• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking the sweet pulse of Kansas City...

Will be able to report on Irina's Bakery, next to Kaiyo restaurant, at 119th and Roe shortly. We got black and white cookies, dinner rolls, and a slab (and I do mean slab) of mocha roll. My husband walked in, inhaled deeply, and said with reverence, "It actually *smells* like a bakery."

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

A friend just told me about her favorite Murray's Ice Cream flavor - "One Dumb Drunk." It's coffee with Frangelico, hazelnuts and chocolate in some vague form. Has anyone every had this? It sounds like u.e. heaven!!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

A friend just told me about her favorite Murray's Ice Cream flavor - "One Dumb Drunk."  It's coffee with Frangelico, hazelnuts and chocolate in some vague form.  Has anyone every had this?  It sounds like u.e. heaven!! 

u.e.

Okay, I can't help but crack myself up - I got the name of the flavor wrong - it's "One Drunk Monk!!" :laugh:

Ahem....

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I recently had "Cake and Cream" ..a flavor at Murray's that consists of Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Icing, Vanilla Cake, and Vanilla Icing. It was really good. Oh and I had it with one of their handmade waffle cones dipped in chocolate and rainbow sprinkles (you gotta have sprinkles on your birthday cake, right??).

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I don't remember anyone posting about this but.. Foo's Fabulous Frozen Custard is open now at the Mission & 95th Street Location next to Chocolate Soup by the McDonalds. I noticed they have a decent sized lounge area in the back with a fireplace and seating.

I had the Mint and Oreo Cookie Crumble Concrete thingy and it was extremely smooth and of course with the cookies being coarse and crunchy. I grabbed a couple of Christopher Elbow Chocolates as well..mmm tasty.

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I don't remember anyone posting about this but.. Foo's Fabulous Frozen Custard is open now at the Mission & 95th Street Location next to Chocolate Soup by the McDonalds. I noticed they have a decent sized lounge area in the back with a fireplace and seating.

I had the Mint and Oreo Cookie Crumble Concrete thingy and it was extremely smooth and of course with the cookies being coarse and crunchy. I grabbed a couple of Christopher Elbow Chocolates as well..mmm tasty.

Great work JWest! Sadly, the last time I popped in, they were still installing their espresso machine and freezers. But, I did get to see the interior... very industrial, although the fireplace and plush couches helped.

Gotta love the Elbow.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Pastry Lady place in Briarcliffe yet?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Has anyone tried the Pastry Lady place in Briarcliffe yet?

Yes, sorry, haven't had time to report yet. I had one of their almond frangipanes. Not enough almond filling. The dough was too tough for me - the brioche-like bread was too dense and not very good.

I will note something interesting: I called The Pastry Goddess (Independence location) to get the telephone number for the one at Briarcliff. I happened to ask for the prices and they said that their pastries are generally $1.50, but that all the (same) pastries at Briarcliff are $2. I appreciate that the rent may be higher at one, but I found that price differential a little off-putting. He did mention that the Independence location would be raising their pastry prices by $.25.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account