• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch with who?

eJulia

If you could have lunch with any two "foodie" people, living or dead, who would they be?

My first choice, hands down, would be my namesake, Julia Child. (Yes, my name really is Julia.)

As I contemplate a suitable lunchtime companion.... Jacques? Too easy. Jeffrey Steingartin? Too much of an a**hole for a pleasant lunch with Julia. Bobby Flay? Too "in" to himself for his own good. Tyler Florence? Same. Ina Gartin? A bit too stuffy. Sandra Lee might be funny, but a bit of an insult to Julia.

I'd pick bleudauvergne from our own eGullet. I have loved all her posts, and I think she'd appreciate lunch wirh Julia!

Who would you pick?

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Who would you pick?

I would like to pick MFK Fisher and Julia Child, but I worry that I wouldn't really be a part of the lunch conversation. I'd love to sit there and listen, though. I think maybe the two of them and a couple of other friends would make for a great meal.

As an alternate, I think that Mario Batali and Alton Brown would make an interesting combination.

M. Thomas

There are plenty of food world people I'd love to meet, or get to know by visiting with on a regular basis, but in order to just have lunch I'd want to feel comfortable rather then star struck.

I'll take Sara Moulton and Iron Chef Sakai. :smile:

SB (and, I guess, an interpreter, unless Sara speaks Japanese) :wink:

I'll take Sara Moulton and Iron Chef Sakai. :smile: 

SB (and, I guess, an interpreter, unless Sara speaks Japanese) :wink:

Or, if Sara doesn't speak Japanese, (or Sakai English), and I can't add a third person, I'll take Bourdain.

SB (we have a few things in common) :rolleyes:

Bourdain and Batali

I would've picked the obvious Julia but I don't think my palate would do her justice.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

All politics aside, Kim Jong Il and Winston Churchill. Just for the extremes of conversation and foodie bent, although arguably they have similar taste, so perhaps Elvis Presley instead of the Glorious Leader. But I'd probably go back in time to eat with The King, like at the Fontainebleu Hotel Miami Beach in 1965 or so, as opposed to picking a modern setting. Or maybe do a personalized binge eating tour of his favorite spots in Memphis.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I could really enjoy lunch with Julia Child or someone else like her, but right now I'd prefer to lunch with Lucy aka Bleu... and someone like Molly Stevens, because the kind of thing they do very well is what I'm exploring more of at the moment -- Lucy's writing of late has inspired the part of me that always longs to live a richer, more deliberate everyday life and the Le Creuset oval French oven I got for Christmas combined with the winter season has me braising, braising, braising. (Unfortunately, I didn't receive Molly's cookbook during the holidays. I've drooled over it in a bookstore, but the budget just won't bear it for now, so I was extra-delighted to see an article with recipes by Molly in the Feb. Bon Appetit. I'm planning to try the bean soup with sausage in a day or two.)

Edited by Lori in PA (log)

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

For currently alive educated chefs, (AB)^2, Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain.

For educational aspects, Margaret Visser and Harold McGee

For sheer wackiness, George Hormel (credited with inventing Spam®) and John Belushi (as The Samurai Chef)

But, my piece de resistance is the Turning Points of American Cookery couple, Thomas Jefferson (inventor of macaroni and cheese) and Julia Child (inventor of Julia Child)

Who is this Bourdain fellow everyone keeps mentioning?

Anthony Bourdain, author of Kitchen Confidential. Ambrose Bierce of the cooking world.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

OK... I want Tony B, too, but only if I can have him unmarried and alone with me! :wub:

Edited by eJulia (log)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I wish I could eat this huge meal with that Rossini guy.. I dont know too much about him, but whenever his name is on a menu, the dish is pretty well loaded.. He would of course pick the meal of his favorite things.. And I will agree with Petite that a meal with Henry the VIII would be spectacular as well.. Actually a combo meal chosen by both men would go down in the books..And lunch would have to last at least 10 hours.

Edited by Daniel (log)