• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do Your Friends Think You're Nuts Over Food?

jgm

To my coworkers, I am the class clown, the source of entertainment in the office. I don't mind, I guess. Here's an example.

I work for a divorce attorney. A few months ago, I visited a local restaurant, and strayed from the usual area of the menu from which I usually order. And I found nirvana. When I was telling my boss about it the next week, he reminded me that one of our clients works there. So I told him --jokingly, I thought-- that next time the guy comes in, forget getting a retainer, get that recipe! But I'd forgotten all about that. And I would never ask a client for something like that; I would think he could get fired for passing along recipes to outsiders. So in walks the client yesterday, with the recipe , and I nearly kissed him. (If he's in a divorce attorney's office, he's got enough problems with women, so I didn't.) I was ecstatic. And fortunately, I happened to remember an eGullet thread that contained a recipe he said he had been wanting, so it worked out well for both of us.

One of the newer staff members looked at me in disbelief. "Do you always get this excited over recipes? Pretty much, I answered, floating off on my own personal cloud nine to tell another coworker of my incredible good fortune. Then I called my husband to tell him about it, and I could actually hear him rolling his eyes over the phone. It was a short conversation. :blink:

I've been known to return from pho restaurants with herbs in my hand, munching on them all afternoon, because I couldn't let them go to waste.

I won't even get started on the stuff I bring to the office for lunch. Sometimes they're envious, sometimes they question me carefully about ingredients... either not believing their eyes/nose, or not wanting to offend me. :shock:

A recent trip to a fairly new restaurant in town sent me back to work ecstatic over discovering a really well-made reuben. "It's just a sandwich," said one co-worker. Oh, no, it's not. They make. Their own. Corned beef. :wub::wub::wub:

So do the people in your life stare in wonder at you when you're in some sort of food nirvana?

I think one of the many moments where I realised that my (very new, at that point) boyfriend was the man of my dreams, was towards the end of our first 'date', which was a weekend in Naples. On the final rush of getting essential things (like mozzarella) to take home before heading to the airport , we'd divided up responsibilities and gone our separate ways. His responsilibities were rather stressful & involved little time & lots of lugging of heavy bags. I'm not sure I remember what mine were. When we reconvened he'd not only done the epic bag-lug but somehow also managed to find the best sfogliatelle makers in town and bought a whole box of them, because he knew how much I loved them.

My friends don't really understand the significance of this moment.

Yeap! My friends look at me funny when I tell them I spent $600 on knives... or buy nice super premium wagyu beef.. they kind of understand... but they dont really.. hehe

I can't for the life of me cook a sunny side up egg. I cry *sob*. Dammit I can't bake bread either.

I like photography. It's fun | Japan Day 1 - Asahi, Pocky, Tonkatsu and Whale - Oh my!

If questioned by non-believers, just ask them if they can eat a football?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Oh, if I had a nickel for every time I've whipped out my salt and pepper mills when dining with colleauges...then there's the condiment 'bar' I keep in the storage tower in my cubicle (extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, pepper mill, 2 kinds of hot sauce, a variety of Italian broth cubes, ground cumin (for microwave popcorn), Old Bay, 4 teas (and T-Sacs for loose teas), the honey bear. Maybe they have a point...maybe I am obsessive.

One summer day I HAD TO HAVE gazpacho and couldn't find any. Thank dog I work a 5-minute walk from the city market. Return to office with heirloom tomatoes, parsley, onion, bell pepper, cukes, (already had aforementioned condiments) and moments later I popped into the break room fridge a concoction that would make any Spaniard proud. Off to my conference call...one hour later, I retrieved it from the fridge and enjoyed urgently fresh gazpacho.

I have threatened to write a cookbook "The Cubcle Gourmet." Any takers or contributers?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Moonsnsqrl:

You are not obsessed, you have religion.

Jmahl

P.S. a confession, I take my own pocket pepper mill when I eat out.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Moonsnsqrl:

You are not obsessed, you have religion.

And really, really great style. Balsamic vinegar in the cubicle, eh? I have something to aspire to! The closest I've come is keeping some special honey, for pouring over yogurt.

The people in my office have gotten used to me doing stuff that may seem a bit odd.

Making applesauce in the microwave because I don't like the canned stuff (except my own).

Buying milk in glass bottles because it tastes better.

Making my own cream cheese - sour cream, etc. because it tastes better.

