• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan - where to live based on food nearby

gini

The food thing is really important to me, obviously. My parents are pushing Long Island HARD, but I didn't like growing up there, so I don't know that I'd like it now. Other people are saying Jersey, or Stamford, CT.

If the food thing is important, stay away from Stamford. That is precisely why I moved away from CT and to Manhattan.

Well, obviously the food scene is more compact and vibrant in Manhattan, but that doesn't mean Connecticut is a wasteland. For home cooks, it's a pretty decent spot.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

All of my college friends are in Brooklyn, so I'm certainly considering that, but with the kids and the dog, I'm wondering just how much is feasible within the city limits.[...]

Consider Park Slope. It's got a good and interesting food scene, it's gorgeous -- especially in the gaslight section, roughly between 8th Av. and the park -- and you, your kids, and your dog will love one of the greatest city parks in the US: Prospect Park. Your commute to downtown Manhattan will be easy by subway, and you won't need to own or park a car anywhere.

Michael aka "Pan"

[ But if you want great food within walking distance, the two most restaurant-packed neighborhoods that are also great places to live are the Upper East Side and Greenwich Village. Which one to choose is largely a matter of the "vibe" that you prefer. I would personally choose the UES, as it tends to be quieter and more refined.

Sorry but having lived on the UES for 6 years the food scene here obviously does not compare to downtown Manhattan. I am always eager to trek downtown in order to escape the multitudes of bad Italian and diner joints and frat bars and mediocre ethnic food. Even the UWS is better IMO. UES is pretty much a culinary wasteland aside from a handful of joints (would like to try Sushi of Gari...)

Foodwise alone I would live around Union Square or Chinatown.

Edited by jeanki (log)

Sorry but having lived on the UES for 6 years the food scene here obviously does not compare to downtown Manhattan. I am always eager to trek downtown in order to escape the multitudes of bad Italian and diner joints and frat bars and mediocre ethnic food. Even the UWS is better IMO. UES is pretty much a culinary wasteland aside from a handful of joints (would like to try Sushi of Gari...)

Foodwise alone I would live around Union Square or Chinatown.

I live on the UES and the thing I like best about it is the 4/5 train that takes me to 14th in about 12 minutes. :rolleyes:

-spaetzle