• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MOE: DC - The Whole Beast Looks East

Pontormo

Member Organized Event:

THE WHOLE BEAST LOOKS EAST

Saturday, 4 February, 7 PM

Bob's Noodle 66

305 N. Washington Street

Rockville, MD 20850

(301) 315-6668

At the end of the month, we will move from the Year of the Rooster to the Year of the Dog. Many of us made New Year's resolutions to eat new things and learn more about food in parts of the world we have yet to explore.

This local event provides an opportunity to do both in the company of like-minded eGullet members.

Popular with the large Asian community of Rockville, Bob's Noodle 66 also receives high praise from Eve Zibart, former food critic of The Washington Post, and catches the eye of our own DC Foodie and H J Shorter. Its Taiwanese specialties represent a fusion of diverse culinary traditions of mainland China and those of the Japanese who occupied the island.

While many of the island's dishes feature seafood, Fergus Henderson would feel very much at home with Spicy Pig Ear, Intestine Pig Blood with Sour Mustard, Duck Tongue with Basil or Ginger Frog Casserole with Bone. Feeling more Charlie Trotter these days? While little is raw, vegetables dominate in a number of soups. There is always bean curd, and of course, stir fries with shrimp or comforting noodles. Please note, though, that the delicious Taiwanese Hamburger is actually pork.

Cost: Approximately $25 for two dishes, beer, tax & tip.

Appetizers $3-$11; Noodles or Specials $4-$16.

Main-course soups average $6. Seafood, $13.

Payment: Cash at conclusion of meal. Check to be divided equally.

Cap: 10 people, first-come, first-served.

RSVP: Via PM to me, Pontormo

This event has been organized through the eG Forums by members but is not sponsored by the Society or its eG Forums. The event is open to all participating eGullet Society members, contributors and their guests. By participating in this event, you confirm your understanding and acceptance of the eGullet Events Policy, to which all eGullet Society members have already agreed.

Items from the menu will be posted below for your perusal or comments.

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions about or discuss the event.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I'm having visions of Eat Drink Man Woman even as I read this. I look forward to the menu post--though really, if there's langue d'canard, is there anything NOT on the menu?

Question...Bob's has a liquor license? (You mentioned beer.) And participants will all be dividing the check completely equally?

I asked if there was beer when I made the reservation, and the woman said, yes, they served it. We both had to repeat ourselves several times in order to make sure everything was in order, but I don't think there was a misunderstanding.

The method of payment was a joint decision in consultation with management. It seemed the easiest solution and least verbose way to post the information.

However, this is a small group. Personal requirements and health matters, such as pregnancy or a desire to eat only $4 items after buying a new digital camera to document the experience :smile: can easily be accommodated, I am sure. I always carry a calculator with me, so....

I will be logging out for the evening as soon as I post this. However, I will be turning on my computer early tomorrow morning. Look for listings from the menu some time in the next couple of days.

Please feel free to ask any further questions here...or send your RSVPs.

P.S. Dig your reference to Ang Lee's movie--one of my ABSOLUTE favorites.

Cf. the related, ongoing Cook-Off where Tampopo is cited.

And, yes, what ISN'T on the menu!!!!

Sweet & Sour Pamphlet

Bitter Melon with Anchovy

Loofah with Dried Baby Shrimp

Manila Clams with Ginger Soup

Abalo[ne?] in Chicken Soup

Seafood Bean Curd Thick Soup

Taiwanese Dry Noodle w. minced pork, bean sprouts, chives & marinated egg

Hot (Spicy) Beef Stew Noodle Soup

Pork & Mustard Noodle Soup

(Homemade noodle served in chicken broth w. shredded pork & Szechwan pickled mustard green)

Stir-fried Noodle with Clams

Fragrant Bean Curd Skin Roll

Jelly Fish

Sea Snail with Basil

Fried Oyster

Crispy Soft Shell Crab

YsuTsai with Fresh Garlic

Edamame w. Baby Shrimp

Shanghai Chow Mein

Kidney with Sesame Oil and Ginger Sauce

Sea Cucumber with Vegetable

Rice Sausage

Sauteed Baby Short Ribs with Scallion....

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Make that seven spaces left, as the Mrs. and I are craving some jellyfish and duck tongue.

Question: does one eat the whole tongue, crunchy bit inside and all? Or do you slide the flesh off the cartilage with your teeth, as though trying to eat a miniature corn-dog without ingesting the stick?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

EEeeuwww :wacko: ! Mr. Busboy!

We're trying to get people INTERESTED.

Have some respect for our very pregnant guest....and me since I had a hard enough time seeing calf's tongue wrapped up nice in plastic at Whole Foods last week, as fascinated as I was with all the pig tails and ears viewed while wandering through food stores in Mount Pleasant.

I will try ONE body part or sea creature I have never had before, but if I order soup, it will not be the Pig Stomach, Sour Mustard.

Now, Busboy* is excused since he's helped me organize the event, but others, please send me a Personal Message to save a space. Do not post RSVP's in this thread.

*Incredibly helpful in so many ways. THANKS!!! :smile:

I would also like to acknowledge the gracious help of H J Shorter who picked up a copy of the menu.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Another RSVP came this morning.

