• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Diary Of A Life At CIA

Anthony, I am in awe of all of what you're doing. You have put in so much effort to make your experience at the CIA as rich as possible, and shared it here. And furthermore, you've gone above and beyond to enrich your colleagues' experience by inviting people like Sam Mason to give an evening of demos.

My question is what is the incentive you offer to someone like Chef Mason to come up for a night? Is this something professional chefs expect to be asked to do? Is there an honorarium in addition to the appreciative audience? And what are the logistics behind the tasting plates you offer the audience?

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Chef Andreini (one of my most favorites - a combinatin of smarts, skills, knowledge, and a great teacher).

Being a commuter student (from 50+ miles away), I didn't get to see many evening demos. Your posting here is letting me feel like I'm part of things. Thank you.

Have a wonderful Externship, Anthony!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

You know Margo, its all about professionalism. I had asked a chef the day before Sams event if he was going to come by and check it out because I thought he would be interested being a proactive pastry enthusiast. He looked at me and said, who is it, Alain Ducasse. I chuckled and said no, Sam Mason, you know that. He said a few things and basically told me to come to him when I bring someone that is a big name.

I really didn't know how to take it, so I smiled and shrugged it off.

I invite people like Sam to do events because it is the professional, out-going, individuals I want. The incentive is to be apart of anything and everything that could turn out great.

I told Sam I really wanted him to come up because a lot of the students here are unaware of the modern cuisine that is going on today. Many of them have never even heard of a hydrocolloid, much less specifically methylcellulose. I wanted Sam to help me open up their eyes to see that its no "chemical play", just a breakdown of substances we reincorporate to out favorite flavors and textures to create something new and innovative. During a meeting, After a long and persausive conversation about school and students, Sam looked off for a second and replied with a, "yea, lets make a day out of it".

There are many things I would have liked to have contributed to the event and to give Sam while he was here, but unfortunately I was basically a one man team up until 6 oclock tuesday evening. When I come back from extern I will take my time with the chefs. I will take them to dinner, give them tours, introduce them to selected students and chefs, really get them in deep with the school. I think Sam even wanted to hang out in Hyde Park for a little bit after the demo, but unfortunately it was take the 11pm train asap or take the 3:57am.

I have 6 months of extern awaiting me in just a couple days, but when I return in January, expect some sensational things. Because with these events being so popular and appreciated, there is nothing to stop me from doing less than 10 next year. Maybe even a grande event at the end.........

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Great stuff, Anthony!!!

One of the few times in my like I'm a bit envious of students!

Seems like great work and coordination with the event too.

Where are you doing your externship?

2317/5000

I don't have much to add to this thread other than to say I've been lurking here in eGullet for some time, and I have really been fascinated with this thread. I love the picutres. Very nicely done. You seem to be learning so much and school and a great deal of that is due to your own personal efforts. I'm sure you will excel at your career.

Good luck, and keep it coming.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Many of them have never even heard of a hydrocolloid, much less specifically methylcellulose.

Count me among them! Can anybody explain what those are and for what they're used?

take a look at this website to get an introduction.

then you can check out this thread to see what the laymen of eGullet are doing with some of the stuff.

of course there's more...

This is something I typed up for my chef instructor. The Homework was on pectin but I took it a little further. Hope this helps you get the jist of the hydrocolloid thing. Except for Tapioca Malto-dextrin.

Methyl Cellulose is a hydrophillic substance that dissolves in only cold water. It will then create a clear viscous gel. It is used as a thickener and an emulsifier in foods and cosmetics as well as a treatment for constipation. Methyl Cellulose is not digestible, non-toxic, and non-allergenic.

Methyl Cellulose does not occur naturally, it must be heated and treated with a caustic solution, aka sodium hydroxide, and methyl chloride.

The reason Methyl Cellulose will not dissolve in hot water is because it masks polar hydroxyl groups. These groups must stay cold upon solution or they will immediately solidify causing a paradoxical effect of a saturated solution.

You can find methyl cellulose in shampoos, toothpaste, liquid soaps, and also manufactured ice creams and whipped cream. Strangely enough methyl cellulose is the key ingredient in K-Y jelly.

You can use methyl cellulose for numerous things in food if you are looking for a particular gelling factor. It would be great for super thing sauces, or possibly thick sauces binding loose ones.

Gellan gum is one of the strongest gelling agents in the industry right now. And when I mean strong I basically mean versatile. It has an almost perfectly clear appearance and can withstand temperatures as high as 120degrees Celsius. You would only need half the amount of high acyl gellan to create the same effect that agar performs.

