• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

I wonder if any chip company might have a plan for a celery and blue cheese flavoured chip, with powdered blue cheese and ground celery seeds ? Just sayin, you know. :cool:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

MIDDLESWARTH BARBECUE POTATO CHIPS !! especially the KETTLE BBQ !

I believe these are only in central pa area, and we pick up many bags when we are in "Middleswarth Country"

Their bbq flavor is unique, with that strong moorish flavor ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! brand garlic valencia almonds, from Walgreens, of all places! Apparently Nice! is their house brand, and it ain't bad! Good garlic flavour, not too salty and the almond flavour comes thru well. Be good with sherry, maybe.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 4 weeks later...

Never tried the spicy dried squid, but regular dried squid was delicious and one of my most surprising food discoveries on my trip to Japan--surprising especially because I don't usually care for most cooked squid--the texture always puts me off. But dried is yummy, and I bet spicy drew is even better.

thanks! Now I feel less trepidation! :)

Never tried the spicy dried squid, but regular dried squid was delicious and one of my most surprising food discoveries on my trip to Japan--surprising especially because I don't usually care for most cooked squid--the texture always puts me off. But dried is yummy, and I bet spicy drew is even better.

I always love peanuts,why ??When eaten in moderation, many nuts qualify as bona fide superfoods. For example, almonds contain good amounts of vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. The problem is getting carried away with salted versions—it's much harder to gorge on unsalted nuts, and many salted varieties also come with unhealthy added oil.

Hike Sedona Hiking Preparedness + Energy Supply + Apparel & Gear

• 4 months later...

Ruffles Max Beer Battered Onion Rings flavored potato chips

LaysBeerBatteredOnionRings.jpg

Wow. What a complete and utter failure. And this product is from the company that makes Funyuns!

You would think they would have at least started with the flavorings from Funyuns and worked on from there.

But these potato chips completely lack any onion flavor at all. I thought that "ok, maybe the flavor builds up over time" but that didn't happen either.

And the beer yeasty-ish tang that beer battered onion rings have? Not present whatsoever in these chips.

I couldn't even tell you what these potato chips do taste like they were so non-descript in flavor.

Pass on them..

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If I want to truly satisfy my umami cravings lately I have a portion of really pungent and salty blue cheese with a bunch of nice whole grain crackers. Doesnt give me that disgusting junk food feeling and keeps me satisfied.

Danish Blue and raw sheeps milk Roquefort have been excellent lately for that.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Lays has debuted three new flavors of potato chips and wants the public to vote on their favorite flavor. The winning flavor will become a permanent Lays potato chip product.

I've tried two, so far:

Lays Chicken and Waffle potato chips

LaysChicken&Waffles.jpg

These were okay. I liked the chicken-ish flavor of the chips. I expected a more pronounced sweetness in the chips for the waffles portion of the flavoring...like a kettle corn yin yang sort of salty sweet. It was quite faint, instead. So it was a mixed bag for me. A good flavor but not great.

And Lays Sriracha potato chips

LaysSriracha.jpg

Wow. They nailed it with this flavor. The sriracha flavor is absolutely there and they do have a kick to them. I did expect the potato chips to be hotter, like the sauce, but I'm sure they had to tame it for the general consumer.

So far this is the clear winner.

Both of these bags were consumed by me and then the empty bags were scanned on my office scanner for posting here.

I will post the third flavor, cheesy garlic bread, tomorrow.

Tim Oliver

Lay's Cheesy Garlic Bread

LaysCheesyGarlicBread.jpg

They got the cheesy part right. It tastes very much like the cheese you'd get on a good garlic bread down to a little tang. However, the chips I tasted didn't seem to have a speck of garlic flavoring...nada...zip...which made for a disappointing chip flavor for me.

The Cheesy Garlic Bread flavor is only half good, in my book.

Again, I consumed the contents of the bag and scanned the empty bag on my office scanner.

Of the the three flavors, the Sriracha flavor seems to be the most accurate.

Emily_R, in my opinion they didn't seem to have any sweetness to them. They just had the tang of the distinct sriracha chiles and some of the heat.

Chris...as for the other review, what can I say? Perhaps we got different batches. The Chicken & Waffle flavored chips I tasted weren't that sweet. I thought the sweetness was barely there which made the flavor a failure. For me, the Cheesy Garlic Bread lacked any sort of garlic flavor which I also considered a failure. You would think you'd need a breath mint after eating a bag full of potato chip called "Cheesy Gralic Bread" but that didn't happen.

I hope others will weigh in with their opinions of the three flavors.

Tim Oliver

Sorry for the double post but has anyone tried Wheat Thins Spicy Buffalo flavor? They're addictive! I was snacking on them at work and had to put the box in a drawer or I would have plowed completely through it.

They have a nice little spicy kick. You can taste the "Tabasco" sauce (or whatever sauce/spice they used) and under it all is the sweet saltiness of the regular Wheat Thins flavor. Salty, spicy, sweet...an addictive combination.

Tim Oliver

Doritos Jacked Ranch Dipped Hot Wings

DoritosJackedWings.jpg

This is a picture of a bag I consumed and then scanned the empty bag using my office scanner.

I just don't get it. How did these Doritos make to the market? Imagine all of that time and money spent on creating these horrible tasting tortilla chips. And for what?
Yes, like the other "Jacked" flavors, these triangular tortilla chips were huge and a little extra crispy.

However, the flavor was just terrible. There was no chicken flavoring, so the "wings" in the flavor title obviously had to do with Hot Wings sauce and not the wings themselves. Except that the Hot Wings "sauce" flavoring was just not right. It had a vinegary tang to it but didn't taste like any hot wing sauce I've ever had. Not Tabasco, not Louisiana, not Franks, not Crystal...it just failed as a hot wing sauce flavor.

And the "cool ranch" flavor? Again, it was just not there. Not a single chip tasted like ranch dressing.

So then I thought maybe they think the "cool ranch" means that the heat of the "hot wing" sauce is tamed. Then they got that right. These chips have no (chile-type) heat to them whatsoever.

Major meh. Avoid these chips.

Tim Oliver

What someone or some company needs to do, is create a line of "salty" snacks made with salt substitute for people who cant eat salt...

Im trying to use Salt Substitute not in recipes but on foods if I want extra saltiness

Wawa Sizzli FTW!