• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

Doritos Pizza Supreme flavor

dor31411.jpg

Here's a bag of Doritos Pizza Supreme tortilla chips I consumed and then scanned for this post.

I am a fan of the Doritos Pizza cravers so I was surprised that this new flavor was so bad in comparison. It did have the pizza spice (oregano?) flavor but that was it. It wasn't until the very last chip in the bag (I kid you not) that I got any sort of tomato tang. I didn't taste much cheesiness, either.

I'd pass on these until they improve them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Doritos Flamas

dor31411Flamas.jpg

Another bag of chips I consumed and then scanned the bag afterwards (not in the same sitting as when I consumed the chips in the post above).

I couldn't find these listed on Frito Lay's web site. Most of the printing on the bag is in spanish. These chips are chile and lime flavored.

Zing Zowie!

The chips are a deep red in color. It looks to be the same deep redness as Frito Lay's Flaming Hot Cheetos so I am guessing the same "chile" powder is used on these chips (I have the red dust stains on my fingers as more proof). The chips do have some heat to them so be forewarned. I'm a chilehead so it was minor heat for me but they are spicy hot.

The lime flavor is quite intense. Very intense. Very, very intense.

So if you enjoy the hot-tart chile-lime flavor combo, these are the spicy chips are for you.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Doritos Tapatío flavor

DoritosTap.jpg

Another bag of chips I consumed and then scanned the bag on my scanner.

I got so excited when I saw these. I enjoy Tapatío hot sauce.

The chips do have a slight vinergary taste and there is a little bit of heat. But that ethereal quality that the sauce has seemed to be missing from the chips. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in their flavor. The spicy kick was too mild for a hot sauce-flavored chip. Bummer. :sad:

Tim Oliver

Ruffles Molten Hot Wings potato chips

RufflesHotWings.jpg

Another bag of chips I consumed and then scanned the empty bag.

It's funny that they have chicken wings on the front of the bag instead of potato chips. Perhaps they were trying to sublimally emphasize the chicken wing aspect of the chips.

At first, they reminded me alot of the Ruffles Cheddar Cheese potato chips which I think are pretty good. These are a little more red in color. These do have a nice spicy kick to them like a decent buffalo wing sauce has. It built up in spiciness the more chips I ate. The ingredient list has "chicken fat" on it and while there was a very slight chicken flavor it wasn't strong enough for my taste. Perhaps Frito Lay should find out what the makers of "Chicken in a Bisket" crackers do to make their crackers taste "chicken-y" and apply some of that to these chips.

I liked these more than I didn't like them (damning with faint praise?). :hmmm:

Tim Oliver

Ruffles Loaded Chili & Cheese potato chips

dorscan0311.jpg

This is a picture of a bag I consumed and then scanned. The cover of the bag has Ruffles potato chips covered with chili and cheese.

These were pretty good. I'm assuming Ruffles just started with their Cheddar Cheese potato chips and then added some chili flavoring. They definitely taste like chili. Of course, I had a hankering for real chili and cheese after consuming these chips. :smile:

Thumbs up from me.

Tim Oliver

There is little better to quench a salt craving than deep-fried chicken skins (freshly fried, of course), sprinkled with salt and dipped in ketchup. If you want to gild the lily, dust them lightly with cornstarch before frying them. :wub:

deep-friend chicken skins are my favorite salty snacks.

Whenever I feel like I ate too much crispy chicken skins, I love Chicharon! :D They're the best!

Ruffle Queso Jalapeño potato chips

Ruffles-Queso-Jalapeno.jpg

This is a scan of a bag I consumed myself.

I'm not sure if these are a new flavor. They may have been around for a while.

We have a winner! Not only are these cheesey, they have a nice tang to them almost like a sharp cheddar. They may even be extra cheesey when compared to the regular Ruffles Cheddar Cheese chips.

I could swear I even tasted a little jalapeño flavor, too. Normally when a chip/snack maker slaps the word "jalapeño" on something, it will just be spicey. These do have a little kick to them but, like I said, I swear I think I can taste a little jalapeño flavoring.

I recommend these chips!

Tim Oliver

Saturday, I had some (apparently) crack-crusted peanuts, which were unbearably difficult to stop eating (the humming in my ears helped). In order to save myself, I rather callously offered to share the rest with some friends who normally stick to minimally processed foods. It was a little frightening to see them go from politely sampling what appeared to be a rather dull snack, to feverishly shovelling them in, and frantically dabbing up the residual MSG/spice dust scattered over the bottom of the bowl.

Given that I felt fairly diseased after eating about a quarter of a bag, I'm compelled to conclude that they were not the healthiest things going, but damn, they were good.

I have to say, Duyvis makes some fine-tasting peanut snacks, especially their paprika-flavoured offerings.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 1 month later...

I moved to Calgary a few days ago, and one of the first things I sought out was the Old Dutch bar-be-que (not BBQ) boxed chips. And there they were. I'm in potato chip heaven now! And it seems they make a roastin chicken one. Lay's Roasted chicken chips are available out here as well (they're really hard to find in Ontario, and are one of my favourite chips ever). So if I can find the Old dutch ones, I'm just going to have to do a taste comparison.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I moved to Calgary a few days ago, and one of the first things I sought out was the Old Dutch bar-be-que (not BBQ) boxed chips. And there they were. I'm in potato chip heaven now! And it seems they make a roastin chicken one. Lay's Roasted chicken chips are available out here as well (they're really hard to find in Ontario, and are one of my favourite chips ever). So if I can find the Old dutch ones, I'm just going to have to do a taste comparison.

Damn - that would be dangerous for me to live there!

No no no! It's Bar-B-Q!

Have you managed to find them in small bags, yet? I'm still hoping, but I can only find boxes. While I like boxes, I'm cutting down on potato chips, so I think I'll be safer buying a teeny bag than a big box (which would be eaten in no time!).

Can't find dill pickle in boxes, either. Weird.

sorry that's what I meant! I haven't looked for small bags yet, but I will next time I'm out.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm fond of shelled pumpkin seeds with a light coating of oil, course sea salt and chili powder, roasted in the oven then given a little squeeze of fresh lime juice.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

The newest addiction is Trader Joe's "Lime & Chile Mixed Nuts". I'd tried their lime & chile cashews, and lime & chile peanuts before, but these are way better. Plus, I think they've changed the seasoning mix, this has visible pieces of dried chiles and lemongrass in it. I almost ate the whole bag in one sitting.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

love peanutbutter filled pretzles, i've never cared for any flavor of doritos don't know why cause I like most snacks especially crunchy cheatoes. I'll snack on a can of anchovies. Love a pumpernicle with peanut butter and bacon. I keep wheat thins in a little container in the car at all times because cheatoes make everything orange. When I get a hogie/sub I stuff it with potato chips. I love bbq but hate any snack flavored with it, try an figure that out.

Pretzels dipped in melty chocolate ice cream. Or velveeta ( melted in a sous vide bath of course )

Oh, pretzels with sweet stuff are the best. For my Christmas goodies, I always make butterscotch dipped pretzels. It's just butterscotch chips melted with a bit of vegetable oil (in a Luddite double boiler) and then the pretzels are swirled in, coated and cooled.

But those are always the most favorite goody on the tray....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Pretzels dipped in melty chocolate ice cream. Or velveeta ( melted in a sous vide bath of course )

Oh, pretzels with sweet stuff are the best. For my Christmas goodies, I always make butterscotch dipped pretzels. It's just butterscotch chips melted with a bit of vegetable oil (in a Luddite double boiler) and then the pretzels are swirled in, coated and cooled.

But those are always the most favorite goody on the tray....

Sounds perfect. Never thought of that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Doritos Fiery Fusion

Doritos080111.jpg

This is a scan of a bag I consumed.

The subtitle on the front of the bag says "Sizzlin' Cayenne & Cheese".

The back of the bag says "The slow-burning fire of new Doritos fiery Fusion chips is about to be unleashed on your unsuspecting mouth. Things might start smooth with the creamy flavor of cheese, but in no time your tongue will ignite with hot cayenne, jalapeño and spices."

These chips are a mixed bag, so to speak. Yes, these chips do have a slow-burning kick to them. It builds over time. However, that being said, their flavor leaves a lot to be desired. They just taste generic. It'd be a different story if they tasted as good as the Nacho cheese flavor. But they don't.

These chips are all heat and very little flavor. Disappointing to say the least.

Tim Oliver

I haven't tried that Doritos Fiery Fusion. How is it? I find some of Lays chips salty as well.

If you like hot & spicy, these chips have a good slow-building burn.

Taste-wise, they were meh, blah, etc.

I keep wondering why they don't start with something proven to taste good (like their Nacho cheese flavor) and then just make it hot & spicy, too.

Tim Oliver

I like to mix the hot cheetos with regular cheetos, to get that cayenne / cheesy flavor.

Toliver, I love the way you scan the bags & post the pic.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Toliver, I love the way you scan the bags & post the pic.

Thanks.

I think posting a pic of the (usually) new flavor might help others to spot the bags of chips in their local stores.

Tim Oliver

I haven't tried that Doritos Fiery Fusion. How is it? I find some of Lays chips salty as well.

If you like hot & spicy, these chips have a good slow-building burn.

Taste-wise, they were meh, blah, etc.

I keep wondering why they don't start with something proven to taste good (like their Nacho cheese flavor) and then just make it hot & spicy, too.

That sounds great! I love spicy at times. I think it's good on chips as well. I will try that.