• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle area Indian food

Our favorite is Taste of India on Roosevelt in the U. District.

I quite like Bengal Tiger which is just north of there on Roosevelt and 65th but I'll definately give Taste of India a try and compare.

Please let us know what you think. We were unimpressed (by Taste of India) and wishing for better Indian. So far our best is Masala, by Northgate. Don't even think of Sahib, in Edmonds, as their service is the worst. We live in Edmonds, and our last 4 experiences have been terrible.

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Our favorite is Taste of India on Roosevelt in the U. District.

I quite like Bengal Tiger which is just north of there on Roosevelt and 65th but I'll definately give Taste of India a try and compare.

Please let us know what you think. We were unimpressed (by Taste of India) and wishing for better Indian. So far our best is Masala, by Northgate. Don't even think of Sahib, in Edmonds, as their service is the worst. We live in Edmonds, and our last 4 experiences have been terrible.

I've had good meals at Bengal Tiger. It's fairly close to home so we get take-out from them from time to time. Really good rack of lamb tandoori. I've also had the lunch buffet at Masala and enjoyed it.

I am not a fan of Taste of India--one time we tried it, several years ago, we found the food kind of bland and underspiced. Maybe in all fairness, I should try it again, since many others seem to like it.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I like India Bistro in Ballard. However, I have heard that the Kabaob House in Greenwood on Greenwood Ave N is supposed to be one of the best and most authentic Indian restaurants in Seattle even though it is Pakistani. I have been wanting to try it for almost a year. Has anyone been there?

I like India Bistro in Ballard.  However, I have heard that the Kabaob House in Greenwood on Greenwood Ave N is supposed to be one of the best and most authentic Indian restaurants in Seattle even though it is Pakistani. I have been wanting to try it for almost a year. Has anyone been there?

I've been to Kabab House several times, and now that you have mentioned it, I will probably find an excuse to go this week!

I would be interested to see what people other people think of it. They just moved about 1 block north, to a larger location. I really enjoy the food - the tikka masala in particular. I am incapable of leaving any of it on the table. The restaurant feels very family run - meaning that sometimes there are small children (of the staff, presumably) playing quietly at a corner table. The service is not very formal - but I have never been left wanting for anything. Definitely worth trying, in my opinion - though perhaps with an open mind.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Kabab House: My husband loves it-we live just a bit south so we've gotten lots of take out. He has Indian co-workers that drive from all over the Seattle area to go there. I've never been blown away, but you should probably also know that while I do like Indian food, it's not my favorite cuisine or the one I'm most knowledgable about. I find the kababs dry and fairly plain (they do give you sauces, which I like but don't love), and the naan is kind of blah. I agree the tikka masala mention by Crouching Tyler is good. I like India Bistro better in general-they have a much bigger menu and I like the flavors better there.

Neither of us like their new restaurant space at all, though we still get take out sometimes (or he does-if I want grilled meat and rice I'd rather have Mr. Gyros, across the street). There's no music, nothing on the walls, and no beer or wine to keep you occupied while you wait a very long time for your food (tip: if you order take out give them at least 1/2 hour). Service is not friendly, either (never has been).

Edited by kiliki (log)

Went to the Kabab House a few weeks ago for take out.

I can usually forgive the aformentioned lack of atmosphere in ethnic restaurants because the food is usually worth staying for, and nearly every delicious restaurant in the I. D. is my example. I was a little dismayed at the lack of cleanliness in the dining room, the woman who took my order and then completely ignored me to hand-feed her toddler directly in front of where I was waiting (the kid eventually toddled over and got sauce on my shoes), nothing offered to drink while I waited and the tables who came in after me that were served full meals during my 40 minute wait. I was glad I brought a book.

I was very hungry when I finally got home and was terribly disappointed in the food. I was prepared to be a little forgiving as the food had sat in styrofoam for fifteen minutes, but that really doesn't explain the blandness of the samosa and the tikka masala, the weird metallic taste of the naan, and the inedibly salty and dry lamb kabab. And the whole thing was expensive.

I've had much better experiences at Masala, Bengal Tiger, Taste of India and even Cedar's. In general I've seen these places busy, with professional staff, music playing, great smells and very good food. Try these instead.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

good solid food - totally cheap. we will return.

thanks for the tip tighe!

Reese, so glad you liked NnC. If they have the lamb chops on the specials board next time you go, give'em a whirl. They cook them in the tandoor and they're super tasty and an amazing value.

It's true, the ctm there is absolutely fantastic.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 8 months later...

Speaking of Indian food...BUMPING to ask ...Does anyone know how Pabla's in Renton did with that horrible fire? I did not see they were affected it looked like it was more down by the parrot store? the news was vague ...I am worried about them ..when I travel north I love to stop there for 12 samosas a tub of mint chutney..and a good dose of the brothers arguing

I hope they are ok????

I just love that place

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 8 months later...

After some raves from a friend I went to try out Preets this evening. We were underwhelmed.

The Papri Chat was nice and the sauce on the Malai Kofta was good, (though the koftas were almost hard!) but the breads were deadly dull and most of the curries though plenty hot were not very well flavored (and extremely soupy)

I had the thali plate which includes a gulab jamun for dessert and they brought that out on the plate with all the curries, so by the time I got to eat it it was tepid :angry: also my plate was black pottery with several large chips out of it - tacky & arguably unsanitary as well...

Service was better than in most Indian restaurants, but that's not enough to make up for mediocre food...

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...