• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

I do not know if these have been posted elsewhere, because eG and Google searches weren't particularly helpful. The Fritos  TV commercials from when I was growing up in San Diego popped into my head for some reason, so here they are. Dad loved Fritos. I did not. I do love tortilla chips. The difference isn't subtle to me.

Frito Bandito 1

Frito Bandito 2

Frito Bandito 3

Ai yi yi yi, I am the Frito Bandito! I love Fritos corn chips I get them from you. xD

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I do not know if these have been posted elsewhere, because eG and Google searches weren't particularly helpful. The Fritos  TV commercials from when I was growing up in San Diego popped into my head for some reason, so here they are. Dad loved Fritos. I did not. I do love tortilla chips. The difference isn't subtle to me.

Frito Bandito 1

Frito Bandito 2

Frito Bandito 3

Ai yi yi yi, I am the Frito Bandito! I love Fritos corn chips I get them from you. xD

That "mascot" is now considered horribly politically incorrect. Fritos themselves, on the othr hand, are wonderful. Once or twice a year treat and I savor them. (I have zero self control unless I establish extreme rules...)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, heidih said:

That "mascot" is now considered horribly politically incorrect. Fritos themselves, on the othr hand, are wonderful. Once or twice a year treat and I savor them. (I have zero self control unless I establish extreme rules...)

I know, Heidi, and the third and later video actually acknowledges that in the intro. However I grew up with these commercials and I can't unhear the catchy song or get it out of my head 50 years later. It IS historically correct and part of my childhood. Still can't make me like Fritos, though. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Still can't make me like Fritos, though. :)

Me either....I don't know exactly what it is but, while I like almost every other salty cracker or crisp, I've never liked Fritos.  

• Like 1

I've never thought that Fritos work well alone.  They need dip - bean, onion, etc.  BBQ Fritos were great - but, alas, they are no more.  Mr. Kim has haunted every grocery store in town, to no avail.  He even emailed Frito-Lay, who basically told him to get a life.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You can tell when Fritos go bad when the oil in them oxidizes giving them an "off" taste. Maybe y'all got a bad batch. xD

I love Fritos and love love love their Chile-flavored Fritos. They're great to crumble up and put on top of a bowl of chile.

Fritos are great with the Lipton Onion dip and you can also make a "poor man's Nachos" out of them in a pinch.

Does anyone remember Wampum Chips? Talk about racially insensitive! I believe they were a Frito-Lay product.

Anyway, I could swear that today's Sun Chips are the same as Wampum chips, just renamed.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

Does anyone remember Wampum Chips? Talk about racially insensitive! I believe they were a Frito-Lay product.

Anyway, I could swear that today's Sun Chips are the same as Wampum chips, just renamed.

I don't remember them, but was curious because I love Sun Chips; they are just so pricey. People who do remember Wampum Chips talk about them here.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I've never thought that Fritos work well alone.  They need dip - bean, onion, etc.  BBQ Fritos were great - but, alas, they are no more.  Mr. Kim has haunted every grocery store in town, to no avail.  He even emailed Frito-Lay, who basically told him to get a life.  😁

Have you tried the honey BBQ twists? They can be addictive. 

Fritos in small amounts and not frequently are great. Too many of them make me ill. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 3:43 AM, MetsFan5 said:

Have you tried the honey BBQ twists? They can be addictive. 

Fritos in small amounts and not frequently are great. Too many of them make me ill. 

I like them just fine.  Mr. Kim doesn't care for them.  He is a bit of a purist.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Spotted in a local store this morning. Any takers?

Must be an acquired “killin’ ” taste.  

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

1115549412_fishskin.thumb.jpg.6095a172d898b8fddc9c65ed584670a5.jpg

Spotted in a local store this morning. Any takers?

Me, me, me !

Big thing now in HK as well, but originating in Singapore. I gave a standing order with our supply chain ladies who order directly from SG by the dozen ... Salty, super rich and fishy - what could be better ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Me, me, me !

Big thing now in HK as well, but originating in Singapore. I gave a standing order with our supply chain ladies who order directly from SG by the dozen ... Salty, super rich and fishy - what could be better ?

I would have bought them but they were somewhat overpriced. I could buy a ton of eggs, salt and fish for the price of one 60 gr bag and make the things myself. And do something with the rest of the fish.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto