• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

Frito Lay has debuted a new flavor:

Tangy Roasted Corn

gallery_9387_874_10763.jpg

What it says on the back of the bag:

Based on an authentic snack sold around the world, Fritos® Tangy Roasted Corn Flavored Corn Chips have a savory blend of 3 simple flavors: roasted corn, mexican spices, and a twist of lime.

The chips themselves do have a little bit of a "corn nuts" aftertaste which isn't too surprising since they are corn chips afterall. They have a pinkish-hued powdery coating on them.

You can't taste the lime at all. You really can't taste any "mexican spices" in particular. I certainly wouldn't call them "tangy", either. Feh.

The ingredients list "cheddar cheese" and "romano cheese" which isn't mentioned in the overall description of the chip so it was a surprise to see those two items. As for spices, they specifically mention chili pepper and red pepper.

These corn chips need to be sent back to the lab for reworking. They're nothing special.

To my chagrin, I just noticed that there are four servings of chips in the bag. I guess I need to find three other people to share them with if I buy these chips again. :wink::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

New Doritos Collisions. "2 flavors - 1 bag"

gallery_9387_874_6784.jpg

This combination was "Zesty Taco" and "Chipotle Ranch". To quibble, that's more than two flavors in one bag but I digress. They have another Collision flavor combination of "Blue Cheese and Hot Wings" which is bogus, IMHO, since neither of those flavors exist as stand-alone flavors of Dorito Torilla Chips.

I've got to admit that these days, with the prevalence of Ranch-flavored everything, I don't think I could pick "Ranch flavor" out of a police lineup anymore.

These were okay tortilla chips (which is another way of saying "At least they didn't suck."). There was a small kick provided by the Chipotle flavoring and you do taste the taco flavoring. I'm sure the Ranch flavoring is in there somewhere...I just couldn't taste it specifically.

I'll see if I can get a hold of the other Collisions flavor combo (though I'm not a fan of blue cheese) this weekend and report back.

Tim Oliver

The second flavor currently offered by Doritos Collisions: Hot Wings and Blue Cheese

gallery_9387_874_16171.jpg

Though I am not a fan of blue cheese, I thought they definitely got the blue cheese flavor right. Unfortunately, I think they blew it on the "Hot Wings" part. Hot Wings usually have a vinegar-based hot pepper sauce flavor (Tabasco, Texas Pete's, Louisiana Crystal, etc) which was completely missing in these chips. Vinegar can be done as evidenced in the many "Salt & Vinegar" flavored potato chips on the market so why not replicate a touch of vinegar with these chips? Go figure. They do have a little bit of heat to them but nothing extraordinary.

I did see Doritos Collisions in the grocery store chip aisle available in the larger family-sized bags so apparently they're not a limited edition flavor.

Tim Oliver

My name is Angela, and I am a chipaholic. It all started last month, when I was perusing the snack aisle at the commissary, looking for a nice vehicle for my spinach/artichoke dip. Pringles Szechuan BBQ, what?

Trust me, don't touch these. Don't even smell them. Each little chip, so small, round and perfect, but hiding a deadly addictive secret. Amazing little packets of yum.

Yep. I love these new chips. Oh my.

Oh, as long as I am coming out of lurkdom to share my snack addictions...wasabi and soy sauce Blue Diamond Almonds! omg!

jar of dry roasted peanuts, pocket full of red delicious apples picked off the tree, pocket knife to slice the apples, 5 gallon bucket overturned to sit on.....

dew on the grass, and a titty pink sunrise.......

gotta go feed the dogs and check the cows.......

• 1 year later...

These probably aren't new to some of you but I saw them in the vending machine at my workplace and thought I'd try them.

Fritos Brand (Tim) McGraw's Spicy Jalapeño corn chips

gallery_9387_874_13226.jpg

Sorry for the wrinkled scan but yes, that is country singer Tim McGraw on the front of the package.

I give them a thumbs up but then I like most spicy salty snacks. They seem to be spicy in a different way than Flaming Hot Fritos. It's a subtle heat that sneaks up on you. It's not as lingering and all-powerful as the Flaming Hot line of products.

And since there's no red coloring on the chips, you don't end up with red fingers. :laugh:

I can't say that I taste actual jalapeño flavor (it's the second-to-last item listed in the ingredients :hmmm: ) but overall, it's a tasty spicy corn chip.

Tim Oliver

Cheddar Jalapeño Crunchy Cheetos

gallery_9387_874_85.jpg

First Fritos, and now Cheetos...I expect Funyuns will be the next Frito Lay product to get this newest flavor.

These Cheetos look like regular crunchy Cheetos except they're dusted with little green flecks which I suppose is the Jalapeño flavoring. While the jalapeño flavoring isn't as far down on the ingredients list as it is with the Fritos version, it's still not very high up in the list.

Like the Spicy Jalapeño Fritos, there is a nice low, slow heat to them. It's not a lingering omni-present heat like the Flamin' Hot versions. And like the Spicy Jalapeño Fritos, you won't end up with red dusted fingers from eating this new version of Cheetos.

While this new flavor is good, and the heat is good, I do think it's missing the normal cheesey "tang" of regular Cheetos. This may be due to the cheddar flavor. I think this is a drawback, IMHO.

Overall though, I give them a thumbs up.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I am allowed to add a salty snack which starts with a corn chip and then you add stuff. It's called Tostitos Kakimochi and it's a North American version of a Japanese snack. It was first served to us by a group of Canadian-Japanese folks who were taking a workshop from my husband and me.

You start with small round Tostitos and add a syrup of sugar, corn syrup, soy sauce, butter, black sesame seeds and Japanese nori. Yummy. Bake in the oven.

I made a huge bowl for a Pot Luck event today and they were all gone before I knew it. I put out lots of copies of the recipe and they were all taken too. You definitely cannot eat just one.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't know if I am allowed to add a salty snack which starts with a corn chip and then you add stuff.  It's called Tostitos Kakimochi and it's a North American version of a Japanese snack.  It was first served to us by a group of Canadian-Japanese folks who were taking a workshop from my husband and me.

You start with small round Tostitos and add a syrup of sugar, corn syrup, soy sauce, butter, black sesame seeds and Japanese nori.  Yummy.  Bake in the oven. 

I made a huge bowl for a Pot Luck event today and they were all gone before I knew it.  I put out lots of copies of the recipe and they were all taken too.  You definitely cannot eat just one.

Do you have proportions you wouldn't mind sharing?

I want to try making it for my co-workers. Do you have to serve them hot, or can you let them cool overnight?

Do you have proportions you wouldn't mind sharing? 

I want to try making it for my co-workers.  Do you have to serve them hot, or can you let them cool overnight?

Here's the actual recipe given to me by one of the women:

Ingredients:

1 20 oz. bag small round Tostitos

½ cup butter

½ cup corn syrup

½ cup granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons soy sauce

2-3 Tablespoons black sesame seeds

Cooking Instructions:

Melt butter on low heat and then add sugar, syrup, soy sauce, and sesame seeds and mix until the sugar is dissolved.

Place ½ the Tostitos in large bowl, add ½ the syrup mixture and slowly mix thoroughly, trying not to break chips. Put into a large greased pan. Repeat with the remaining Tostitos and mix well.

Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hour. Mix every 15 minutes (do this or your snacks will stick into one big clump.)

Turn out the chips onto a large surface and try to separate as many as you can during that short period between burning your fingers and the time the chips are too cool to separate. As soon as they no longer stick to each other, store them in an air-tight container...if they last long enough for storing them at all.

Add shredded nori (seaweed) or rice seasoning for different flavors.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tim McGraw flavored potato chips strike me as enormously unappealing.

Zapps Chips

I've recently returned to the South and was reintroduced to the magical potato chips of my early Georgia childhood - Zapps. I have many happy memories of working myself into a salty coma at eight years old over a big bag of the sour cream n' onion variety, though I would never pass up a Craw-Tator if offered. Their particular appeal lay in the many fried and greasy and oh so good bits that would settle at the bottom of the bag, which I would fight anyone for. People live on these things here in New Orleans, which makes me smile. I'm considering sending my mom a gift pack for her birthday....

Anyone else love Zapps?

Miso cucumbers. Partly peel some Japanese cucumbers and slice in half or quarters lengthwise. Spread the cut surface with a moderate amount of your favorite miso paste. 

Salty and refreshing.

I love salty, crunchy foods and can easily eat an entire bag by myself. When i get a craving and there is no one to share the bag with I take a celery stick and spread miso on it. It completely satisfies my salty, crunchy craving and it keeps the inches off my hips. :biggrin:

Miso-cucumbers is another favorite, I often do this for dinner when I need an extra dish quickly. I mix the miso with a little mayo for easier dipping and milder flavor.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm thinking they'd be great with pretzels instead of tostitos, too! 

I don't know about the anchovie part of it... :hmmm:...but I do love those big preztel rods....coated in caramel...and then dipped in chocolate. Now that's a snack!

Starbucks carries them and so does another candy store near where we live in Canada, but you can't beat making them yourself!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

TACO FLAVORED DORITOS ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very excited. :blush: They are in a very dark bag that says "They're back by popular demand" and also "For a limited time" :angry: . Why? There are entire websites with petitions that you can sign calling for the return of them. So why doesn't Frito Lay want to sell them? Anyway, they are here for now. I will begin gorging now. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
I am addicted to 'wheat thins' crackers.

Oh man, soooo salty and soothing. Try regular or the honey variety. The reduced fat ones are great too - I actually prefer them to regular.

Yes, I'm a salt addict.  :sad:

I love the reduced fat wheat thins too! Those are my fave-- great with hummus, cheese, and any kind of dips!

• 2 weeks later...

Doritos Collisions' Newest Flavor combo: Pizza Cravers and Ranch

gallery_9387_874_11431.jpg

I saw this newest Collisions flavor this past weekend at my local AM/PM.

I've been slow to realize that Collisions aren't a flavor combination on a single corn chip but are two kinds of chips in one bag. Don't I feel foolish?

Having finally brainstormed that concept, I have to say again that the Ranch are just okay...not one of Dorito's top flavors, IMHO.

I think the Ranch chips would be best served when combined with a spicy chip. The problem with this is that Doritos doesn't really have a spicy (as in "hot") chip in their lineup of products.

The Pizza Craver chips are pretty good. There's a light basil/oregano flavor on the chips to give you that pizza-y flavor. I would have preferred an entire bag of the Pizza Craver chips than this mixture. The downside to this newest Collisions flavor in that there seemed to be too many Ranch chips in the bag and the Pizza Cravers were few and far between. :sad:

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Doritos Spicy Sweet Chili flavored tortilla chips

gallery_9387_874_1845.jpg

This is a new flavor being sold in my area. The Subway Sandwich chain is currently promoting this newest flavor in their shops with their combo meals.

The chips definitely have a kick to them so the "spicy" is dead-on. The chili flavor is nice, too.

But, true to their name, they are also sweet, which I just can't get past. I'm more of a savory person to begin with so perhaps I'm not the best judge of this new flavor. Maybe if there was more of a balance between the salty and the sweet, I'd like them better but I find them far too sweet for my tastes.

Tim Oliver

I am addicted to Hempzel's Garlic Sourdough Pretzels. We order them by the case. They have other flavours, too: ORIGINAL - SESAME - GARLIC - JALAPEÑO or PUMPERNICKEL & ONION (forgive the caps, I cut and pasted.) The dark chocolate peanut butter filled are my go to for sweet/salty.

Edited to fix link.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 1 month later...

New Doritos "Late Night" flavors:

"Tacos at Midnight" and "Last Call Jalapeño Popper"

They sound like they're aimed at late night partiers.

The "Tacos at Midnight" does have that late night Jack-in-the-Box taco sort of flavor upon tasting them for the first time. I'm guessing it's cumin flavor but I can't figure out what other ingredients are there. There wasn't much depth of flavor (he says as if expecting a miraculous Willy Wonka-type of tortilla chip called "JIB Taco"). I tired of the flavor pretty quickly and it left me hankering for a real JIB taco.

The "Last Call Jalapeño Popper" were dead on. They had the cream cheese tang and a subtle jalapeño flavor. They had a slow burn/spiciness to them, too. Of the two flavors, I preferred this flavor because it seemed to have more going on with it.

gallery_9387_874_14807.jpg

Tim Oliver