There are two forms of gellan, high acyl and low acyl. High acyl gellan has a higher concentration of divalent cations than low acyl. The higher the level of cations the strong it can gel. This is so because the cations attract more anodes, or negatively charged a anions, in food. The more the cation and anion bonding the stronger the substance obviously.

This doesn’t mean low acyl is a lesser product. The both have their place and both perform differently with a different end result. It is ideal to combine the two for the proper gelling factor you want to occur, (eg) 20% low acyl to 80% high acyl at a 4% ratio to lemon juice (for its citric acid). It is not neccessary to heat this solution to gel but for the best result it is reccommended. The gel starts to set up immediately depending on the ratio used. The heated mixture must go through a series of phases. The gellan will start to become less grainy and more smooth and clear in appearance. It will begin to thicken together, but this is an illusion. The mixture will then relax and/or lose its strength. This, by my theory, is just another dispersion of the compounds reforming bonds not before linked. It will then come back together during the heating stage and gel smoothly as the best product one will desire.

Many people think gellan is artificial but actually it is created biologically. The reason people believe this is because gellan does not occur in nature, that we know of, on its own. They create the bacterium that forms the gellan polysaccharide, it being Sphingomonas Elodea.

Tapioca Maltodextrin is a fine white powder with a neutral taste that is broken down from tapioca starch. It goes through enzymatic hydrolysis from natural, non-gmo, enzymes, and it is then dehydrated. If TMD is stored at ambient, low humidity, temperatures than it can last up to two years.

You can find tapioca maltodextrin in baby food, cereal bars, biscuits, confections, ice creams, sports drinks, etc.

Specifically the greatest thing about tapioca maltodextrin is it can turn any fat substance into a powder. Even foie gras fat can be turned directly into a powder. The chemical structure of tapioca maltodextrin is extremely hygroscopic. It does everything it can to find moisture, and in your mouth that’s exactly what it does. When the powder you put in your mouth finds the moisture in your saliva it immediately goes back to its original form binding all the moisture in your mouth. This gives you an instant flavor charge of whatever fat was used. It actually doesn’t even have to be a fat, it just has to be something with very low to no water content that can be combined with the maltodextrin. A good example of this would be caramelized sugar, since the window of h2o has been completely closed by the time it starts gathering color.

Xanthan gum, another gum formed from fermentation from bacteria, is actually the fermentation of glucose and sucrose. This polysaccharide occurs in nature naturally unlike gellan. One of the greatest benefits of xanthan gum is its ability to give high viscosity at a very low percentage. Xanthan is used lower than 1% to the mixture its being added to. With a high viscosity and a low shear rate (being stable), xanthan gum can make foods viscous and stable and still feel/appear light, especially in the mouth. Unlike other gums it is highly stable among a large array or temperatures and ph levels.

Guar Gum or Guaran is sometimes an overlooked hydro colloid but it definitely has its place. Guaran shares a similar viscosity to that of xanthan but is more closely related to locust bean gum because of it being a galactomannan. Guaran is more soluble than locust bean gum and has a higher low-shear rate than locust bean gum meaning it is less likely for it to break down over time, due to stress or agitation, or pH fluctuations.

Guar gum, like xanthan, will not form a gel unlike locust bean gum. But if the galactose residues are put through enzymatic hydrolysis then it could replace locust bean gum to form a gel if necessary.

Interestingly guar gum retards ice crystal growth. What happens is it slows down mass transfer across liquid to solid staging/interface. This could be an excellent ingredient to add to frozen products like ice cream and sorbet that need small ice crystal formation during the freezing process. It could quite possibly give an beautifully smooth texture to the finished product.

Locust Bean Gum or carob gum a.k.a. carubin is an extraction from the kernel in the seed of the carob tree. It acts as a food supply for the tree and supports water supplies for arid situations.

Unlike guaran, carob needs to be heated to make a solution. It will not be soluble in cold water. Locust been gum will form gels (weak ones) but they will be thermally irreversible meaning once it’s set its set, there is not reheating. Unfortunately because of this trait, carob has poor freeze-to-thaw capability that guaran is capable of. Carob specifically interferes with crystallization during liquid/solid staging. It forms the gel during this process because the gum does not want to crystallize itself. This could possibly be a good stabilizer for frozen desserts depending on the textural outcome the gel produces.

Pectin is a heterogenous group of acidic polysaccharides. It is found in fruits and vegetables, mainly orange peel and apple pomace.

