• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Drinkers Eat Healthier

Rebel Rose

From a FoxNews report:

Wine Drinkers Eat Healthier Than Beer Drinkers

People who bought wine bought more olives, fruit, vegetables, poultry, cooking oil, and low-fat cheese, milk, and meat.

Beer buyers bought more prepared dishes, sugar, cold cuts, chips, pork, butter or margarine, sausages, lamb, and soft drinks.

The study was conducted in Denmark from grocery store shopping receipts of 3.5 million purchases over 6 months. Because (duh), "people don’t always accurately report what they eat and drink."

How does your diet compare? Does a passion for wine, or preference for wine with food, factor in as part of an eating lifestyle?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

At my house, we drink both wine and beer, I'd say about 50-50 for the guy I live with and I drink about half as much beer as wine. (My beer consumption is getting less and less because it seems to affect my weight more than moderate wine consumption does.)

Intuitively, I'm ready to believe that about the supermarket receipts but when I saw that spot on Tv I had to laugh at the idea that people are "wine drinkers" or "beer drinkers;" it's just not true of most people I run into. Except for some who drink wine and no other alcoholic beverages.

What a fascinating topic! I think I fall as an outlier because I love both wine and beer, and I eat a very varied diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, home-cooked meats--and even planned leftovers for lunches instead of cold-cuts.

My beer consumption is decreasing because it is my fiance who generally buys the beer since we moved in together, and I'm not a fan of the National Beer of Nebraska, Bud Light. When I purchase beer for myself, it is just as likely to be a six-pack of something much heavier which one simply cannot drink pint after pint of.

I would love to see a breakdown of "discerning beer buyers" vs "American-style beer buyers". I.e. break out six-packs of SIAC beer vs beer that is brewed to have flavor and body, then see how things stack.

However, I do buy about even amounts of butter, oil, and olive oil. They all have their places in my diet.

But, responding to Tess's comment, in my area a lot of people are not just beer drinkers or wine drinkers, but you can break the beer drinkers down into groups of Bud Light drinkers, Miller Lite drinkers, Busch Light drinkers, etc. It's scary.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

After three or four Black Velvets, I don't need to eat.

This is true. Code for beer in my Reserve Army unit is "pork chop in a can".

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.