• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple Syrup in Vancouver

since i am new to the area i thought i would ask this question. i am about to run out of it and i thought i would pose this question to the board before i just bought any old thing. is there a local brand thats good or is maple syrup generally all the same?

thanx

Definitely grade B. That is, if you're looking for a rather strong maple flavor. Choose grade A if you desire a more mild flavor. Maple Syrup Grades

yes i love intense maple flavour and grade b is good i think...but i was wondering if some producers have better tasting syrups than others. or is maple syrup the same from producer to producer and only varies in taste by the grade?

and thanks for the link!

Maple syrup is, for all intents and purposes, a commodity. It is what it is and no processor, imho, does anything out of the ordinary that either enhances or detracts from the product. I mean, it's just sap from the sugar maple tree that's been boiled down to remove a certain percentage of water.

What is different, as everyone else has mentioned, is the grade. If you want to taste maple, go for Grade B. In the case, if it's maple flavor you want, Grade A is less desireable than Grade B.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Sam's has it as well. Don't know if you have one nearby, but if you do, it's a good value.

Also, I was just in Vermont, and bought some very expensive stuff right from one of the farms.

Then I came home and did a taste comparison with my cheap Sam's syrup.

Honestly, I could taste no difference.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Luc Bergeron's Organic pure maple syrup from Quebec. Sometimes its available at Granville Island from one of the table vendors. Also; available at Whole Foods in West Van. My favorite is the Canada no. 3 dark, not recommended for beginners though! :wacko:

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

i got to thinking about it more tonight and decided to do a little research on the web. i stumbled on some people talking about how todays methods of evaporation do not showcase the flavour of maple syrup as in the old days of boiling it.

i then i searched some more to see if anyone was indeed boiling it instead of the modern evaporative method. every little farm i came accross talked about the new method and not a single place boiled it anymore.

the other thing i came accross were some people discussing syrup from single farms and not syrups mixed together from different places. they said it made a real difference in the taste. kind of like and estate bottled wine.

i never really gave that much thought to maple syrup till i realized how much of it i use... then i got to thinkin ...am i getting most flavour out of it that i could?

so... now in my spare time(whats that?) .... i am going to see if i can find a place that still boils their syrup the old fashioned way. i'd like to see for myself if theres a difference....and of course i will post what i find out.

if anyone knows of any farms that still boil it....let me know.

my curiousity is killing me.

thanks

Hi Onlythebest-

It looks like this company boils their syrup- I have sent them an email to make sure-

this takes you to the page where they describe how they make the syrup.

Canadianmaplesyrup.com

Hope this helps

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I see many from very small family operations in Ontario/Quebec here in Toronto but I am not sure if these brands make it across the country. I will post the name of the one I picked up the other day which was fantastic.

officially left egullet....

I see many from very small family operations in Ontario/Quebec here in Toronto but I am not sure if these brands make it across the country.  I will post the name of the one I picked up the other day which was fantastic.

GREAT! THANKS! I would appreciate that. what was the brand that you bought?

i have seen on the web that they have maple syrup routes you can take to during the sugaring time and visit the small farms. that would be loads of fun.

and ANN thanks so much for that website i read most of it !

thank you both for the info.

edited for my bad typing

Edited by OnlyTheBest (log)

I see many from very small family operations in Ontario/Quebec here in Toronto but I am not sure if these brands make it across the country.  I will post the name of the one I picked up the other day which was fantastic.

GREAT! THANKS! I would appreciate that. what was the brand that you bought?

i have seen on the web that they have maple syrup routes you can take to during the sugaring time and visit the small farms. that would be loads of fun.

and ANN thanks so much for that website i read most of it !

thank you both for the info.

edited for my bad typing

I finished the last bit off last weekend and forgot to get to the market today to confirm the name of the producer so you will have to wait until next week but I know this little place at the north market on the street at St. Lawrence market has about 5 or 6 different ones. They are only there on Saturday so you really have to be on your game, and sadly I was not this morning. Cheers.

officially left egullet....

Maple syrup is, for all intents and purposes, a commodity. It is what it is and no processor, imho, does anything out of the ordinary that either enhances or detracts from the product. I mean, it's just sap from the sugar maple tree that's been boiled down to remove a certain percentage of water.

Now I must disagree. For some time I purchased the Costco product, but I've switched back to the more expensive Luc Bergeron etc. The taste really is worth the difference in price. For baking and other such uses where the flavour won't come through so as to make a difference, I use the cheap Costco stuff. For raw consumption and bathing, I use the good stuff.

I suggest doing a blind taste test.

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I was in Ottawa I picked up some maple syrup from a stand at the Byward Market that was very, very good. It was from "Les Sucreries Jean Leclair, 105 chemin Lepine, Gatineau, QC J8L 3G1, tel: 819-281-3708. I don't know whether or not he will ship across the country but it's worth a try. Judging from the taste, I expect he boils his syrup; it tastes the way I remember it as a kid visiting the sugar bush - fresh out of the pot , spread over snow in a ribbon and then wound around a popsicle stick.

Another favourite maple treat was maple sugar spread over warm fresh, home-baked bread and then covered with thick, thick cream.