Many more activities, too many to list. They accept my quirkyness and are happy to eat anything I am willing to share.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yup. They all think I'm crazy. And I don't go to nearly the lengths that others here at egullet do. Some of y'all make me feel a little inadequate :wink:. I don’t think I am even terribly particular. I love to eat and cook. I don’t mind a few shortcuts. When I am cooking for ‘just us’, I don’t really go all out and I have a shameful affection for buffets and congealed salads :blush: . But when I entertain, I tend to make most everything from scratch or seek out really good quality products (i.e. – bread). Most of our friends and family (except for my two dads (regular & step) and Mr. Kim’s mom) are the kind who, if they are cooking for a large group, buy ready made stuff at Costco or those supermarket ‘trays’. At restaurants, they are always surprised when I order something that I haven’t ever had before – they can’t imagine ordering something that I might not like. I figure, what’s the worst that can happen? If I don’t like it, I won’t eat it; if I do, I have discovered something new! Sometimes their attitude makes me laugh, but I confess, sometimes it really pisses me off!

I've been known to return from pho restaurants with herbs in my hand, munching on them all afternoon, because I couldn't let them go to waste. 

My mother takes them home to try to root them...

I won't even get started on the stuff I bring to the office for lunch.  Sometimes they're envious, sometimes they question me carefully about ingredients... either not believing their eyes/nose, or not wanting to offend me.   :shock:

My co-workers kind of roll their eyes at my food obsession, yet they hang around my desk hoping for offers of tastes of my lunch or whatever I have. It annoys me, but my Asian background always leads me to ask, "Do you want to try some?" even if I only have just enough to fill my tummy. One of these days, I'm going to grow a backbone and protect my food like it should be protected! :angry:

edited to change "background" to "backbone"...how the hell did I screw that up?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

there's the condiment 'bar' I keep in the storage tower in my cubicle

Hah! I am not alone. Mine contains: Peppermill, olive oil, Frank's Red Hot, Tabasco, red wine vinegar, oregano (for italian subs), green death (pickled thai chiles), sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce, and a good paring knife.

I have threatened to write a cookbook "The Cubcle Gourmet."  Any takers or contributers?

Count me in!

I like to make a hot-pot out of ramen and whatever vegetables I have at home, with grilled chicken. Whenever I fire up the grill, I do an extra batch of chicken breasts, lightly marinated. I slice, portion, and freeze them for lunchtime soups and salads. Then I show up at work with a package of ramen noodles and a plastic container usually containing julienned carrots/celery, green onions, dried black mushrooms, and any other leftovers that will work. I refresh and slice the mushroom, make the noodles, then add the chicken and veg and some soy sauce, sesame oil, and a little sriracha for heat.

Then, sitting at the counter, everyone gushes about how gourmet my lunches are, and I say "hey, it's just ramen noodles. I got the recipe off the front of the packet." and show them the "serving suggestion" picture.

Maybe I'm easily amused.

My co-workers kind of roll their eyes at my food obsession, yet they hang around my desk hoping for offers of tastes of my lunch or whatever I have.  It annoys me, but my Asian background always leads me to ask, "Do you want to try some?" even if I only have just enough to fill my tummy.  One of these days, I'm going to grow a background and protect my food like it should be protected!  :angry:

My wife and I used to work at the same office (that's where we met) so we'd often share my "gourmet" lunches. She used to get irritated at the questioning too. I never do, I love talking about ingredients, etc. It's my nature I guess. I usually offer tastes as well, but I'm not asian or anything. :raz:

The guy in the cube across from mine was though, he was cambodian, really cool guy. One day he said to me, "you look like a white man, but you eat like a yellow man."

I took it as a supreme compliment. :smile:

Edited by pork (log)

The guy in the cube across from mine was though, he was cambodian, really cool guy.  One day he said to me, "you look like a white man, but you eat like a yellow man."

I took it as a supreme compliment.  :smile:

We have a group of consultants from India who re-appear whenever there is a project on and I gained honorary membership when I took a couple of whiffs of their left-overs in the microwave one day and said "biriyani?" I guess that was the secret word/handshake.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Count me in on the Cubicle Gourmet cookbook.

I always have lots of supplies at my desk. Currently, I have Kashi Strawberry Fields cereal, tupelo honey, EVOO, kavli crackers.

We have this new guy who is freaking me out. I guess my food selections are exotic to him, and everytime he walks past my desk, he fondles my food and asks bizarre questions about it. He wanted to know where I got the Kashi. I said Kazmeier's (local supermarket - not gourmet, not health, just plain 'ol market). He said, "Oh, is that some fancy health food store?"