Pectin doesn’t not contain an exact structure like other polysaccharides. It is very often free forming and changing in its esterification. When in a solution pectin does not adopt a straight confromation. Pectin becomes very flexible in a solution with a curved-like appearance. The formation of the methyl esters in pectin determine its strength, characteristics and reactions. Typically esterification of pectin is around 70%. If the esterification is less than 40%, the strength of its gel will increase with an increase in Ca^2+. Calcium solution is used to create bonds on the interacting surface of the gel. The carboxylate groups bound water away from the calcium ions in which for salt links. This is naturally to protect water stores for the plant. This process is very similar to that of alginates. Like alginates, the strength of the gel is affected by increase in acidity and or temperature.

Normal pectins gel in the presence of acids and sugars. This having an esterfication of approximately 67%. In the presence of calcium ions, and low acidity these pectins can form thermoreversible gels, while high methoxyl groups with a high acidity are irreversible with heat.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

• 2 weeks later...
So everyone had to bare with us.

Oh, man! I wish you'd posted that picture - the one in which everyone is baring (teeth? asses? their souls?) with you! I realize it gets a bit wild at the CIA sometimes... (How about that guy that drove his car into the pond?)

I must say, if anyone thinks that Sam isn't a natural entertainer, they are very wrong.  Everyone thought that he was hilarious, and he did an excellent job of keeping their attention.  You can really see he enjoys being infront of a live audience, as do I.

you can see this just by the reactions on the guests faces.

gallery_25219_2351_412576.jpg

Imagine my reaction when I recognized someone in this picture. I probably shouldn't admit it, but the guy in the upper left corner is my son, Scott Turbee. (Lonnie ducks knives and spitballs) He's the one who calls everyone "chef" and God knows what else. He's the one who, from the age of four, was in love with fire and knives. Almost lost the house one time. Warning, chiantiglace: he wants to continue with the pastry program after he graduates from culinary.

Okay, enough of that. You've done a wonderful job getting us into the everyday workings of the CIA. I remember Scott calling home about Sam's demonstration. Fascinating.

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

gallery_25219_2351_412576.jpg

Lol, I must say, the two hours we spent watching him prep that demo were some of the funniest Ive had in or around a kitchen...hes a regular dane cook...

gkc

"When you love your land

You want to make it known to as many people as possible.

And to make it rich.

Gastronomy is a magnificent way to do all that.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there much to see and do at the CIA if you're just a visiting tourist? If so, when's the best time to visit?

The CIA is, above all, a college. So if you go there without a plan and no reservations, you'll get what they have to offer the public every day: access to perhaps the least exciting of the restaurants, and the gift shop, and a lovely campus. But if you plan a little (or a lot), you can really get into the experience there at a variety of levels. You'll want to make a reservation for one of the restaurants, at the very least. You'll want to take a tour, so go to their website and click on "Visitors" link near the top.

If you really want a great experience there, sign up for one of their courses (see "Enthusiasts" from the home page). Their one-day (actually about 5 hours) hands-on courses are perfect for people who are comfortable in their own kitchens but maybe have never set foot in a restaurant kitchen. My husband took one of these courses and not only is still talking about it, he's still cooking out of the cookbook you get containing all the recipes, 20 or so, for all the dishes the class produced. I can't tell you how much pure fun he had. And such good food, too!

Once you've gotten your feet wet and if you have the time and you're pretty serious, then you simply must do a boot camp. We're not there yet, but who knows? Maybe some day!

As for the best time to visit, courses are taught in 3-week chunks throughout the year, except for a 3-week period every July when the whole place empties out. So you probably would do fine just about any time of year. You will contact them in advance, I hope, so you can ask the person you're talking to about this.

Since graduations take place very frequently, they often have famous chefs, writers and the like to give speeches and do book signings. You may be able to time it to see someone you're interested in.

There's plenty to do in the area, all up and down the Hudson Valley, one of my personal favorites being a visit to the dozens of antique stores in Hudson, NY, well north of Hyde Park. Lots of mansions right in the vicinity to tour, of course. Just do a google search on Hudson Valley and see what comes up!

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Is there much to see and do at the CIA if you're just a visiting tourist? If so, when's the best time to visit?

Oh, I dont know, I suppose to depends on what you are looking for. If you are just looking into the school because you want to see a large mass of food and people in the food industry than the earlier the better, classes change between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm so Roth Hall is by far the busiest between 12pm and 3pm becuase of meals as well.

The best regular times to visit is at the end of the block. Every thursday (or 13th day if its on an odd schedule) is grande buffet. Go in an check this out for lunch and or dinner.

Apple Pie bakery closes at 6pm, so get in there asap.

The American Bounty is all the "in the know" favorites. Some students may rather work in Escoffier because of its name, but they would all rather eat at the Bounty.

Dont be scared of St. Andrews cafe, just because it has the word "nutritional" on the side of the building. Its just a menu designed to be health concious, but not petty. You would be surprised at the wonderful food you can get there. In the warm times of the year it is a great place to go grab lunch outside in the courtyard.

Ice Carving club is going strong so might be good to find out if and when they are doing a particular event.

But personally, your best bet is to wait for me to come back in the winter. Once I get a grip on that school again, I am going to rip it wide open.

I have a huge event I am planning, that I cannot talk about, but I am striving for the largest student run (or any CIA affliated run) event they have ever had. So in approximately a year, that may be a good time to visit :wink: .

Dean Anthony Anderson

Oh, I dont know, I suppose to depends on what you are looking for. If you are just looking into the school because you want to see a large mass of food and people in the food industry than the earlier the better, classes change between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm so Roth Hall is by far the busiest between 12pm and 3pm becuase of meals as well.

The best regular times to visit is at the end of the block. Every thursday (or 13th day if its on an odd schedule) is grande buffet. Go in an check this out for lunch and or dinner.

Apple Pie bakery closes at 6pm, so get in there asap.

The American Bounty is all the "in the know" favorites. Some students may rather work in Escoffier because of its name, but they would all rather eat at the Bounty.

Dont be scared of St. Andrews cafe, just because it has the word "nutritional" on the side of the building. Its just a menu designed to be health concious, but not petty. You would be surprised at the wonderful food you can get there. In the warm times of the year it is a great place to go grab lunch outside in the courtyard.

Ice Carving club is going strong so might be good to find out if and when they are doing a particular event.

But personally, your best bet is to wait for me to come back in the winter. Once I get a grip on that school again, I am going to rip it wide open.

I have a huge event I am planning, that I cannot talk about, but I am striving for the largest student run (or any CIA affliated run) event they have ever had. So in approximately a year, that may be a good time to visit :wink: .

Thanks for waiting until Im gone to pull of the biggest event in CIA history...I might have to catch a metro north ride for this if its that good...

Greg

"When you love your land

You want to make it known to as many people as possible.

And to make it rich.

Gastronomy is a magnificent way to do all that.

Thanks for the info, Lonnie and chiantiglace!

I thought of another question related to this thread - what's the job market like for a newly minted pastry chef out of the CIA two-year program? Most common places to work (hotels, small restaurants, corporate, etc.), pay (hourly, salary, etc.)? And anything else...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay on my final class before extern. I hadn't even payed attention because for some reason I thought I had already posted.

My final class, Individual Production Pastries, before extern was probably my favorite for many reasons. First of all, our class grew to its smallest size yet, a remarkable eleven students. Two dropped out to continue research and development right before the practical, one dropped out due to legal issues in his hometown (was going to miss more than 2 days and figure he might as well start the class over before it began) and another I never really received a straight/positive answer from. I think it had to do something with money, she had to get back to work full time to pay for school just to come back.

Also, we were suppose to have a previously suspended student join our class, but he never showed up and I am quite glad he didnt. (----I am not a big fan of people who dont know their limits or have little awareness of their suroundings and how to act.

Secondly, and probably first guess for most, was the anxiousness of gettting out of school and heading to Palm Beach for extern. I have re-established a love for something new, and a new place. Maybe its true to my genes of being a Viking, I love exploring a new land.

Also, I must say my Instructor this class was my favorite so far. I was nervous at first for a few reasons, mainly because the last teacher before extern is the least rumoured because the students are so ready to get out of school they do not hang around long enough to share experiences or pass down advice.

Another reason I was nervous was because apparently he was "ready" for me. I had been given many signals that the chefs talk about me when they gather, even if its good talk (more than likely not) its still bad. Honestly, if you are not prepared to perform, you do not want the chefs to bring you up in conversation. Even if a Chef has nothing but great things to pass on, the next Chef may find it necessary to test your limits. Maybe its a pyschological thing that can't be helped, but I am not a fan.

My arrogance proved fortunate for me with problems like this. Even if they actually get to me, I try my best not to let them see it. But thankfully I had all this pent up anxiety and pyschologic aggression, ready to withstand the strongest thrust my new instructor would throw, and not a single breeze came by.

