• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

Anchovy-stuffed olives.

Salty, tangy, slightly chewy, fishy goodness.

2012-03-28 download 223.jpg

and now available not only at your local spendy specialty shop (Andre's Cuban market, Tropical Star, etc), but through Amazon. :)

I have such an addiction to these, making sure to take some to Vegas with me this weekend for Dirty Bacon Martinis lol.

Home made pork rind cracklins. Wonderful snack!

dcarch

2a9451a4.jpg

74d4c027.jpg

My step-dad made these for us a long time ago. He's pure Cajun. They were to DIE for.

I'd love to make them...not sure how to source the pork rind, though.

Yours are beautiful and make me want a beer to go with.

• 2 weeks later...

Lays BLT flavored potato chips

and

Doritos Jacked Enchilada Supreme tortilla chips

LaysBLT.jpgDorEnch.jpg

I consumed the contents of these two bags and scanned them on my computer's scanner.

A two-fer! Surprisingly, I liked both of these flavors.

Of course, the Lays BLT potato chips don't taste like lettuce or even tomatoes. What they do taste like is bacon. Not a heavy dose of it but a light one which is why I was surprised that I liked them. I wouldn't really call them "bacon-y" but I thought they still tasted good.

The Jacked Doritos Enchilada Supreme flavored tortilla chips were also good. They really seemed to have an enchilada flavor which I attributed to the use of a spice in the flavoring that is also used for enchiladas (Red pepper? Chile powder?). They tasted a little bit like the enchiladas my mom used to make. Plus, the Jacked chips meant they were larger, thicker chips, too, which is always a plus.

Two Thumbs Up!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

New member here----- and loved this thread!

A salty craving for me that brings back memories of me many decades ago as a young teen is a slice of white Wonder Bread spread with ball park mustard. A bag of potato chips.

A bite of mustard bread then a potato chip ---- while laying on my stomach reading a book.

Memories!

Another salty snack---- Crack Seed. A friend in Hawaii used to send me some but you can buy them in Mainland U.S now, and probably almost everywhere else. Some are sweet/salty, some are sour/salty, some very hot spicy.

"WHAT IS CRACK SEED?

Crack seed, a popular local snack in Hawaii, comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and flavors. Also known as Li Hing Mui or See Mui, crack seed is actually a variety of dehydrated and preserved fruits."

I'm reading a book on lowering cholesterol and the very accomplished author suggests eating popcorn. She said eating popcorn actually helps lower your LDL. So I went to the store and read the nutrition labels on the bags of popcorn and was stunned at the amount of fat it contained. I then bought a hot air popcorn popper and am having almost 3 cups of popcorn a day. No butter added. It is crazy but since I started eating it, I have lost weight.

I'm reading a book on lowering cholesterol and the very accomplished author suggests eating popcorn. She said eating popcorn actually helps lower your LDL. So I went to the store and read the nutrition labels on the bags of popcorn and was stunned at the amount of fat it contained. I then bought a hot air popcorn popper and am having almost 3 cups of popcorn a day. No butter added. It is crazy but since I started eating it, I have lost weight.

Flourgirl, that's not really suprising; plain popcorn has a TON of fibre in it,

much like those gawdawful rice cakes, and virtually no calories. As far as I can tell, you can get the same results by eating a styrofoam coffee cup!:Don't do it, th

they don't go thru the system so well !;

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I think someone mentioned them earlier, but UTZ crab chips just recently became available in my local store and have quickly become one of my favorites.

My favorite salty snack is almost impossibly obscure -- Corell's Kettle Chips from Beach City Ohio (about 30 miles south of Akron/Canton). Bar none my favorite potato chip. They're hard to describe as I've never tasted any other chip that tastes like a Corell's -- somehow more potato-ey than other chips. Corell's has no national distribution and no website but I think you can order by phone (I have family in the area that keep me supplied). If you're ever in northeast Ohio and see a bag give them a try.

Has anyone tried rousong, aka 'pork floss'? I've seen packets of it in the pan-Asian shop in the centre of town, and am intrigued, although it does look a bit like fibreglass insulating material. Not so sure the packet version is all that the stuff might be.

Yes, I have it mixed into congee but it's also good as just a snack by itself.

PS: I am a guy.

for the ultimate in salty snacks - you can't beat a big pack of salty pork scratchings. delicious, (almost) entirely natural and pretty cheap. They do tend to pack half you daily salt and fat into a small pack though.

Definitely pork scratching for a classic british pub snack, just a shame when you get a hairy one...

Lays BLT flavored potato chips

LaysBLT.jpg

A two-fer! Surprisingly, I liked both of these flavors.

Of course, the Lays BLT potato chips don't taste like lettuce or even tomatoes. What they do taste like is bacon. Not a heavy dose of it but a light one which is why I was surprised that I liked them. I wouldn't really call them "bacon-y" but I thought they still tasted good.

I've gone through about 3-4 bags of these in the past 2 months. I like them. They've got a little hint of tomato going, but mostly that light bacony taste with a hint of mayo flavor.

Cheryl

• 3 weeks later...

I think someone mentioned them earlier, but UTZ crab chips just recently became available in my local store and have quickly become one of my favorites.

My favorite salty snack is almost impossibly obscure -- Corell's Kettle Chips from Beach City Ohio (about 30 miles south of Akron/Canton). Bar none my favorite potato chip. They're hard to describe as I've never tasted any other chip that tastes like a Corell's -- somehow more potato-ey than other chips. Corell's has no national distribution and no website but I think you can order by phone (I have family in the area that keep me supplied). If you're ever in northeast Ohio and see a bag give them a try.

If you can get Utz, look out for Grandma Utz potato chips in a brown bag. They're thick cut, cooked in lard, and well-salted. Best potato chips I've had.

I adore crunchy snacky things, but I find it impossible to stop eating potato and other kinds of chips, so I rarely buy them, even in the tiny fun size packs. On my last trip to Sydney I picked up a couple bags of 'salad mix' rice crackers, some soy snacks and 'falafel snacks'. The rice crackers are the smaller ones without much seaweed, the other two are extruded and fried bits, not too greasy. The falafel snacks have a particularly nice bite to them. I mixed them all up and have started taking them to school for a bit of a treat, but they also go nicely with an evening drink. And I'm not tempted to eat them in one sitting!

My husband likes the roasted chickpeas he gets from the Indian grocer.

Due to huge protein craving, I rediscovered Lance brand Toast Chee cheese and peanut butter crackers tonight.

It was the only thing in the snack machine that seemed to have any protein at all. Damn, they're good with a real

coke, but are still ok with what passes for Coke today, too!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 3 weeks later...

One good...one not so good.

Ruff0001.jpgRuff0002.jpg

These are scans of bags where I consumed (most of...see below) the contents and scanned the empty bags on my office scanner.

While Doritos has their "Jacked" line, Ruffles has the "Ultimate" line. With the Ultimate line, the ridges on the chips seem deeper than normal Ruffles chips and the chips themselves also seem a little thicker. The chips were crunchier/crisper than the regular Ruffles, too.

The Sweet & Smokin' BBQ flavor was good. I'm not a fan of sweet BBQ flavor and I find this flavor a little on the sweet side for my tastes, but overall I do give these chips a thumbs up.

The Kickin' Jalapeño Ranch flavor was horrible. The thought of combining Jalapeño with Ranch flavoring is intriguing and in this case, far from successful. In fact, they tasted so bad that I just couldn't finish the bag which should tell you how bad they were. :laugh:

So one thumbs up, and one thumb way down.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver