• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Vancouver 2006 - Restauaranteurs POV

kurtisk

Awwwww! Happy second day Joe!

Big ups to Mrs. TFA for a job well done and to you, too, TFA for being a first-class labour coach.

:biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Cute baby TFA!

Does this mean he's getting a "meat" cake for his first birthday?

:biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hallaluhyah(sic), It's over!!

Don't get me wrong. I love the 2 weeks each year that dine out occurs. It allows me a few extra shifts that I would normally have been called off. The money was great, with the exception of last night. We averaged about 375-425 guests each night, along with 30-40 no-shows! A great success once again.

And damn if I don't make the most incredible hot-water-with-lemon-and-honey you have EVER seen :wink: .

Derek

If you are a restaurant running the Open Table Reservation System, and have issues with no-shows, there is a solution. The rep from Open Table said that there are restaurants in the States that charge the guest x amount of money when they no-show. The cool thing is that they issue a gift certificate to the guest in the amount of the no-show charge.

Thoughts?

Leonard

I think that's a great idea. There is just one flaw to it;you must take a credit card number to confirm the reservation. For a restaurant our size, it just isn't viable. It would be just like NYE multiplied by 14 :wacko:. I'll check with Guest services to see how they feel about that idea :laugh: . I think it would be a great idea for smaller places that really suffer from just a few no-shows.

Derek

I think that's a great idea.  There is just one flaw to it;you must take a credit card number to confirm the reservation.  For a restaurant our size, it just isn't viable. It would be just like NYE multiplied by 14 :wacko:.  I'll check with Guest services to see how they feel about that idea  :laugh: .  I think it would be a great idea for smaller places that really suffer from just a few no-shows.

I think you could only manage it with the online reservations.

LN