Infact I think he enjoyed my company quite a bit because I was the last male left in my class. Besides my size (which results in a personal issue) I do believe I have one good characteristic all/most of my instructors can appreciate, I am a born restaurant personality that they can instantly relate to, even if they do not like me, they understand me. It doesnt take long for any of my instructors to figure me out and feel comfortable with their opinions of me. I value that.

The class kicked off instantly. We were, as warned/prepared, expected to be given a task and perform it without difficulty. We were given our tasks, our chef went over all the details before class, and we were released. This happened everday of that block exactly. Some topics took longer than others, but the agenda stayed the same. We come in, relax, talk to the chef for a moment or two about the world cup (him being a French Mexican, and his wife being from Brazil, now both living in USA), which he had a lot to discuss, and maybe a few small things that happened since the last time we saw each other. Then it came down to business. He would pull out his drawing board and list out teams with projects. Me and our group leader both worked individually without a team member since we were such a small group (we still had to produce a certain amount of projects, both to experience and to execute for the students in the dining halls). Because of this me and her would also work on extra projects together.

This was probably the only three week block we have had together that we really didnt have any personal issues. Everyone really knew what the other one was capable of, and I think we all got over our differences. Personally I think the main reason was because our chef gave us instant credit plus indivudal responsibility. He did not raise his voice infront of the whole class, indirectly alerting a problem, or someones falacy, he treated everyone individually. If he had to call in some team support, he knew who to ask because he could tell who was comfortable accepting help from who. Yes its necessary for all of us to get over ourselves and accept help from who ever is capable of giving it, but its not so easy. That is probably my worst problem.

Sometimes (I learned now) if someone doesnt want to accept your help, it may not mean its because they dont like you, it may actually be because your the kind of person they dont want to show you when they bleed (metaphorically speaking). Sometimes its a person they have already seen bleed that triggers a complexity inside of us in which allows us to share an equal pain. The problem with me is, I not only try not to bleed at all, and if I do, I pull my sleeves down over it so no one can tell. Better yet, if someone notices me bleeding, I act like I had no idea I was even cut. I now understand the most important part of being a leader, that is to break yourself down, and let them bring you back up. If you dont, you end up fighting to prove yourself for long periods of time (which may very well work, but its so damm difficult and unnecessary).

So here we are, three weeks before not seeing each other for the next five months, producing our best work yet, and feeling proud of it.....

As you can see, here is glass day, or "container". I appologize because I do not remember the components of each one because its already been too long. I can tell you min was the only anamoly in the bunch, that being the filo cups.

gallery_25219_2351_901921.jpg

My chef let me pretty much do whatever I wanted, that was a minor reason why it was such a great class for me. And by letting me do what I want, I mean flavors and minor components.

The filo a orange bavarian cream (recipe I made up on the fly, dont tell my chef), with a honey-milk chocolate (also containing 30% bittersweet chocolate) ganache cutout, with whipped cream and candied orange zest. I was originally going to candy my orange orange zest (bigger pieces), but chef told me to hurry up and go to dinner so I had to cancel the project in the middle of blanching and use the already made stuff. Also, the ganache was made up on the fly, and my chef loved it, probably because hes a choco-holic. I also felt good about making it because it save another team some time of comming up with a needed component and making it.

I do remember on the far right was a pistachio and cherry piece, next to that on the left was a mango (yogurt maybe?) piece, and on the far left was a tirumasu.

another angle for you. I believe the tall tuiled ones are blackberry.

gallery_25219_2351_146139.jpg

this was meringue day, my least and most favorite of the block. It was the least favorite because meringue is played to death for me, and most favorite because I got to use a secret ingredient in mine.

gallery_25219_2351_342352.jpg

Mine were the pinneappleish pyramid things in the bottom left hand corner. The were meringue pyramid cups containing chocolate cream with, secret ingredient, and a praline mousse ontop. Meringue was then piped ontop and torched. I made the chocolate cream quite bitter to salvage ones tongue from all the sweetness, because the secret ingredient was some of Sam Mason's eggless lemon curd we made the night before during the demo. Wow that stuff has the strongest lemon flavor of any curd you will yet. Word spread quick and I had chef instructors from A.M. classes come in specifically to taste the curd, ha, it was fun to talk philosophy with them during class.

also, there are some pate a choux swans we have to make for practice.

gallery_25219_2351_1201914.jpg

Heres a picture of the curd being conspicuously placed in the center of the chocolate cream, and then being topped with the praline pyramid.

gallery_25219_2351_841648.jpg

Here are also a couple pictures of the chibouste day we had. Probably the most memeroable (pertaining to actual pastries).

gallery_25219_2351_667345.jpg

there were orange, lemon, apple, passionfruit, chocolate, and plum flavors I believe.

gallery_25219_2351_514895.jpg

gallery_25219_2351_409426.jpg

I hope you enjoy. Hopefully soon I will give you a report on how the breakers is going with plenty of pictures.

