• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Difference between Hotpot and Irish Stew

jackal10

What is the difference between Lancashire Hot Pot and Irish Stew?

Both are lamb, potatoes and onion (optional carrots), with a layer of browned potatoes on the top. Are they the two names (and traditions) for the same delicious dish?

Pedantic mind needs to know...

What is the difference between Lancashire Hot Pot and Irish Stew?

Both are lamb, potatoes and onion (optional carrots), with a layer of browned potatoes on the top. Are they the two names (and traditions) for the same delicious dish?

Pedantic mind needs to know...

I can't be 100% sure on this, but here's where I see the difference:

* Lancashire hotpot includes kidney and Worcestershire sauce (probably a later addition), Irish stew never does.

* Irish stew is cooked completely on the stove, whereas hotpot is cooked in the oven, so you don't get the layer of browned potatoes on top, rather potatoes that have stewed in considerably more liquid. Also the potatoes are sliced in hotpot, whereas they are either whole or cut into large pieces in an Irish stew.

* Purists will not include carrots in Irish stew, but I think the same goes for hotpot.

* Traditionally, Irish stew was just flavoured with salt, pepper and maybe some parsley. This could be the same for hotpot, although I think it generally includes thyime.

* Irish stew was traditionally made with mutton, but I'd imagine that hotpot is the same.

But... don't take my word as gospel on any of this!

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

I have never heard of an example of Irish Stew cooked in the oven, which isn't to say that they don't exist.

There are a few variations on the Lancashire Hotpot, regional and over time. The version from Bolton (le-moor) contains onions, mushrooms, kidneys and oysters.

An the cooking vessel is and important point as well. HotPot is cooked in a Hotpot, like Paella and Tagine are named after the vessels, rather then the ingredients. This is the Bolton Hotpot, the pot I have is not traditional as it doesn't have straight sides.

gallery_1643_978_287952.jpg

gallery_1643_978_631278.jpg

Yes, pickled red cabbage is traditional with it. I have also read that the shape of the pot was determined by the local breed of sheep. These were quite lanky and the pot was designed to accomadate the longer shanks of the lamb neck shops. These would poke out the top like a crown. Sounds a little contrived to me though.

Do you have Florence White's 'Good things in England'? This has the Bolton recipe.

I have never heard of an example of Irish Stew cooked in the oven, which isn't to say that they don't exist.

There are a few variations on the Lancashire Hotpot, regional and over time. The version from Bolton (le-moor) contains onions, mushrooms, kidneys and oysters.

An the cooking vessel is and important point as well. HotPot is cooked in a Hotpot, like Paella and Tagine are named after the vessels, rather then the ingredients. This is the Bolton Hotpot, the pot  I have is not traditional as it doesn't have straight sides.

gallery_1643_978_287952.jpg

gallery_1643_978_631278.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... this looks delicious Adam. I knew you'd have the scoop on hotpot!

I'll add my recollection of what Lancashire hotpot should comprise, although I am only from Blackburn rather than the apparent culinary centre that is Bolton.

It is always lamb chops and I think usually neck chops. I also think it should have carrots in and each component (chops, potatoes, carrots and onions) should be in separate layers. This is rather like potjiekos (pot food) from South Africa where the different layers are ordered so that the ingredients that take more cooking are at the bottom, although I don't think that is the idea with hot pot because you can have more than one layer of each component.

The potatoes, I think are usually a waxy type and the slices are well browned on top of the hot pot, but still a firm consistency.

As for herbs and spices, I doubt there is very much in it usually apart from salt and pepper - possibly parsley.

Don't know if there really is a definitive version but I just polished off a very large serving of it! This thread brought back so many memories of my childhood in England that I HAD to have some Lancashire Hotpot. Lamb chops (no neck to be had) onions, potatoes, salt and pepper. If I don't control myself I will bursting out in song about the Lassie from Lancashire. I am from Derbyshire but family were spread about Lancashire and Yorkshire and even further afield.

I have vague but delicious memories of a dish with similar flavours that used butter beans - any one know of that one?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Don't know if there really is a definitive version but I just polished off a very large serving of it!  This thread brought back so many memories of my childhood in England that I HAD to have some Lancashire Hotpot.  Lamb chops (no neck to be had) onions, potatoes, salt and pepper.  If I don't control myself I will bursting out in song about the Lassie from Lancashire.  I am from Derbyshire but family were spread about Lancashire and Yorkshire and even further afield.

I have vague but delicious memories of a dish with similar flavours that used butter beans - any one know of that one?

In terms of lamb/mutton stews native to the British Isles, I have this list:

Hotposts - Lancashire, Bolton, Cumberland (also contains beef), Prosen (Scotland)

Stews - Lobscouse, Irish, Barley, Mushroom, Cider, Devilled neck, Jugged, Minted, Poor Mans Goose, Exmoor, Panjotheram, Tattie Pot, Haricot Mutton and lambs tails.

I am sure that there are many more.

The Haricot of mutton is the only stew I can think of that contains beans. Originally, it would not have contained beans, but the later (english) stews of this type do.

Don't know if there really is a definitive version but I just polished off a very large serving of it!  This thread brought back so many memories of my childhood in England that I HAD to have some Lancashire Hotpot.  Lamb chops (no neck to be had) onions, potatoes, salt and pepper.  If I don't control myself I will bursting out in song about the Lassie from Lancashire.  I am from Derbyshire but family were spread about Lancashire and Yorkshire and even further afield.

In terms of lamb/mutton stews native to the British Isles, I have this list:

Hotposts - Lancashire, Bolton, Cumberland (also contains beef), Prosen (Scotland)

Stews - Lobscouse, Irish, Barley, Mushroom, Cider, Devilled neck, Jugged, Minted, Poor Mans Goose, Exmoor, Panjotheram, Tattie Pot, Haricot Mutton and lambs tails.

I am sure that there are many more.

The Haricot of mutton is the only stew I can think of that contains beans. Originally, it would not have contained beans, but the later (english) stews of this type do.

I had no idea there were so many! I am only familiar with Irish Stew and Lancashire Hotpot. Do you know if dried beans are used in the Haricot of mutton? The beans I remember, I am sure, were dried beans, and like very, very large dried lima beans. As I recall there were onions, lamb and beans and it was cooked in the oven in a covered casserole. But I don't want to derail this thread so don't worry about it! I will keep looking. :smile: I am so glad Jack started this as it has revived my interest in the food I remember from my childhood.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna- I'm sure Jack will not mind too much.

Haricot of Mutton

1 kg best end of neck or breast of mutton

lard for frying

4 oz of haricot beans soaked overnight

1 kg of sliced onions

4 oz sliced turnips

salt and pepper

1 table worcestershire sauce

Trim meat and brown in lard. Cover meat with water and add other ingredients. Cook with lid on until done.

Poncy versions contain whole pickling onions, chestnuts, mace, herbs and wine.

In the UK a haricot bean is usually a large white kidney bean.

Anna- I'm sure Jack will not mind too much.

Haricot of Mutton

1 kg best end of neck or breast of mutton

lard for frying

4 oz of haricot beans soaked overnight

1 kg of sliced onions

4 oz sliced turnips

salt and pepper

1 table worcestershire sauce

Trim meat and brown in lard. Cover meat with water and add other ingredients. Cook with lid on until done.

Poncy versions contain whole pickling onions, chestnuts, mace, herbs and wine.

In the UK a haricot bean is usually a large white kidney bean.

That sounds just right. Thank you so much Adam (and Jack!). I will post my impressions after I make it.

My 2004 eG Blog