• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2006

johnder

Looks like this years Big Apple BBQ Block Party will be June 10th and 11th 2006.

I have updated the EG Calendar - more details to come soon hopefully.

I hope they fix the issues with the bubba passes this year. The whole get your receipt and present it to the bbq stall was kind of stupid. Ideally they will give each of the stalls a card reader that will just deduct the price from your pre-paid card.

*fingers-crossed*

Previous eG Forums threads on BABBPs past may be found here:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 2 months later...

They just updated the big apple bbq site with some details of the upcoming 2006 event. Details are still thin, but the highlights are:

More space -- apparently they are taking over 24th between Mad and Park this year as well. Last year they had some wierd film event/cookoff in that space from what I remember.

More pitmasters -- 12 this year (as opposed to 10 from last year)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

We received a tip that Bubba Fast Passes for the 2006 BABBP will go on sale this Monday 17 April 2006. There are only going to be 2000 Bubba passes for sale this year. Denominations are $125 and $200. To purchase, call 212-228-3585 x25.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...

I recently interviewed Danny Meyer and spoke to him about his career as a restauranteur, the upcoming Big Apple Barbecue Block Party, and THE MODERN:

Click for Podcast: Danny Meyer, Union Square Hospitality Group (Off The Broiler)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Can't wait to go this year. I just got back from Memphis and the BBQ Fest. I saw Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson's and Mike Mills from 17th Street bar and grill. I will be hanging out behind the fence with both of them!

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

So far it seems much more organized than last year. I ordered my Bubba Pass over the phone in the morning and received it in the next day's mail.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

We received a tip that Bubba Fast Passes for the 2006 BABBP will go on sale this Monday 17 April 2006. There are only going to be 2000 Bubba passes for sale this year. Denominations are $125 and $200. To purchase, call 212-228-3585 x25.

If you pay by AMEX, you get a $10 bonus for the $125 pass ($135) and a $25 bonus for the $200 pass ($225)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

For $128 less, you could buy a ticket into the Memphis in May world championship BBQ contest. And if you are good enough to do some smooth talking, you can get into a lot of tents and eat all the BBQ you want. Plus all the cold beer that you could possibly want,handed to you by the contestants. I got to try the number 3 hog (Jack's Diner, of Jack's firehouse grill in Philly) and the number 1 hog (Old School Smokers from Skullbone Tenesee) at this years championsip. Plus some of Chris Lilly's chicken and shoulder. Also some of his mother-in-laws homemade sugar cookies and her bundt cake! Try that in NY!

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

For $128 less, you could buy a ticket into the Memphis in May world championship BBQ contest.  And if you are good enough to do some smooth talking, you can get into a lot of tents and eat all the BBQ you want.  Plus all the cold beer that you could possibly want,handed to you by the contestants.  I got to try the number 3 hog (Jack's Diner, of Jack's firehouse grill in Philly) and the number 1 hog (Old School Smokers from Skullbone Tenesee) at this years championsip.  Plus some of Chris Lilly's chicken and shoulder.  Also some of his mother-in-laws homemade sugar cookies and her bundt cake!  Try that in NY!

Not to argue that it's not a great deal with some top notch BBQ, but a trip to Memphis would cost way more than $128!

For the price difference, i'll just have to settle for BBQ in NYC. :wacko:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

For some reason, can't get the website to load on my laptop. Does anyone know the list of participants this year?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Not to argue that it's not a great deal with some top notch BBQ, but a trip to Memphis would cost way more than $128!

For the price difference, i'll just have to settle for BBQ in NYC. :wacko:

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

Of course.  I was just trying to point out how rediculous the price is in NY.  If the market will bear it, its fine.

Well, it doesn't actually cost that much for BBQ, it just costs $125 or $200 if you want to get the fast pass. If you want to pay $7-$8 per order, you are welcome to, but then you have to wait on some ridiculous lines. They limit (supposedly, we'll see :wink: ) the number of fast passes that they sell. Basically it's just ordering some BBQ in advance so you don't have to wait on line as long.

Since I don't see myself eating $225 in BBQ food in 2 days, I'll bring a few friends along to help me to mange!

Yes, to be clear:

- There is no charge for admission to the event. You can go all weekend and listen to the music, attend many of the seminars, hang out, etc., for no money.

- Barbecue is $7 per plate, which includes meat and some sides (it's different at each pit). If you want to prepay for $125 worth of barbecue, beer, snacks and memorabilia, you can get the Bubba Pass and avoid the lines.

- It's a fundraiser. Proceeds go to support the Madison Square Park Conservancy.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Also, the Bubba Pass allows TWO people at a time to jump the lines, not just one. If you try each pit, each person getting a plate, that covers the $125.

The $125 worth of scrip allows you to buy ANYTHING at the event, not just food. T Shirts, BBQ Sauces (many of which you cannot buy anywhere near the NY area and certainly not over the web).

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Also, the Bubba Pass allows TWO people at a time to jump the lines, not just one. If you try each pit, each person getting a plate, that covers the $125.

Does this mean that one pass allows 2 people to stand online together? Are you allowed to bring some of the food to a 3rd person?

I was hoping to get just 1 fast pass that would allow a group of 3 (possibly 4) of us to eat together. I'm not 100% sure about the rules. Is it just one fast pass for 2 people in line, or do they limit it in some other way?

Judging from the Pitmasters page it looks like an interesting mix of barbecue styles will be represented from North Carolina, Missouri and of course, Texas. Being from Austin, there is no question in my mind that Central Texas barbecue is The One True Barbecue. As far as the Central Texas style goes, Southside Market is considered to be one of the best. Salt Lick also hails from Texas but they don't really cook in the Central Texas style.

It will be interesting to see what style New Yorkers like the best.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

Does this mean that one pass allows 2 people to stand online together? Are you allowed to bring some of the food to a 3rd person?

I was hoping to get just 1 fast pass that would allow a group of 3 (possibly 4) of us to eat together. I'm not 100% sure about the rules. Is it just one fast pass for 2 people in line, or do they limit it in some other way?

If you buy a pass, its money, period. Two people can jump the line with the pass. If after jumping the line and then going back onto the street, you then give the pass to two more people, and if there is money left on the pass, you can use it. You can also recharge the passes with more money.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Thanks Jason!

As we announced this morning, the first eG TV video foodcast -- a short documentary about the 2005 Big Apple Barbecue Block Party -- is now online.

The announcement is here.

We have a separate topic for discussion of the eG TV video foodcast here.

If you buy a pass, its money, period. Two people can jump the line with the pass. If after jumping the line and then going back onto the street, you then give the pass to two more people, and if there is money left on the pass, you can use it. You can also recharge the passes with more money.

Spooken like a true New Yorker, Jason! :biggrin:

I was hoping to get just 1 fast pass that would allow a group of 3 (possibly 4) of us to eat together.  I'm not 100% sure about the rules.  Is it just one fast pass for 2 people in line, or do they limit it in some other way?

Last year the way it worked was there was a separate area behind the booths for people with the fast pass. The "fast pass" was just a pre paid credit card that you use to actually pay for stuff. Each pass came with 2 wrist bands that allowed you to get into the back area (as well as a tent area for eating in the north end of the park). 2 people can go in to get food and bring it back out for the rest of your party but even with the pass you they wouldnt let you in unless you had a wrist band.

I didn't get any wristbands with the pass we got this year, for whatever that's worth...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I didn't get any wristbands with the pass we got this year, for whatever that's worth...

Neither did I. Are they distributed on-site to prevent counterfeiting?