Sincerely,

Dean Anthony Anderson

this was meringue day, my least and most favorite of the block.  It was the least favorite because meringue is played to death for me, and most favorite because I got to use a secret ingredient in mine.

What secret ingredient?

I had meringue cookies the other day made by none other than Keegan Gerhard and they were damn good.

• 4 months later...

Hey CIA - I graduated last December and have been out I the world for over a year now. I loved the CIA it was the only choice as far as culinary schools. The minute I stepped out of my car I said Oh my God its Hogwarts! (the school is an old monestary for those of you who have never been - the main dining hall is the old chapel and the ceiling is painted like the sky) anyways beside looking for Harry Potter once and a great while the friendships I made with the faculty and the meetings with countless big name chefs is why I chose the school. I had 4 CMC including Andrieni - as I left for Extern - he took the test! I had Roe, Coyak, Pardus, Scappin (Caterina), Rascoll, Higgins all great teachers and mentors. I still email Roe. He is a big time up and coming CIA teacher his goal was the CMC but as new dad I think his prioroity may change for a little while. I loved everything about the school - except the career/extern office that I thought were really lacking in lots of areas. Take lots of pics while you are there. I have a couple of books that I carry with me everywhere and the CIA grads that I interview with all love to see the school and the food. I am still looking for my dream job but it is amazing the CIA grads out there. I interviewed at a club only to find out the F&B Mgr was also a grad - they both loved the pics and it is a great conversation part of the interview process. PLUS I have never had to explain my choice, but only if I enjoyed the school. CIA sets the standard no matter what anyone says - more text books - more grads that have published - the home of the CMC exam becasue of its excelence in the quality and the facility - I hold my head high with no explanation to anyone.

My class consisted of:

Surgeon, Teacher, Social Workers, Computer Dot Comer, Police officer, communications director (ME), and so on - I was lucky in my class draw and it is better to go in on an "off time" I started in March. If you start in August of Jan you will have your "kids" so mention that you are a "non-traditional" student - that is what they called us old guys. We had one person in the baking program that was older than our "doc" - she was in her 60s and I heard was one of the favorites of the students....

• 6 months later...

gallery_25219_2351_71593.jpg

My extern at The Breakers was everything I imagined and expected. It gave me a chance to explore southeast Florida; work for a corporation and a resort; gain experience with high production; and take on a rather respected extern site and still make enough money to live.

The greatest thing about being at The Breakers was it visual aspect, so I'll give you a tour before I open up.

gallery_25219_2351_703668.jpg

The front entrance facing the street.

gallery_25219_2351_430696.jpg

Arches at the front entrance

gallery_25219_2351_407767.jpg

Northern wing passage leading past L'Escalier to the Gold Room and Seafood Bar.

gallery_25219_2351_75908.jpg

Southern wing passage leading to Mediterranean and Venetian Ballrooms.

gallery_25219_2351_78351.jpg

The Ponce De Leon (during break down) room with seperates into six individual rooms.

gallery_25219_2351_902721.jpg

Part of the courtyard, view from the southern passage facing front desk area to the left and northern passage to the right.

gallery_25219_2351_697968.jpg

The Circle Dining Room chandelier and ceiling.

gallery_25219_2351_824182.jpg

L'Escalier Dining Room

gallery_25219_2351_159484.jpg

Top of the Italian Restauarant which holds special parties. One of the most popular spots amongst the employees.

gallery_25219_2351_977723.jpg

Overlooking the pool and cabana area.

gallery_25219_2351_1016585.jpg

One of the pools and the beach club.

gallery_25219_2351_454408.jpg

Inside the Beach Club

gallery_25219_2351_649067.jpg

The brand new Cabanas

gallery_25219_2351_1310419.jpg

Another view of the pools

gallery_25219_2351_1083505.jpg

And another to give you the ocean feel.

gallery_25219_2351_323446.jpg

And this is where it gets its name, where the ocean is known to break right on the wall.

gallery_25219_2351_192609.jpg

And of course a quick image of the infamous golf course.

Dean Anthony Anderson