• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DOV Buffer Restaurants

ozver

Had a great dinner at Raincity Grill yesterday as part of their DOV Menu. Being that I am a part of the industry, and we are usually extremely busy during this time, I was wondering what other restaurants are doing DOV before and after the regular DOV dates. I found out that C Restaurant and Nu are extending theirs as well.

We're extending it by a week!

I was really lucky and got a little preview of some of the DOV items as part of a dinner we had with some Seattle visitors (who will be posting a more detailed report).

Let me tell you - the beet salad and braised lamb cheeks (I think that the cheeks are on the DOV menu - but I did not see them on the online menu) are goooooood. The lamb cheeks are just plain insane - soft, succulent, flavorful - the out and out definition of a good braise. Also got some of the apple upsidedown cake - oooh boy, warm and spicy - delicous. Perfect cool weather dessert.

Do yourself a favor and see if you can't snag one of the few remaining reso's and enjoy and incredibly imaginative DOV menu. It is Aurora's first time - so, be gentle... and leave a thank you note in the morning.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

My friend was at Nu tonight for dinner, and their DOV has started already!

Parkside is extending their DOV.

As a side note: Parkside will be closed for a several days after DOV re-opening on the 10th of February.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Let me tell you - the beet salad and braised lamb cheeks (I think that the cheeks are on the DOV menu - but I did not see them on the online menu) are goooooood.  The lamb cheeks are just plain insane - soft, succulent, flavorful - the out and out definition of a good braise.

Yeah I saw the DOV "media" folks getting the lamb cheeks when I was there last week, and like I said before, I hope they make it onto the regular menu. I had lamb cheeks at Rosemeade and they were friggin awesome. They will be this year's short ribs, mark my words.

The beet salad, also a stand-out, is on the regular menu though.

• 2 weeks later...

Lumiere is also extending their dineout, till when i'm not sure, but reservations are probably all booked as always.

Quattro on Fourth is also extending their dine out till the end of February (though week of Valentine's is excluded). they had a graet dineout menu... i posted the following review on www.tasteof604.com:

"I stepped into Quattro once a year or two ago for a friend's birthday. I didn't eat there, just had a quick glass of wine (or maybe it was 2...). Needless to say, I never went back. My girlfriends told me the meal was just average and very expensive. My experience was not memorable so I never went back.

On Monday night I ventured back into Quattro with minimal expectations for the Vancouver Dineout menu. My buddy picked the place and I was too tired to protest. To start, we began with the bocconcini wrapped with prosciutto (once again... i'm a huge fan of prosciutto), and crab and rock shrimp cake. Both were quite good, I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't taste much prosciutto on the mozzarella. The crab cakes had a touch of jalapeno peppers in them, which was a nice variation to such a generic dish.

Now... we get to the main courses, PHENOMENOL. Between the 4 of us, we ordered the Lamb Shank, the Veal medallions and the pasta. the veal medallions were AMAZING... two beautifully done, lean, rather thick cut tender medallions. The meat was so juicy and texture just cooked to perfection at medium. I couldn't get enough. Definitely not what I expected. Not your usual thin sliced, breaded veal. I've never had veal like this before. I liked it so much that i'm considering going back late february as they're extending their dineout menu till end of february. the lamb shank just fell of the bone, and even the pasta was great too... lightly coated with truffle oil. Not too heavy.

For dessert, we all ordered the philo pastry with whipped mascarpone cheese, cream and sour cherries. The philo pastry was fluffy, light and flavourful. And they were also quite creative. It was my girlfriend's birthday and since they couldn't stick a candle in the dessert, they melted the end and had it standing on the plate next to the dessert. That was a nice touch. After all, it's the small things that always get me.

Service was stellar. Our server Karen took great care to explain the dishes to us and just be overall nice and friendly. She told us that all the dishes offered on the dineout are their signature dishes, which, if true, is wonderful. Dineout menus are usually cheap renditions or just lower grade menus due to the high volume needed. Not so for Quattro, top quality, great service and everything done fresh. This is a must-try for dineout and even regular dining... i'd pay full price for that quality of food and service.

This is the best dineout meal i've had in my 3 year history of vancouver dineout (including this year)"

Edited by angeleyes8680 (log)
Let's talk about Food @ www.tasteof604.com!