• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

I couldn't agree more - these peanuts are fantastic. I also use them as an ingredient in some dishes, when I want some crunch from peanuts and a little sichuan flavor.

I love these guys.. Salt peanuts with dried chiles and sichuan peppercorns.

So good

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, now I have to go buy some salt and vinegar potato chips. Thanks a lot! lol.

That being said my favorite salty snack is without a doubt beef jerky. I prefer homemade or even locally made(from a butcher or smokehouse). But since this is in the "ready to eat"...Wild Bills original(not teriyaki) is some of the best off the shelf jerky around. And unlike many salty snacks, jerky by neccessity is low in fat ;)

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda

I'm ashamed to say I am addicted to these things. They are seriously bad. And seriously not "onion rings".

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Palm Olein, Tapioca Starch, Wheat Starch, Dehydrated Potato, Onion, Flavors (Sugar, Maltodextrin, Salt, MSG, Onion Powder, Artificial Flavors, Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce Powder, Food Additive:Di-sodium 5¹-ribonucleotide), Food Additives (Glycerol Monostearate, Tartrazine).

But no trans-fat!

IMG_4542.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...

I make my own crisps:

#3 - 6 can be skipped. They are for complete nerds who won't get satisifed unless the chips are as crispy as human possible.

For those nerds, two rules apply:

# 3 to 5 can be skipped¨and replaced with # 6

You don't do #6 if you do # 3 - 5

#6 is easy and all should do that if you don't have ultrasound

1. Slice good, high-starch, potatoes to 1,5 mm slices on a good mandolin. Peeled or not is up to you, but I don't peel them, theres a lot of nice flavour in the peel.
  2. Rinse thoroughly in running cold water untill the water becomes totally clear
  3. Put them in a bag with 500 ml water with 15g salt and vacuum seal them in a chamber sealer
  4. Let it soak over night in the bag
  5. Put the bag in an ultrasound bath at full power for 40 minutes
  6. Dunk them in boiling water with baking soda (one teaspoon per liter water) for 40 seconds
  7. Dry them off on a paper towel
  8. Deep-fry them in peanut oil at 150 C for 7 minutes
  9. Add salt.
  10. Munch,

Ultrasound makes a gazillion of tiny micro cavities in the surface of the potatoes, so the surface becomes much much larger, which in turn makes it a lot crispier when fried. Cooking them with baking soda does much the same.

Edited by Mofassah (log)

• 5 months later...

7 Eleven brand Steak Lover's steak flavored potato chips

7Eleven_SteakChips.jpg

I was a huge fan of Snyder of Hanover's Steak & Onion potato chips :wub: but they're no longer being made. So I was surprised to see these in a local 7-Eleven.

They did taste steak-like but, like the Snyder's Steak & Onion chips, they were quite salty.

Saltiness aside, thumbs up for these chips.

Ruffles Crispy Fries

Ruffles_CrispyFries.jpg

My first reaction was WTF?

They look exactly like fast food french fries (mostly short and stubby fries but fries nonetheless).

It's quite funny that on the cover it says "Sliced from REAL potatoes". Really? :hmmm:

I expected them to taste like those shoe string potatoes that you can buy in the can but these were a little more potatoe-y, not as toothy or substantive as real french fries but the flavor was there and they were crispy, of course.

They also come in a cheese flavor which I didn't see on the chip rack.

On the back of the bag Ruffles suggests that if you like your fries warm, pour these fries into a microwave safe container and heat on high for 30 seconds. So now I have to go back to the 7 Eleven where I bought these to see if they have more so I can try the microwave trick. I will report back if I'm successful.

They were an interesting side trip as far as potato chips go. I'd say they're worth a try if you can find them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

A great recipe to try is just taking pretzel rods and dipping into chocolate.  They are so good and are perfect for when you crave chocolate or something salty.  You can go out and decorate them with sprinkles as well.

• 1 month later...

The Original Gardetto's are my favorite - I can't keep them in the house because they are too good. They are pretty much the only reason I ever go to Walmart - its the only place nearby that sells the value bag or at least has the best price. I think the pretzels are the best part although the rye chips are pretty good too. If you want to take them OTT, try them with a little bit of cream cheese.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 8 months later...

I just tried Nabisco's Triscuit Thin Crisp Wasabi & Soy crackers. I like the wasabi & soy Smokehouse Almonds so I thought I would give these crackers a try, as well.

The flavor combination on the crackers is just about the same as on the almonds. The wasabi has a nice spicy kick. There's a nice saltiness from the soy. And finally there's the taste of the Triscuits themselves. Since the crackers are triangular, hence, half as small as regular square Triscuits, they're probably not intended for holding anything on top of them. Which is fine with me since they're a nice cracker to snack on.

