• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extended Weekend in Las Vegas

We were in Las Vegas last weekend for three nights. We stayed at the Wynn, and enjoyed it. Great view from the room, looking over the strip and mountains beyond. I would definitely recommend spending the extra for the view. Room service was excellent for breakfast. The room service prices were about the same as the coffee shop, but the view was much better.

All of our dinners were excellent. Daniel Boloud Brasserie was perfect for the first night right off the plane. The room was comfortable and a little more formal than I expected from other reports. An excellent lobster bisque and the orginal NY DB burger for me and lobster salad and braised short ribs for my wife. The desserts are a little hazy. It's easy to get carried away with the wines, but at least I didn't add the extra truffles to the burger. Almost certainly the most expensive brasserie meal I've ever had, but it's Vegas, baby.

Dinner at Picasso the second night. We had the degustation menu, which I believe was $110 for 5 courses. I thought it was a bargain with the wine pairings. One of the best meals I've ever had in Las Vegas. My only criticism was that the lamb could have been trimmed a little better, but that's nitpicking. The room is beautiful and the service was excellent.

Back to the Wynn the third night for dinner at Bartolotta. Antipasti of very fresh tasting sardine special and a warm seafood salad. Primi were a special of penne with mixed seafood and perfect gnocchi, light as a feather, with a tomato cream sauce with parmignano. Next we had a special of delicate sole on a bed of wild mushrooms and brussel sprouts and sauteed turbot with clams, leaks and white wine. Excellent Italian wine list. Very good desserts. The service was fine, if not on a level with Picasso.

Before we left on Monday, we had a late lunch/early dinner at Smith & Wollensky. Their grill room is open all day. The wine list is now all American, but they have some French and Italian wines left over if you ask, and there are some sleepers on the list. We had the house salad and the huge porterhouse for two. I thought the salad was so-so, but the steak was perfect. We also had excellent asparagas and some good hash browns.

We found a quiet oasis for an after dinner drink at the bar in Alex Restaurant at the Wynn. The young woman tending the bar was very charming. I would recommend all four of these restaurants. Definitely not budget places, but I wasn't disappointed in anything they served.

Loved Picasso when I dined here 4 years ago. Napa, with the late Jean-Louis Palladin was also excellent. Aureole was a disappointment.

Well, flying in On Mar 23-26th. Booked the first night at Fix. Need suggestion for a foursome on Sat night and a solo dinner on Sunday. Leaning toward Nobu LV for the solo dinner.

For the solo dinner I cannot recommend L'Atelier de Robuchon in MGM Grand highly enough. By far the best meal I've had in Vegas. One of the top 5 I've had in my life. 9 course tasting menu was $105, or you can order small dishes ala carte. Great for the solo diner since most of the seating is at a counter facing the open kitchen.

If you really want Japanese, I would go to Shibuya, also in MGM Grand, over Nobu. Super cool interior and fantastic food.

I'll second the recommendation for L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon. I've eaten there three times, and every meal was a winner. Go for the tasting menu!

I too have been disappointed with Nobu; its sushi is less than stellar. Give Okada at Wynn a try. Its sushi is top notch, and it also offers an interesting tasting menu (mostly non-sushi items).

• 4 weeks later...

I have it from an excellent source that "If you don't go to Lotus of Siam you're missing something special." And from reports I've seen elsewhere, this is correct!

Just booked a trip to LV for this weekend, and I already have Bouchon on the list for breakfast, as well as Lotus of Siam. We are on a bit of a budget, but will likely splurge for one great meal. I'm going through the threads on this forum, but any/all other suggestions welcome!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I have it from an excellent source that "If you don't go to Lotus of Siam you're missing something special."  And from reports I've seen elsewhere, this is correct!

Just booked a trip to LV for this weekend, and I already have Bouchon on the list for breakfast, as well as Lotus of Siam.  We are on a bit of a budget, but will likely splurge for one great meal.  I'm going through the threads on this forum, but any/all other suggestions welcome!

Hey Curlz,

Glad you're going before me. Tell me all about Bouchon. We're going to Fix at Bellaggio but are undecided on Sat nite's dinner. There's another post below that might help you out.

Lou

In a few hours, I am boarding a flight for LV for the weekend. Tonight we are at Smith and Wollensky's. One of our travelling companions is going to attempt the apparently famous "crackling pig". Friday night we go to Il Mulino in the Forum shops. Saturday is set for Prime at the Bellagio.

Many steaks and hands of hold 'em are in store.

The new steak place at the Mirage is called "Stack". It is run by the same management company as Fix, The Light group. I believe that the executive chef is the same as well. I've heard good things about it thus far, great food, fun atmosphere, and much better prices than Fix

Lreda - I dined at both Bouchon and Nobu during my recent trip to LV and can not recommend them both enough. I would however suggest that you do Bouchon for breakfast. With regard to the previous poster's comment about the sushi at Nobu, the place is known for its non-sushi dishes (i.e. miso glazed black cod, rock shrimp tempura, etc.). You will love the place. Just don't forget to bring your wallet. Now with regard to L'Atelier, nightscotsman's recommendation may be spot on for a solo dinner.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

The new steak place at the Mirage is called "Stack".  It is run by the same management company as Fix, The Light group.  I believe that the executive chef is the same as well.  I've heard good things about it thus far, great food, fun atmosphere, and much better prices than Fix

You are correct that Stack's exec chef is the same as Fix, I believe Stack actually tends to be more expensive than Fix.

By the way, Chris Hanmer, pastry chef at Bellagio created the dessert menus for both restaurants, though the Mirage pastry kitchen produces the desserts for Stack. The restaurant awards in the recent issue of Vegas Life magazine gave Fix the nod for best desserts, though they miscredited executive chef Brian Massie with producing the desserts.