• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a heck of a sandwich

PicnicChef

For a more Christine friendly twist... try this substitute as well.

Remove the below item* from the "Christine's" sandwich and add some nice roasted garlic instead and some olives too!!!!!

*1 large Red or yellow bell pepper, quartered, stem and seeds removed

Bon Appetite! :cool::cool::raz::cool::cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Pulled herb-roasted turkey breast, dill mayonnaise, havarti, cucumbers and salt and pepper on Farm bread

or maybe

Provolone, artichoke spread, green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, red onion, gold peppers, cucumbers & avocado on farm bread

or one last suggestion

Old-time egg salad and thick-cut bacon with green leaf lettuce on Multigrain bread

wait, I lied

Julienned chicken, sun-dried tomato aioli, avocado, red onion, tomato and arugula on Sourdough bread

Pulled herb-roasted turkey breast, dill mayonnaise, havarti, cucumbers and salt and pepper on Farm bread

or maybe

Provolone, artichoke spread, green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, red onion, gold peppers, cucumbers & avocado on farm bread

or one last suggestion

Old-time egg salad and thick-cut bacon with green leaf lettuce on Multigrain bread

wait, I lied

Julienned chicken, sun-dried tomato aioli, avocado, red onion, tomato and arugula on Sourdough bread

Now that you mention egg-salad with bacon. I only can find 2 places by me who make it "right" I hate it with onions or celery in it -UGH- River Vale Bagel on River Vale Road and Country Store 729 Rivervale Road Rivervale (they make good sandwiches too) They both make it the way it SHOULD be made IMHO just egg, mayo, salt and pepper. YUM. If I can find another place that makes it that way I'm there at least once a week! I hate making it what can I say?! LOL (yes it's easy so shush you folks who will tell me this!) :laugh:

-okay I just found out via a little elf that Picnic has unadulterated egg-salad I shall have to check it out... ahem!- :raz:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

I did the pulled pork. I smoked my little butt for eight hours, smothered it in a bit of homemade barbecue sauce...on a soft roll. sold out by noon! Thanks for that, and all the other great suggestions thus far. Keep 'em coming. I really appreciate it!

The Odd-Job: Grilled Marinated Korean Bulgogi Beef with Scallions and Spicy Napa Cabbage Kimchi in a wrap. (I stole it from Sara Moulton)

Zorba the Greek: Sliced Leg of Lamb with Tzadziki Sauce, with fried zucchini and Skorthalia in a Pita, with lettuce, tomato, bibb lettuce, red onion, and crumbled Feta.

The English Bastard: Rare Roast Beef, Melted Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Spicy Horseradish/English Mustard Mayo, Raw Onion and Chutney on Pumpernickel.

Le Saigon: Grilled Vietnamese-marinated Pork Loin, Peanut-Hoisin Sauce (Nuoc Leo), Romaine Lettuce, Fried Shallots, and Pickled Vegetable Salad on toasted French Bread. Also, Le Saigon Beef Flank Steak, Le Saigon Chicken.

Sarah stole that one from my mother - I've been eating those since I was five :raz:

MMmm Jensen that looked real good even for this early hour... I may make one myself albeit a bit modified -tomatoes (I'm allergic to raw tomatoes!) but I may put in black olives instead for that little bit of extra juiciness and flavor. YUM! :laugh:

Christine

I had the same idea as Jason of a bulgogi(or kalbi) wrap.

Any chance that that might be on the horizon?

Best,

Dumpling

This week I'm going to give this one a run! Thanks for the suggestions all!

Ever consider making a falafel type moufaleta (SIC?) something like falafel balls, black olives and either (Evoo or hummus or t'china) with or without "salad" and with choice of sundried or regular tomatoes for flavor? Just a thought?

All these great ideas! On Tuesday, count on Rachel's eggplant parm (with a little twist to the finished sandwich), we're doing the peking duck as a wrap on either Wednesday or Thursday, and the Korean beef will make an appearance on Friday!

Thanks for all the help so far!

Chicken mole sub with shredded lettuce tomato and mayo.. Serve grilled mexican corn with cheese when you can get good corn..

I would do maybe a multi bacon blt.. Do like 2-3 different type of bacon, 2-3 different colored tomatoes, 2-3 types of lettuce... Maybe two different types of bread..Or a marbled..

Maybe do a fried green tomato blt..

Brined and smoked bacon wrapped turkey breast with avacado, tomato and cheddar.

How about latke sour cream brisket and onion sub.. Or chicken liver and onions with latke..

Latke on a sandwich.. Excuse me.. I need to go think about this one..

Chicken mole sub with shredded lettuce tomato and mayo.. Serve grilled mexican corn with cheese when you can get good corn..

