• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a heck of a sandwich

PicnicChef

Dinner tonight was beef tenderloin marinated in olive oil, espelette pepper (hot Spanish pimenton would have been better), cumin and minced garlic and then grilled to medium rare. This was sliced thin and served over mixed baby greens and romaine hearts with goat cheese, rehydrated sun dried tomatoes and basil/garlic vinaigrette. Served with asiago rolls. Near the end of the meal I loaded the remains of my plate onto the last asiago roll and made a small sandwich. Holy mother of god it was good. Possibly the best sandwich I've ever made.

Everything can be prepped ahead, so I can see this being a truly wonderful picnic or takeaway sandwich. In fact, the very similar grilled chicken paninis I make with the same basil/garlic vinaigrette are even better the second day as the vinaigrette permeates the bread.

Take care,

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Thank goodness, I'm a blonde!

Gee! I never saw the point of the blond jokes -- I always

liked blonds!

<br><br>

My suggestion is REALLY old! Since you have a smoker, you

should be able to do really well with BBQ pork, either

pulled or chopped.

Besides, one of the reasons

for a restaurant to have a smoker is to 'flavor' not just the

pork but also the 'atmosphere' in the restaurant and even in

the neighborhood!

<br><br>

Some of the posts on this thread

have some really good sounding sandwich ideas with some themes

well known in the US only recently. Good!

<br><br>

At

<br><br>

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1002480

<br><br>

I posted a list of descriptions from 1979 of some outrageous

sandwiches from a unique restaurant Roy's Place in MD. That

list might still give you some additional ideas.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

Cream cheese, bacon, sprouts, and a little thinly sliced red onion on pumpernickel. This used to be one of my favorites at a sandwich place near a company where I worked.

Egg salad with bacon is good, too.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I don't know what you already serve, so forgive me if I repeat anything...

Host Note: I have moved this from the NJ forum, because great sandwich ideas are universal. To familiarize yourself with Picnic's concept, check out their website, here's a link to the daily specials. - Rachel

Hi there! Christine from little Picnic in Emerson. We change our lunch menu every day with between 11-13 items. I'm running out of ideas for new and exciting sandwiches. Got any? I'll give them a test drive and if they are swell, you'll see them on our menu. Thanks in advance for your help!

Just a reminder, link above. :smile:

You got it! I have a new smoker to boot...so I'll do it right! Thanks for the idea!

For the definitive word on smoked butt, click here. Behold my butt!

I just read that thread over my morning coffee...I can't wait to smoke my butt. (and, I am smoking a butt as I ponder the butt). Is it possible, do you think, to smoke it inside on my stovetop smoker, then finish in the oven, for professional reasons. I can sneak my butt in, but the board of health wants my butt in the sanitary, inspected kitchen. I smoke onions and tomatoes on the smoker, as well as pork tenderloins. Dare I smoke a butt?

This is what I make for lunch, when the chefs in the restaurant aren't guarding their mise too closely.......

Sourdough bread

Goat cheese

Sliced avocado

Sliced tomato

Sea salt (Malden)

Microgreens

Obviously better in the summer. I can eat this for lunch everyday for a week when local tomatoes are in season.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

The English Bastard: Rare Roast Beef, Melted Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Spicy Horseradish/English Mustard Mayo, Raw Onion and Chutney on Pumpernickel.

A great one, and on the menu tomorrow, with just a couple of changes due to what I've got...

Thanks

This is what I make for lunch, when the chefs in the restaurant aren't guarding their mise too closely.......

Sourdough bread

Goat cheese

Sliced avocado

Sliced tomato

Sea salt (Malden)

Microgreens

Obviously better in the summer.  I can eat this for lunch everyday for a week when local tomatoes are in season.

In the summer, do you guys get great Heirloom tomatoes. Now that would be one heck of a lunch....

In the summer, do you guys get great Heirloom tomatoes. Now that would be one heck of a lunch....

One of our chefs GROWS his own heirloom tomatoes in his garden at home. With those I have to ask before taking some for my sandwich.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

BLT bologna, fried thick slice about 1/2 inch thick, lettuce, tomato and mayo on sourdough toast. A sophisticated redneck.

I love anything homey! I'll give it a shot. Last time I fried bologna it was on white with ketchup and american cheese and went over quite well! Thanks for the input!

I like a modified South American Hot Dog...

Quick cooked/fried hot dog

with a line of mustard and ketchup a dollop each of mustard and bbq sauce and carmelized onions on top of melted cheese with crunched up potato chips as a topper may sound big or "nasty" but it really is tasty if you mix it just right! (Side of hash browns with or without roasted peppers is a must!) :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Toasted bread, indian chicken curry, crunchy cucumber, red lettuce and yogurt-mint-sauce.

Mozzarella, tomatos, fresh basil, salt&pepper, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegars ... good on sandwich bread, best on crispy ciabatta ... raw or grilled.

Turkey, honey-mustard-sauce and shredded cheddar.

Edited by ChryZ (log)

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

The English Bastard: Rare Roast Beef, Melted Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Spicy Horseradish/English Mustard Mayo, Raw Onion and Chutney on Pumpernickel.

A great one, and on the menu tomorrow, with just a couple of changes due to what I've got...

Thanks

How did this one do?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks

How did this one do?

Swell, although, for the masses I called it the English Gentleman...I'm doing a variation on Monday using Red Dragon, to get a bit of mustard in it. Looking forward to seeing Jersians on Sunday for a wonderful New Year's celebration. Thanks for all the ideas!

Oh yeah, that Red Dragon cheese is great. I love the mustard seeds in it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

How about a Peking Duck Sub with sprinkled skin,scallions,h-sauce, maybe mayo, and lettuce..

Sounds like a winner! Thanks for your suggestions. How about a soy mayo on that one?

Man if you made a peking duck sandwich in a "biscuit type bun/roll" (not those stinky burger ones or hard kaiser type rolls BUT something softer/sweeter) with the skin, hoisin sauce soy mayo and iceberg or other lettuce and skipped the scallions I'd get that 5 days a week! YUM! (Daniel you're evil! EVIL!) ;-) LOL) :laugh:

I only have one teeny tiny comment, one place I order lunch from always includes a side of chips (I wish they were "homemade chips" but that's ok)

So - is it me or am I the only one who likes a small side of something with a sandwich or platter? (home-made pot salad, puree'd sweet potatoes, mac salad, stuffing... something?)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

If you've ever clicked the link for Picnic's Daily Specials, you'll notice that it's rather creatively written, with a fun conversational tone and sandwiches named for staff & friends. Today she's issued a challenge:

Chrissy’s ____Wait, everybody at Picnic (and our Friends have saniches...I don’t) ______ sandwich. Name it, come up with the filling and have a free lunch!

So, if you don't live nearby you won't get a free lunch - has that ever stopped us? What should Chrissy's "sanich" be?

If you've ever clicked the link for Picnic's Daily Specials, you'll notice that it's rather creatively written, with a fun conversational tone and sandwiches named for staff & friends. Today she's issued a challenge:
Chrissy’s ____Wait, everybody at Picnic (and our Friends have saniches...I don’t) ______ sandwich. Name it, come up with the filling and have a free lunch!

So, if you don't live nearby you won't get a free lunch - has that ever stopped us? What should Chrissy's "sanich" be?

GOD I hate cooking however... here goes (and I know the "mistress" likes mushrooms so this is in honor of her likes - and my dislikes) heh ew, mushrooms! :raz: (Also if you want to go NON vegan style you may add your famous "steak/filet mignon" or grilled chicken or grilled shrimp to this as well.)

Christine’s Chinese Mushroom Mania

1 – lrg (5”) Portabella mushroom, stem removed (or you can use any type of mushrooms as well)

1 – large Red or yellow bell pepper, quartered, stem and seeds removed

1 – large onion, sliced into rings or diced (optional)

1 – Focaccia bread or Kaiser roll (I would prefer F bread IMHO!)

1 – slice of fresh smoked mozzarella or provolone cheese

Marinade:

2 tbsp. olive oil 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil 1 tbsp. soy sauce ½ c. water 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/8 tsp. black pepper 1/8 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. dried basil (I prefer sweet oregano) ¼ tsp. lemon juice pinch of salt

Put all marinade ingredients in food processor and blend well.

Put mushroom, red pepper and onion in a bowl. Pour marinade over the top to coat. Turn mushroom, peppers and onions so all sides are coated. Soak and turn in marinade for at least two hours.

** NOTE **

(I would use either SOY mayo OR Soy ranch OR Soy Balsamic-Oil (try one of each and decide for yourself!) 

• Soy-Mayonnaise: Mix 1/4 cup real mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce.

• Soy-Balsamic-Olive Oil: Stir together 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil with 1 teaspoon each of Soy Sauce and balsamic vinegar; pour into shallow dish

• Soy-Ranch Dressing: Blend 1/4 cup ranch salad dressing and 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce.

Grill:

Remove mushrooms and peppers from marinade and place on grill, pouring ½ of marinade on top. Turn and pour remaining marinade on mushrooms and peppers. Toast Kaiser roll. Remove from grill when done.

Serve:

Place grilled mushroom on bottom of bun and top with grilled red peppers and onions, and cheese slice. Spread dressing on top bun.

:wub:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)