw fish, though I know it's not really raw already.

Is it possible? - to have raw fish on top of jook. Jook is usually served boiling hot. And the moment you add some raw fish slices in it, the fish will become cooked, won't they?

You see, they don't serve it like that here.

They give you the porridge in a bowl, and the fish on a separate plate. And if you're eating at the market (where the good porridge usually is), it's self-serve, so it's not really boiling hot by the time you manage to find your seat again.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Ooh...duck jook is my favorite (is anyone surprised?).  My mom used to get duck heads and make them into jook.  :wub: I usually just make jook from whatever bones are in the freezer.

Be careful! I am seeing a Hannibal Lecter in the becoming in the ducks' world! :laugh:

:laugh: (heh-heh Good evening, Clarice)

About 1/3 of my freezer is fodder for soup stock (bones, shrimp shells, even a lobster carcass). In restaurants, I've been known to ask for a doggy bag for my bones...and I don't have a dog.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 2 weeks later...

SheenaGreena:

oh and phage, hobak juk is the way to go! My mother used to buy packets of it from the tea section of the grocery store and it would taste good even then. It was more of a gruel, but it tasted like candy...so good!

The term "gruel" is not allowed at this time. :wink:

Why not - isn't it a grueling experience, cooking the rice so long and trying to keep it from burning....

-- Phage

Gac

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I suspect that what I'm about to ask is painfully basic for those knowledgeable in Chinese cooking, but here goes. I just made a fish congee, the recipe for which directed that the fish be marinated with salt, pepper, a dash of sesame oil and a pinch of cornstarch. What is the function of the cornstarch here?

Diana - in the chinese restaurants that I've been to in the Philippines, the fish is lightly deep fried so that it takes a slightly crispy coating. Then again, some just steam the fish.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'm sorry, my question wasn't very clear. After the marination, the fish was just added to the congee, which is what confused me. I mean, the congee doesn't need to be thickened and it seemed that the cornstarch would have just rinsed off in the liquid so I can't see what it was doing for the fish. And such a very small amount, too. I have to say it was one of the most delicious things ever, even if I don't understand it!

I'm sorry, my question wasn't very clear. After the marination, the fish was just added to the congee, which is what confused me. I mean, the congee doesn't need to be thickened and it seemed that the cornstarch would have just rinsed off in the liquid so I can't see what it was doing for the fish. And such a very small amount, too. I have to say it was one of the most delicious things ever, even if I don't understand it!

Hi Diana,

The purpose is the same as "velveting" meat before stir-frying. The small amount of cornstarch gives the slices of fish a velvet texture as it is quickly cooked in the congee. It really makes a difference.

I usually add more than "a pinch." :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What kind of sauce is that SobaAddict70? It looks like there's possibly some sesame oil too?

oh sorry, here I am seven months later replying to your question. :raz:

it's just mushroom soy sauce with a little sesame oil. toppings included broiled chicken breast, scallions and pickled ginger (ginger root, rice wine vinegar, salt).

I have one more question. Is "jook" pronounced more like "book" or "juke"?
Diana, try this link: http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi...ch.php?q=%B5%B0

There are 2 ways to pronounce the character for "jook".

Listen to the sound file against the zuk1 pronunciation.

I've heard Koreans say it like "juke" but with a shorter "oo" sound.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but I will revive :)

For me, I usually make an Indian version of congee. But when I do make "Chinese style" I like to cook the rice with just a few ginger slices, for at least 3 hours so it's really creamy. Sometimes I add a little celery when there is only 1 hour left, depends how I feel. I serve it with greens that have been stir-fried with lots of garlic and chilli and seasoned with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil (use more of all the seasonings then you would usually - as people will only be adding a little to their congee). I also serve ginger slices, fresh coriander and spring onions, plus extra soy sauce. Yum...

But let me tell you about kanji in Kerala. This is not something you will get in a fancy restaurant, but if you stay at someones home you might be able to try it. When I stayed with some friends in Kerala for six weeks, we sometimes had it for breakfast or for a late supper. It's really easy to digest and so soothing for your stomach. Made with rosematta rice (so it had a very slight pinkish look), the rice is parboiled so it becomes very soft but does not turn to mush. It was always served with payar, which are whole moong beans cooked dry (e.g not a wet soupy dish) with a few seasonings such as onion, curry leaves, ginger, etc. For me, this is pure comfort food.

What about elsewhere in India? Well, travelling through Madhya Pradesh, I noticed "rice soup" on several hotel's menus. I thought to myself, this must be kanji, and so I often ordered it when I wanted something light and comforting to eat. Seasoned with ghee and sometimes a few cumin seeds, I liked to also add a little freshly ground black pepper.

I have heard that in the North East of India, rice gruels are made by cooking rice with lots of water and leaving overnight to ferment slightly, sometimes with a little yoghurt added. Now I have had kanji with yoghurt, but not fermented! And in Goa they have something called pez which is another congee dish.

In fact, the traditional Indian medicine system Ayurvda has a number of gruels and soups made from grains that are prescribed for invalids and those who need a light diet. Plus of course, there is the wet version of khichdi, which adds dal to make a nutritious one pot meal for someone under the weather, or in need of comforting, easy to digest food.

At home, I always made kanji very simply as a light breakfast or supper dish, usually made quite plain and eaten with a dry vegetable dish and/or condiments. Sometimes with yoghurt added too. Nowadays, I often make Kerala style kanji, because it's so good.

I have always thought of kanji and other rice gruels/porridges/soups as something that can only really be appreciated by someone who eats rice everyday, two or three times a day. As one of those kind of people, I have always enjoyed it! But I see now that Chinese style congees have brought this wonderful dish to a whole new audience of people. And I think that can only be a good thing!

Edited by Jenni (log)