I would do maybe a multi bacon blt.. Do like 2-3 different type of bacon, 2-3 different colored tomatoes, 2-3 types of lettuce... Maybe two different types of bread..Or a marbled..

Maybe do a fried green tomato blt..

Brined and smoked bacon wrapped turkey breast with avacado, tomato and cheddar. 

How about latke sour cream brisket and onion sub.. Or chicken liver and onions with latke..

Latke on a sandwich.. Excuse me.. I need to go think about this one..

I'm going to ponder that latke as well. I LOVE the idea of the fried green tomato BLT come summer when I can get some nice ones; same for the MULTI BLT - we do what we call a BL-HT (bacon lettuce and heirloom tomato) in summer, but I think I'll use cob smoked as well as English bacon... GREAT ideas

I liked the carrots and ?parsnips? combo you had with the meat the other day... if you could incorporate into a sandwich that'd be marvelous. My biggest problem is that I am ALLERGIC to raw tomatoes so I often ask for only sundried tomatoes and sometimes get both... and have to remove the raw tomatoes. Something made with sundried tomatoes, garlic, artichoke hearts and avocado would be real tasty too.

All these great ideas! On Tuesday, count on Rachel's eggplant parm (with a little twist to the finished sandwich), we're doing the peking duck as a wrap on either Wednesday or Thursday, and the Korean beef will make an appearance on Friday!

Thanks for all the help so far!

Did I miss the duck? I had the thai wrap today and it was scrumptious as I mentioned in the main forums. I love peking duck with slivered cucumbers hoisin and daikon (I don't like leeks/scallions -ugh-) heh... I'll peep at your menu but if I missed it let me know when you'll make it again! Thanks. :wub:

My favorite sandwich is good smoked turkey (peppercorn is good too) on sourdough (garlic sourdough is wonderful as well) with some good pesto and provolone cheese. Put the sandwich in a sandwich press or even a george foreman and toast it up until its nice and melty, though a toaster oven will work in a pinch.

Add other things you like to it. Spinach is a personal favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a triple decker sandwich.. Like a deconstructed egg salad sandwich.. First layer: Deviled egg yolks, Middle layer: Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato: Third layer: Marinated egg white salad....

Other Version.First: Bacon,Lettuce and Tomato on top.. (Quadrouple it maybe)Second:Egg Yolk salad, Third Egg white salad..(Chunks of egg whites cut in half moons, in a vingraette..)

Edit to add.. Sorry, you should also try to throw in some paddle fish "caviar" eggs... Make it all classy like.. :biggrin:

So like a triple decker white bread toasted sandwich.. With a top layer of deviled eggs w/ bacon,a middle layer of mayo, chopped butter croutons,paddle fish, and a bottom layer of pickled egg white salad

Or a single sandwich.. Make an egg yolk,paddle fish creme fraiche mousse.. Make a spicy tarragon/chevril,watercress/herb bacon and butter crouton crumb salad to top...

Or softshell crab, deviled eggs yolk,caviar,herbs, creme fraiche, and bacon..

Edited by Daniel (log)

How about a triple decker sandwich.. Like a deconstructed egg salad sandwich.. First layer: Deviled egg yolks, Middle layer: Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato: Third  layer: Marinated egg white salad....

Other Version.First: Bacon,Lettuce and Tomato on top.. (Quadrouple it maybe)Second:Egg Yolk salad, Third Egg white salad..(Chunks of egg whites cut in half moons, in a vingraette..)

Edit to add.. Sorry, you should also try to throw in some paddle fish "caviar" eggs... Make it all classy like..  :biggrin:

So like a triple decker white bread toasted sandwich.. With a top layer of deviled eggs w/ bacon,a middle layer of mayo, chopped butter croutons,paddle fish, and a bottom layer of pickled egg white salad

Or a single sandwich..  Make an egg yolk,paddle fish creme fraiche mousse.. Make a spicy tarragon/chevril,watercress/herb bacon and butter crouton crumb  salad to top...

Or softshell crab, deviled eggs yolk,caviar,herbs, creme fraiche, and bacon..

"Paddlefish" - isn't that American Sturgeon caviar? Sounds even classier! Great ideas here!

Sorry, here's the full post.

Here are two related sandwiches, one Italian, One Mexican. A Cemita (Here's a link) My favorite is a Milanesa with chipotle, avocado, cheese, lettuce, tomato and sour cream. Another sandwich is one we used to get in Chicago--breaded steak. On an good italian roll fold up the steak (which like the milanesa has been pounded very thin, dipped in a seasoned flour and egg wash, then fried) cover with red gravy and optional cheese. It's similar to an eggplant parmesan.