• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secret artisinal Kimchi made in Englewood

Jason Perlow

I know this sounds wacky, but artisinally-made kimchi as well as Korean dumplings are being made in the deli / coffee shop adjoining the Motor Vehicle Commission.

A Mr. Jun, along with his wife, who own the coffee shop, has quietly been making all sorts of no-additives or preservatives kimchi, both fresh and long-fermented, for a number of years, in the basement of his coffee shop. His customers apparently come from far and wide, entirely by word of mouth, including Koreans who visit the US and take his product home back to Korea.

Mr Jun was an agricultural engineer in his homeland, and is a nut about purity and quality. He even makes his own soy sauce and fermented soybean pastes (Gochujang and Saemjang). If you've been buying your kimchi from local Korean markets, and you think that stuff is good, you owe it to yourself to give this stuff a try. He's got other kinds of things he makes there, so you need to inquire within.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I know!

These little secret places in and around Englewood are always interesting, but this one was a real shocker to me too.

Although Mr. Jun's english is only so-so, if you can get by that barrier you are left speaking to a VERY well educated man too. He's a fascinating guy, and I hope he's willing to give you a more formal tour at some point, Jay.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I went in there on Saturday and got great kimchi, kimchi dumplings and soup. It was all fantastic. I especially like the dumplings because the kimchi, while noticable, is not overpowering. For overpowering kimchi dumplings, I head for Won Mandoo in Cliffside Park (big Kimchi pork steamed buns there too).

I guess I met the Mrs. at the deli who was really nice. At one point, she called up her son on the cell and he talked to me about how best to prepare her dumplings - in soup, not pan fried.

where is the motor vehicle commission in englewood?

joanne

Its behind Han Ah Reum.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jeff (my husband) and I went to this little "deli" behind "H-Mart" next to the DMV in Englewood right by the small circle at the end of the shopping district and though it looks like a little deli, they have a "hidden arsenal" of goodies in the fridge, and keep the Kimchi downstairs or somewhere out of sight! :smile:

When we got there at 430 it was nice n quiet (after we shopped at "H-Mart" in Ridgefield Park and walked around the little mall that it is in!) I got my delimanjoo fix at the H-Mart... so we stopped in here and the daughter? or someone was handmaking manjoo/mandoo? aka "dumplings" so I ordered a container of beef dumplings, good for a rainy day and hubby ordered a half gallon of their cabbage kinchi - it smelled better than at the market but he says it tastes more or less the same - I never eat it, but tried a small forkful at home, my mouth hurt a bit (I'm not a spicy food eater!) but it tasted nice n fresh compared to the smell of the pre-made ones at H-Mart IMHO!

I suggest if you're a dumpling or kimchee officianado go there.

They said they had radish kimchee, cabbage kimchee and other stuff. ENJOY!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.