Thumbs up from me. :cool:

And what's with the added Long Grain Brown Rice and Whole Grain Wheat mentioned on the ingredient label? It's not they are adding anything to the cracker. The fiber per serving is ridiculous for something that sounds so "healthy" for us :hmmm: .

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Recently discovered the best tortilla chips, well, to my taste.  There are various flavours but I like the sea salt:  President's Choice Kettle Style Tortilla chips.  Delicious.  Bubbly, crispy surface with the right amount of salt and the right thickness AND they are packaged in a sturdy waxed paper bag so that aren't all crushed.

Tortilla chips are one of those foods that if they are in the house, I eat them.  Even four of these beauties can stave off cravings. 

I am snacking on a new Doritos flavor called "Roulette". It's nacho cheese Doritos with one out of six chips being a spicy hot version. Yes, the spicy chip does have a little kick to it. The bag looks like a Doritos Nacho Cheese bag except it has a roulette wheel on it with a circle of chips surrounding the wheel.

Supposedly the flavor has already debuted in Mexico and Canada and is now available in the US.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

These spicy fried favas were in sale today at the big Chinese market (Ranch 99).  Just a bit spicy, perfectly fried, delicate crunch - oh yes!

photo (31).JPG

• Like 1

I was fooled recently by those smirky little Keebler Elves. I bought Keebler Club crackers, Cornbread flavor, to eat with some Jarlsberg Swiss cheese I had recently purchased at Trader Joe's. The crackers are not even pictured on the Keebler/Kellogg's website which should tell you something. They're not salty crackers at all but are sweet like little cookies. The little bastards! :angry:  :laugh:

They should have labeled the box "Northerner's Cornbread cookies" they're so sweet. Here I was hankering for something salty and got hornswaggled into something sweet by those damn elves.  Grrr...Of course, they might go well with Trader Joe's Cookie Butter but that's a post for another thread... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 9 months later...

I confess this is the first time I can recall venturing into this sub-forum.  I'm a fan of nuts from nuts.com but a coworker suggested I try their half popped popcorn:

https://nuts.com/snacks/corn-nuts/half-popped.html

Tonight I opened the bag of half popped popcorn, intending to have a bowl with my usual white mai tai.  I finished the bowl before I got around to as much as cutting up the lime.  Now -- following the requisite peanut course -- I'm about to go pour out another bowl of half popped popcorn.  I fear I'm hooked.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 14/07/2015 at 6:12 AM, heidih said:

These spicy fried favas were in sale today at the big Chinese market (Ranch 99).  Just a bit spicy, perfectly fried, delicate crunch - oh yes!

photo (31).JPG

I buy these loose in the local supermarket. They come in two varieties - sweet/spicy (horrible) and salty/spicy (divine). Unfortunately, due to some on-going dental work, I can't eat them for the interim. >:(

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 months later...

Now available in Japan:

"Black garlic Doritos are the perfect snack for chasing away hunger and vampires"

During the month of October, snackers in Japan will be enjoying a special flavor of black garlic pepper Doritos.

They sound like they might taste good, provided there's enough garlicky goodness to them.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...

A Doritos promotional tie-in for the new "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2":

"A Doritos bag is all you need to play the 'Guardians 2' soundtrack"

Doritos is teaming up with Marvel Studios to promote Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 in an unusual way. They've created a custom-designed, limited edition series of Doritos bags with a built-in, rechargeable cassette deck-inspired player that plays the movie's full soundtrack.

So it sounds like it's not an actual cassette deck player, but some sort of tech that can play the film's soundtrack.

Tim Oliver

I LOVE salty snacks, far better than any sweet.

One of my all time favorites is peanut butter filled pretzels...I don't bring them home because I can't leave them alone.

BTW, Costco's are the best I've tried.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Something new:

"Thought Flamin' Hot Cheetos Couldn't Get Better? They’ve Added a Chipotle Ranch Flavor"

It's a fair argument to say that Flamin' Hot Cheetos are better than the original ... that is, if you like spicy things. But this new flavor adds a whole new dimension. Flamin' Hot Chipotle Ranch.

You'll find similar hints of the ranch flavor in Cool Ranch Doritos, but what makes these even better is the spice kick that comes with it.

If you can't find them at your local 7-Eleven, don't worry - Amazon and Target sell them for just over $3 per 8.5-ounce bag

If you find them, please take one for the team and try them and then report back!

Tim Oliver