There are SIX remaining spots.

P.S. The restaurant is within walking distance of the Rockville Metro station....maybe a ten-minute walk. Click on the link for "H J Shorter" in the original post and scroll down to her message. (The thread is about two Asian grocers. It was on a shopping spree to the places she identified that I spied crowds dining happily and well at Bob's, which she also recommended.)

We now number eleven; the last spot was taken.

Since twelve is probably just as easy as eleven, there is probably room for one more....so I will let the next person who's coming solo to join us, too.

Otherwise, I'd suggest calling the restaurant yourself to make your own reservation at the same time and plan to introduce yourself. I've been told by several eGullet members that Busboy is hard to miss.

Also check back here periodically. I'll let you know if anyone has cancelled.

If you couldn't make this event, but like the idea of future eGullet activities, feel free to send me a PM, too. I'll start to save a list.

Cheers!

Pontormo

We now number 12 since there was a response to the post above.

The eGullet table(s) is or are full.

While we will be a week into the new Lunar New Year on Saturday, February 4, you may wish to consult the Asian forum where a discussion of traditional dining is underway.

So far, I have learned that bittermelon and fresh tofu (? I think...though woken prematurely by a construction crew and emergency generator, I am lacking in mental acuity) are considered unlucky. You may wish to prepare by learning what to and not to eat to secure good luck and fortune in the year ahead.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Eat noodles and dumplings! For the love of all things holy, don't eat bittermelon on Chinese New Year! ACK! :blink:

Eat stir-fried clams, eat sea cucumber, eat braised mushrooms, eat a WHOLE FISH and/or a WHOLE CHICKEN (head and tail MUST! MUST! MUST! be intact). As for the tofu thing, I'm unsure. I think b/c it's so white (which is the color of mourning for us) it's not allowed.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

And one more thing:

Please, please, please for the dear love of all things holy do NOT play with your chopsticks at the table. Especially at this dinner. Oh God, please just DON'T! I can't tell you how annoying it is to have someone play with their chopsticks when they're at dinner. You don't see me drumming out "Hot Blooded" with my steak knife at a restaurant, do you?

Sorry, just had to mention it....

:shock:

We have all sworn to respect and abide by eGullet policies at this event and plan on being on our best behavior.

As the Organizing Member, I hereby assign the thread on paper-wrapped chopsticks in Chinese restaurants as required reading for all planning to attend.

The link will be added some time in the very near future.

Now, we are supposed to slurp our noodles, right? Or is that only in Japan?

Eat noodles and dumplings!  For the love of all things holy, don't eat bittermelon on Chinese New Year!  ACK!  :blink:

Eat stir-fried clams, eat sea cucumber, eat braised mushrooms, eat a WHOLE FISH and/or a WHOLE CHICKEN (head and tail MUST! MUST! MUST! be intact).  As for the tofu thing, I'm unsure.  I think b/c it's so white (which is the color of mourning for us) it's not allowed.

I'm still waiting for an answer on my duck tongue query (see above).

Sea cucumber, huh?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

And one more thing:

Please, please, please for the dear love of all things holy do NOT play with your chopsticks at the table.  Especially at this dinner.  Oh God, please just DON'T!  I can't tell you how annoying it is to have someone play with their chopsticks when they're at dinner.  You don't see me drumming out "Hot Blooded" with my steak knife at a restaurant, do you?

What's the etiquette on using chopsticks from home, but not from your own home? I just got a beautiful set of chopsticks (10 pairs) from a family member who vacationed in Asia. I would love to bring them to the dinner and share them with all, but obviously I want to take all of them home with me. I know that bringing your own chopsticks is acceptable, but what about bringing for a group?

I'm still waiting for an answer on my duck tongue query (see above).

Sea cucumber, huh?

How to eat a duck tongue:

1. Pick up the tongue in your chopsticks. Nibble around the cartilage like a corndog on a stick and discard.

2. Stick the whole thing in your mouth, chew, and gently remove the cartilage using your chopsticks (a la removing a fish bone from your mouth at a fancy dinner party)

3. Do the same as #2 but just spit out the cartilage onto your plate ala mainland Chinese style. :laugh:

Chefs in the area have gotten really lazy - used to be they'd remove the cartilage and you'd just have a plate of tongues ( :wub: ) but now they just cook everything together. Bah!

And one more thing:

Please, please, please for the dear love of all things holy do NOT play with your chopsticks at the table.  Especially at this dinner.  Oh God, please just DON'T!  I can't tell you how annoying it is to have someone play with their chopsticks when they're at dinner.  You don't see me drumming out "Hot Blooded" with my steak knife at a restaurant, do you?

What's the etiquette on using chopsticks from home, but not from your own home? I just got a beautiful set of chopsticks (10 pairs) from a family member who vacationed in Asia. I would love to bring them to the dinner and share them with all, but obviously I want to take all of them home with me. I know that bringing your own chopsticks is acceptable, but what about bringing for a group?

You can but honestly, no one really does this when they go out to eat. I've not heard of any Asian that brings chopsticks from home for a group dinner. It's not that it's bad etiquette or anything like that. We're either too lazy to do so or too worried that someone might leave them behind! :laugh: