• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

We'd make gorp - cocktail peanuts, raisins, and m&ms - if we were going camping, hiking, or skiing. I found I didn't like the m&ms, only the peanuts and raisins. I love peanuts and raisins. I love salt on the raisins.

I will second ling's Asian Beef Jerky vote. DELICIOUS. Beats the western kind any day in my books!

Whenever I crave salt, I usually yearn for Pringles chips. The reduced fat ones, especially. They have a good amount of salt and crunch that I looooove. :wub:

Wasabi peas (salty and spicy = good)

edamame with tonnes of kosher salt on top.

Pão de Queijo (brazilian cheese bread) are my all time favourite, and would have them all the time if my waistline could bear it. everyone who i have made them for loves them too, and also claim that they are addictive....yum yum

Salt bagels, which seem hard to find. My favorite are from Dunkin' Donuts. They taste like a cross between a bagel and a donut, covered in giant salt crystals... mmmmm. Likewise, their twisty cousin, the giant soft pretzel.

As far as prepackaged snack foods, Combos are a favorite, especially the pizza flavored ones. It's a doubly salty combo of pretzel and processed cheese. I don't think it gets much better. I'm a big fan of sweet and salty too, so anything Reese's (cups or pieces) and Baby Ruths. In fact, I just finished off a Nutrageous.

Edited by jkonick (log)

• 4 months later...

It's hard to find "Bugles" since I have been living in NYC for the past 6 years, but when I lived in Florida they were ubiquitous. "Bugles" are a delicious salty, corn-based snack that are conically shaped somewhat like a bugle.

• 4 weeks later...

Pringles has a new flavor - Chili Cheese.

The chili flavor is nice but the chips are also quite salty....almost too salty.

If you're looking for something with chili flavor, stick with Fritos Chili Cheese which are addicitve.

Pringles also has another new flavor - Loaded Baked Potato.

As the review states, there is a hint of bacon :wub: in the flavor but not much else. There's no tang of sour cream or chive flavor either. I am in hopes that Pringles will chalk this up as a good start and take it back to the tasting lab for improvement.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

-Asian pork fluff/floss (those dehydrated shreds of heavily-seasoned pork)

Yum. Where can I get this stuff? Where in the 99 Ranch market would I seek it?

Marmite on buttered toast :wub:

This is embarrassing.... in addition to most of the things already listed by others, when I really want salt I'll:

eat marmite by the spoonful.

eat beef bouillion cubes or granules

eat table salt (dip finger method)

My co-workers have photographic evidence of me enjoying their xmas gift to me some years ago: a red mineral salt-lick :blush:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

MCA,

I also love Bugles. I went to the Fancy Food Show in NY last week and tried Polenta crackers shaped like conchiglie pasta that tasted very similar to Bugles. The only difference besides the shape is Bugles are a bit sweeter, probably due to added corn syrup. Here's a recipe for Polenta snacks I'm looking forward to trying for my next dinner party.

Salt is my downfall. Maybe I should just install a salt lick in the kitchen, then I wouldn't even need to bother with the food.

Do margaritas with a salt rim count?

Grace

edited to fix all my misspelled words

Edited by FoodMuse (log)

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

First things first:

Have I stepped into some weird parallel universe where no one eats fried pork rinds?

Yummy and crunchy in a way no other dry salty snack is. Of course, being a barbecue fiend as well, my preference is for Utz Bar-B-Q rinds.

(Edited to add: Speaking of yummy and crunchy, I have some advice for Joseph Foy, the owner of Bridget Foy's restaurant on South Street: You should give serious consideration to bagging the cracklin' off that gorgeous roast pig you served at yesterday's Slow Food fundraiser on Head House Square and selling it as a snack.)

I am addicted to 'wheat thins' crackers.

Oh man, soooo salty and soothing. Try regular or the honey variety. The reduced fat ones are great too - I actually prefer them to regular.

Yes, I'm a salt addict.  :sad:

I actually find Wheat Thins an interesting mix of sweet and salty.

I generally buy Triscuits to satisfy this craving.

Does cheese count?

I think it does! One of my favorite salty snacks is thin slivers of very very old Dutch cheese.. with those lovely crunchy salt crystals.

another, less dignified one is anchovies, straight from the jar. Fortunately, I only get salt-cravings like that once a month :wacko:

Anchovies from the jar? I'll have to try that sometime. :hmmm: Sardines I do on occasion, but those are nowhere near as salty, if indeed they're salty at all.

As for the old Dutch cheese: the reason I like aged (clears throat) How-da is because it tastes almost like toffee. But if cheese counts as a salty snack, then I'm all in, being a big cheesehead.

Utz 'Special Dark' pretzels.  I don't know what I am going to do if they ever quit making these.  We used to gorge on the extra salty splits that the in laws would bring us back from semi-annual trips to Penn. Dutch-land and the last bag they brought is still on a shelf in the pantry.  They taste positively insipid after the Special Darks. [emphasis added]

Utz is one of the biggest-selling chip brands in the country (#4, last I looked), so I doubt they'll go out of business anytime soon.

But if you are jonesin' for Dark Specials, just move to Pennsylvania and you're all set.

Pringles has a new flavor - Chili Cheese.

The chili flavor is nice but the chips are also quite salty....almost too salty.

If you're looking for something with chili flavor, stick with Fritos Chili Cheese which are addicitve.

Pringles also has another new flavor - Loaded Baked Potato.

As the review states, there is a hint of bacon  :wub:  in the flavor but not much else. There's no tang of sour cream or chive flavor either. I am in hopes that Pringles will chalk this up as a good start and take it back to the tasting lab for improvement.

A Pringles aficionado comes out of the closet!

Yes, they're totally artificial, but they're strangely addictive. Occasionally I have to have them instead of Utz.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

First things first:

Have I stepped into some weird parallel universe where no one eats fried pork rinds?

Yummy and crunchy in a way no other dry salty snack is.  Of course, being a barbecue fiend as well, my preference is for Utz Bar-B-Q rinds.

I love pork rinds! But I like the Vietnamese/Thai kind that still has fat and a bit of meat attached to it. They never come in different flavours, and are very lightly salted (at least where I buy them), so I always add more salt. Sometimes I eat them with a bit of rice and...dare I say it...ketchup!

Yes, they're totally artificial, but they're strangely addictive.  Occasionally I have to have them instead of Utz.

I can eat a whole can of Pringles in one sitting. But I probably shouldn't admit that. :blush: They recently had a limited edition Grilled Cheese flavour, but I didn't much care for it. It wasn't as cheesy and the White Cheddar or Cheezums ones. A lot of my friends love the French Consomme flavour, but I've not been daring enough to buy an entire can to try them.

I wish I lived in Germany--they seem to have pretty amazing flavours!

Yes, they're totally artificial, but they're strangely addictive.  Occasionally I have to have them instead of Utz.

I can eat a whole can of Pringles in one sitting. But I probably shouldn't admit that. :blush: They recently had a limited edition Grilled Cheese flavour, but I didn't much care for it. It wasn't as cheesy and the White Cheddar or Cheezums ones. A lot of my friends love the French Consomme flavour, but I've not been daring enough to buy an entire can to try them.

I wish I lived in Germany--they seem to have pretty amazing flavours!

Consomme flavor?

Available only in France, I assume? And if not, where in the States can these be found?

And what flavors do they have in Germany?

You should dig up that thread on unusual chip flavors and post them there as well.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Consomme flavor?

Available only in France, I assume?  And if not, where in the States can these be found?

And what flavors do they have in Germany?

You should dig up that thread on unusual chip flavors and post them there as well.

The consomme flavour is available in Japan. The World Pringles site doesn't have a Japanese link, so I can't even show you the tin. It's in an orange tin, and looks very much like the Cheezums ones (some of my friends bought them thinking they were the cheese ones!). When I get back, I'll take a picture of them if I can get up enough courage to buy them.

On the Pringles Germany site, they have ones called "Light Aromas". Three different flavours make up the line--Greek style cheese with a touch of avocado oil, Spicy Thai with a touch of coconut oil, and Red Paprika with touch of Olive Essence. I think they're 30% less fat, too.

I think these aren't German-specific flavours (the pictures on the German website have English on them), but I've never seen them in Canada or in Japan. I would imagine they might be available elsewhere in Europe, though.