• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2006

johnder

I don't recall any wristbands being distributed to Bubba FastPass holders. There may have been AmEx VIP wristbands for the AmEx VIP area in the park, but getting on the FastPass line just required presenting a FastPass.

One more time, to summarize: the FastPass is the equivalent of a cash card. You can pay for anything at the event with it, throughout the event. You can buy as much as you want and share it with your friends. However, only two people are allowed on the FastPass line per FastPass. That's just for the line to get food. Once you get food you can feed it to whomever you like.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I didn't get any wristbands with the pass we got this year, for whatever that's worth...

Last year I had the card mailed to me and picked up the wristbands at the event along with a bag and t-shirt that was part of the deal. Maybe it was an AmEx thing, but I do recall that people were being given trouble if they tried to get in with just the card.

One thing I do regret this year is there is no AMEX event at Blue Smoke on Friday like there was last year. But I'm totally going to check out the pits on Friday night.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

One thing I do regret this year is there is no AMEX event at Blue Smoke on Friday like there was last year. But I'm totally going to check out the pits on Friday night.

Do you think that it would be possible to talk to some of the pitmasters on Friday night if you were just your average person?

Edited by strongcuisineNYC (log)

Yes, totally. You can walk down (26th Street? 27th?) the street adjoining Madison Square Park where they set up and there are very few on-lookers hanging around, just barbecue freaks like myself prodding the pitmasters for juicy info. Nobody will stop you from walking up and talking to these guys, in fact they encourage it. Just be nice and be patient, because they have to pay attention to the smoking process and the first hour or two of setup time is crucial. Hang out at like 9PM or 10PM or so and they will just be sitting around.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Some people hang out at hotels or bars hoping to chat it up with rock stars or athletes.

Others try to sneak onto the lots in Hollywood to catch a glimpse of the stars.

For egulleters, it's late night at the BBQ pits.... :raz:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Of course, all of you can do what you want, eat what you want, and talk to and listen to whoever you want-BUT-what you should do is go to the seminar on Sunday afternoon with John T and Ricky Parker.

You will be able to watch the sort of/kind of world premier of my friend Joe York's (filmaker for the SFA and all around decent sort of guy) new short film, "Whole Hog" which features Ricky and some of his family, along with one of the most evil and clueless people on Earth (watch the film-you'll see). It's a great movie and was well recieved at the Pork Film Festival in Dubuque and at the Swine Life Festival, as well.

Ricky Parker is THE MAN. He is one of my personal lifestyle heroes and a man who can tell you more about whole hog than you might ever want to know.

Ricky gets his hogs from ONE GUY, who raises them with the utmost care. Most of these whole hog guys don't have a clue (Ed Mitchell is a giant exception) what kind of pigs they get or how they are raised. Ricky told me that he wants to be "the best there has ever been" and I'm telling you that, right now, easily, he probably is in the whole hog world. He is the Einstein of Whole Hog BBQ. He never sleeps, he only drinks Jack Daniels and Mountain Dew. He is, once again, one of my personal lifestyle heroes. Here are a few Ricky pics.

Ricky and one of his many friends.

gallery_10237_3032_830547.jpg

Ricky explains the art of cooking whole hogs and gives a few lifestyle tips

gallery_10237_3032_615265.jpg

Ricky and his 13 year old son Zack turn a hog. There were 17 going at one time on his three pits. It's a 24 hour a day job and YES they sell that much meat.

gallery_10237_3032_141084.jpg

All of his Duroc swine is USDA inspected. This is actually a pretty big deal in terms of resale and safety and many places don't go to the trouble and just sneak them by the man as best they can. Not my man Ricky. He goes the extra mile.

gallery_10237_3032_565003.jpg

And, well, I couldn't help myself. How often do you get to pose in a meat locker with Porky?

gallery_10237_3032_441993.jpg

Also on the bill for the seminars is Lolis Eric Elie and his movie, Smokestack Lightning, which is also well worth your time. I love the thing. The film work is great, the narrator is very good (Lolis is nothing if not erudite), and the soundtrack is worth the price of admission.

Have fun. It looks like a good time. And, if you are ever driving from Memphis to Nashville, swing off of the highway in Jackson and head for B E Scott's Barbeque. You won't regret it. There's nowhere quite like it. The meat is served STRAIGHT FROM THE HOG-not chopped all to hell and ruined with some vinegar concoction. Want ham? Ask for it. Want shoulder? "You bet!" Can I have some of those rib bones (no meat on them) so I can just eat the marrow out of them? "You're our kind of guy!"

Really, go watch the guy. He's pretty much mesmerizing.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You had me until

he only drinks Jack Daniels and Mountain Dew

:wacko:

Though I probably will check out that seminar. The Good Pig one on Saturday also looks promising for those interested in the kind of pigs they get and how they're raised. Ever since I read Peter Kaminsky's book I've been dying to try some Ossabaw.

You had me until
he only drinks Jack Daniels and Mountain Dew

:wacko:

When one's mission in life is to spend as much time as possible learning all that can be learned about whole hog there is an essential thing that has to be learned-how to stay awake as much as possible keeping an eye out for pit fires. There is a good bit about this subject in the film, Whole Hog, and the drink, really, makes perfect sense-lots of caffiene needs to be consumed to stay awake and, well, if you are going to be awake, you might as well be happy about it-which is where the Jack Daniel's comes into play.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I was at this event last year and it was great, however I had a long wait in line for some unbelievable ribs - I don't think I am gonna do the Bubba Pass, will getting there early avoid the lines? What time? THanks

if going without a pass, arrive one hour before the event, scout out what line you want to hit, and plant yourself there.. if you're not alone, and want more than one type of barbecue, put each person on a different line and arrange a place to meet up.. the lines are absolutely ridiculous, they'll easily be one hour plus if the last few years are any indication..

in years past all the food (except snouts??) were provided on-site for the vendors to cook.. has this changed??

i can't remember whether you needed the wristbands last year to get into the fast pass area.. they definitely mailed out the cards but had you pickup the accompanying swag at a tent in the morning, including the bracelets.. i seem to recall having three people behind the lines last year..

You need to visit all the pits. But definitely RUB's brisket and South Side Market's Elgin Sausage, and Mike Mills' baby back ribs and BBQ beans. Oh yeah, and Dinosaur. And Salt Lick.

RUB technically is Kansas City representation, stylistically. Paul Kirk was based in KC before he opened his new restaurant in NYC.

Just wondering if anyone has been to Madison Square Park today to see what is going on and how the setup is going? I plan to arrive tomorrow AM around 11. Do you think that is enough time to avod the lines?

You can actually get a pretty good view of the street setup from the ESB cam here.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I See...........Barberque Pits

YAY

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It is a movable/zoomable camera on top of the empire state building. A few minutes of tweaking got that view.

That's very cool. How did you get that angle?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

In case anyone is interested, I've put together a rough "Pre-Game Show" podcast (click) featuring Ed Mitchell, Kenny Callaghan, Gary Roark and Otis Walker from my Friday night pitmaster inspection. There's a ton of background noise because we're right on the street and a lot of stuff is going on but I think you'll like it.

gallery_2_3048_184143.jpg

Otis Walker, Smoki O's.

gallery_2_3048_184944.jpg

Rib Tips prep at Smoki O's.

gallery_2_3048_243883.jpg

Cleaned and prepped rib tips, ready for smoking.

gallery_2_3048_118587.jpg

Ed Mitchell's whole hog smoking rigs.

gallery_2_3048_202871.jpg

Gary and Mrs. Roark, Ubon's BBQ.