I walked into a meeting a few minutes later and he was talking about my cereal. I felt violated. :laugh:

Then, I brought in those crackers for my chicken salad, and he picked up that box. "Ah, more health food?" "um, no, just some crackers."

I've taken to wearing my headphones with the music turned up very loudly. He hasn't stopped harrassing me about my food - I'm hoping he'll soon take the hint.

Lord knows what would happen if I extended my condiment collection with some Sriracha.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

The most embarassing thing for me is the amount of money I spend on food and ingrediants.

We went to The French Laundry for our honeymoon, and when I told people it cost around $600, they about choked. I say, "but that includes wine pairing AND a signed cookbook!" They look at me like I'm crazy and say, "How could you waste that amount of money on FOOD!?"

It was the best part of our honeymoon. Hell, it was the best part of our year! And I can't wait to go back, although I have a list of about 20 other restaurants...

My friends also find it strange that when we go on vacation, I spend literally months investigating food options for dining and shopping. My entire vacation revolves around finding great restaurants and ingrediants I can't get at home.

When we have friends over, I go to great lengths to order the best ingrediants and prepare every thing I can from scratch. They rave about my parties, ask for recipes, and then complain when they don't come out right. Well, when you sub in Hershey's chocolate for Valrhona, it's not going to be the same.

But I love my life! :biggrin:

We have this new guy who is freaking me out. I guess my food selections are exotic to him, and everytime he walks past my desk, he fondles my food and asks bizarre questions about it.

"The Cubicle Gourmet" really should be put into print. Sounds like a best-seller to me, and very very useful to many many people. :wink:

Danielle - when someone keeps coming by and fondling your stuff, it does not mean they like your stuff. It means they like you.

(Hope he is cute and nice. . . :smile: )

Such a thing exists?!

After trying several options, I have a set of grinders from Sur la Table. They're approx 3 inches tall, 1 inch in diameter and fairly light weight. I keep them in one of those soft-sided, zippered glasses cases and they're in my purse if I am carrying one, or I use the handy belt clip so I am never without. People make fun of them when I first get them out, but generally end-up asking to borrow them. Who wouldn't rather have freshly ground sea salt and telicherry? Good living is still the best revenge.

M.F.K. Fisher

YES, they exist. (pocket pepper mills).

As far as spending $600 for dinner. What does it cost to go to a ball game so that you can eat bad franks and warm light beer ?

I know were I would rather be.

We have this new guy who is freaking me out. I guess my food selections are exotic to him, and everytime he walks past my desk, he fondles my food and asks bizarre questions about it.

Danielle - when someone keeps coming by and fondling your stuff, it does not mean they like your stuff. It means they like you.

(Hope he is cute and nice. . . :smile: )

He's married, not cute, and incredibly annoying. Thus the extra loud iPod.

My friend Mike thinks he is fondling my food as an excuse to talk to me because he wants to "save my soul."

I'd be very excited if a cute guy came by and fondled my food. :wink:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I jokingly refer our group of motorcycle riders as "The French Chef Gang" since we include four great chefs and a sommelier. Others of us (myself included) as just along for the ride (pun intended) and the wonderful food. Hey, smoked salmon, creme brulee, and bottled water ain't a bad lunch by the side of the road. Fortunately, the sidecar serves as the lunch wagon so no one laughs at us being foodies.

Sidecar Ron

Oh, if I had a nickel for every time I've whipped out my salt and pepper mills when dining with colleauges...then there's the condiment 'bar' I keep in the storage tower in my cubicle (extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, pepper mill, 2 kinds of hot sauce, a variety of Italian broth cubes, ground cumin (for microwave popcorn), Old Bay, 4 teas (and T-Sacs for loose teas), the honey bear.  Maybe they have a point...maybe I am obsessive.

One summer day I HAD TO HAVE gazpacho and couldn't find any.  Thank dog I work a 5-minute walk from the city market.  Return to office with heirloom tomatoes, parsley, onion, bell pepper, cukes, (already had aforementioned condiments) and moments later I popped into the break room fridge a concoction that would make any Spaniard proud.  Off to my conference call...one hour later, I retrieved it from the fridge and enjoyed urgently fresh gazpacho.

I have threatened to write a cookbook "The Cubcle Gourmet."  Any takers or contributers?

sign me on as a contributer :biggrin: