• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty Snacks

robb

I am addicted to salty snacks. I know, I know - I shouldn't eat too much salt. Regardless, I love them.

However, I'm bored with the current selection of supermarket chips, pretzles, etc. I love olives and pickles of all kinds (especially japanese) too but I still crave more variety.

What are your favorite salty snacks? Are there any you make and are willing to share the recipe for?

Cheers.

What are your favorite salty snacks?  Are there any you make and are willing to share the recipe for?

Cheers.

There is little better to quench a salt craving than deep-fried chicken skins (freshly fried, of course), sprinkled with salt and dipped in ketchup. If you want to gild the lily, dust them lightly with cornstarch before frying them. :wub:

I am addicted to 'wheat thins' crackers.

Oh man, soooo salty and soothing. Try regular or the honey variety. The reduced fat ones are great too - I actually prefer them to regular.

Yes, I'm a salt addict. :sad:

the tall drink of water...

Does cheese count? If not, my favorite would have to be the spiced cashews I sometimes buy at Kalustyan's, here in Manhattan. But maybe I don't qualify for this thread, because I wish those were less salty...

Michael aka "Pan"

All from the Indian store, though you can make all at home:

1. Murukku (aka chakli): you'll never bother with pretzels again

(twisted fried crisp dough thingies spicy)

2. Plantain chips (liberally red-chillied)

3. Chiwda (aka mixture): mix of puffed rice, nuts, raisins, spices,

other little fried things, etc.

4. Boondi (teeny tiny fried chickpea flour balls, spicy).

5. Spiced nuts (cashews, peanuts, whatever)

Basically anything from the snacks aisle in the Indian store.

Otherwise my global favorite is french fries.....

Milagai

Most of my favorites are Japanese; luckily, I have a Mitsuwa market nearby. We always have Pretz and Calbee shrimp crisps in the house, along with whatever rice crackers look good, and sometimes wasabi peas. And boiled edamame with lots of salt.

I am also shamefully addicted to baked Cheetos, especially the hot and spicy ones which I have trouble finding except in the vending machines at work. And I like Stacey's soy crisps, but no other brand.

Does cheese count?

I think it does! One of my favorite salty snacks is thin slivers of very very old Dutch cheese.. with those lovely crunchy salt crystals.

another, less dignified one is anchovies, straight from the jar. Fortunately, I only get salt-cravings like that once a month :wacko:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Chufi,

Perhaps I'm veering a bit off track here, but I noticed you're from Amsterdam.

My cousin in The Netherlands, (Ede), often sends us packs of Dutch snacks and treats. I've noticed the licorice comes in either sweet or salty. Although I don't read Dutch, I've been able to deduce that "Zoute" means "salty", although I don't know if that's really the way I'd describe the candies I've had.

SB (especially likes Kraepelien & Holm Honey Bears) :raz:

Edited by srhcb (log)

On the chip side, try Tim's Cascade Jalapeno chips. Best chips I've had (they do mail order which is how I get them most of the time).

I also love an ice cold dill pickle.

Pickled Jalapeno (korean style): pickled in soy/sugar solution. They are really crunchy, salty and slightly sweet. Found in korean grocery stores. BTW, if anyone has the recipe, I would appreaciate a copy.

pickled beets.

Pickled herring (not the cream one).

If cheese counts, my favorite salty snack (albeit more creamy) is Comte' cheese. :wub:

Damn man now I have to go downstairs and shave off a few slices. (wow Casandra Wilson and Comte at the same moment, just call me a "pig in uhhh..... Comte :laugh: .

Calbee Snap Pea Crisps (I get them at TJs). Love 'em!

Pumpkin seeds - salted - that should take care of any salt cravings, and then some!

Beef jerky, slim jims, etc.

Pork rinds

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Utz 'Special Dark' pretzels. I don't know what I am going to do if they ever quit making these. We used to gorge on the extra salty splits that the in laws would bring us back from semi-annual trips to Penn. Dutch-land and the last bag they brought is still on a shelf in the pantry. They taste positively insipid after the Special Darks.

-salted macadamia nuts and salted cashews

-dried squid and dried cuttlefish

-kettle chips with sour cream, pieces of crisped bacon and caramelized onions

-any sort of blue cheese, but especially Neil's Yard stilton

-salted caramel and chocolate

-the Asian-style beef jerky that's spicy and kind of moist :wub:

-Asian pork fluff/floss (those dehydrated shreds of heavily-seasoned pork) on white bread with scrambled egg and Japanese mayonnaise :wub: !!!!

-good baguette with a crisp crust, a thick slab of cold unsalted butter, and a sprinkle of crunch fleur de sel

-nut butters (with a spoon)

-a nice antipasto platter with olives, cornichons, and a good selection of dry-aged and cured meats and cheeses

-roasted garlic with olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar with fresh bread