• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle area Indian food

Roti - Lower Queen Anne.

Delicious food, beautiful presentation. Originally recommended to me by some guys I know who are actually from India. My favorite.

Taste of India - Roosevelt/U-District

This place is always packed, but it's worth waiting for a table. Casual, with great service, delicious food, unlimited refills on chai.

Peets in Redmond is fabulous for fresh vegetarian.

I also like Royal India in Kirkland and the Mango Chicken at the Tandori Fire in Bothell is terrific

Savoy in Redmond has the best buffet.

While I agree the Savoy used to have the best buffet, when I was there a few weeks ago they'd moved everything around & shrunk the buffet, and the quality was not what it had been...

Tandoori Kitchen hidden away in Kirkland/Redmond is also good & unusual.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Peets in Redmond is fabulous for fresh vegetarian.

I also like Royal India in Kirkland and the Mango Chicken at the Tandori Fire in Bothell is terrific

Savoy in Redmond has the best buffet.

While I agree the Savoy used to have the best buffet, when I was there a few weeks ago they'd moved everything around & shrunk the buffet, and the quality was not what it had been...

Tandoori Kitchen hidden away in Kirkland/Redmond is also good & unusual.

That's too bad about the Savoy. I haven't been there in a while. I'm generally not a big fan of buffets but remembered theirs was really good.

Have you tried Peets? It's very homestyle food. Fresh and a little different from the usual choices at most resturants.

Kanishka in Redmond has an excellent buffet. One of the best in town. Unfortunately, someone drove his car through the place a few days ago, so I don't know how long it will take to put the place back together again. Bill Gates and other Squishies are reputed to dine there occasionally.

Miulang

I'm still searching for a favorite restaurant... anyone have one to share?

India Bistro in Ballard

Seconded on India Bistro. Even after being away from Seattle for 3-1/2 years, I still remember that place with great fondness. The only drawback was the tiny dining room--you had to either get there right when they opened or be prepared to wait for a table. Maybe they've had a chance to expand the place since then ... even if they haven't, though, I think it's well worth the wait to get in.

• 2 weeks later...

Pabla (2nd & pike?) is good for the lunch buffet. As an added benefit they have a punch card :) Last visit they had put a little too much cardamom in the chicken, but it was still good. Have never had the opportunity to try them for dinner.

Masala near Northgate has to be my favorite though - consistantly good food and service. Portions are getting a little smaller, but still enough to satisfy. Second favorite would be Tandoor in the U. District. Butter chicken at either place is excellent.

I'm still looking for a really good biriyani - When I lived in NYC there was a restaurant off 13th (Purborag) that had the absolute best biriyani. My co-workers would make me do a biriyani run every friday ;) And yes, I *can* make it at home, I just don't find I have the 4 hours available often :)

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Naan-n-Curry in Renton for the first time last night and liked it. Indian/Pakistani food is a gaping hole in my culinary experience, so I can't say how it rates compared to other places. Apparently this is an off-shoot of a small Bay Area chain that has a good reputation.

We had pakora, seekh kebab, chicken tikka, karahi chicken, vegetable biryani and garlic naan. The karahi chicken was excellent, as was the seekh kebab. Then only dish that I wouldn't have again was the biryani, just not very interesting.

It's a halal restaurant, so no beer or wine.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...
While I agree the Savoy used to have the best buffet, when I was there a few weeks ago  they'd moved everything around & shrunk the buffet, and the quality was not what it had been...

That's too bad about the Savoy. I haven't been there in a while. I'm generally not a big fan of buffets but remembered theirs was really good.

Just a quick note that Savoy has changed their name and is now called Abiruchi.

We had another good meal at Tandoori Kitchen last night. No wussy spice levels there!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Kanishka in Redmond has an excellent buffet. One of the best in town. Unfortunately, someone drove his car through the place a few days ago, so I don't know how long it will take to put the place back together again. Bill Gates and other Squishies are reputed to dine there occasionally.

Miulang

They have reopened. It's rare that I'm on the eastside on weekend evenings since I get enough of it commuting to work during the week. :smile: But last night we happened to be in the area and met some friends there for dinner -- they have the one window boarded up, but otherwise all is as before.

I think Kanishka is one of the best in the area. The lunch buffet is superb as lunch buffets go, and for dinner it is even better.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm still searching for a favorite restaurant... anyone have one to share?

India Bistro in Ballard

Seconded on India Bistro. Even after being away from Seattle for 3-1/2 years, I still remember that place with great fondness. The only drawback was the tiny dining room--you had to either get there right when they opened or be prepared to wait for a table. Maybe they've had a chance to expand the place since then ... even if they haven't, though, I think it's well worth the wait to get in.

Thirded on India Bistro.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

In the North End, Cinnamon's in Lynnwood is pretty good. But for Middle Eastern/Pakistani food, we really like Usmania's in Mill Creek. It is owned and operated by the chef who used to run Marco Polo. It is also a halal restaurant, so no alcohol is available.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

• 3 weeks later...

A group of us enjoyed a terrific dinner at Roti on Queen Anne the other night. Being from that neighborhood I'm embarassed I hadn't been before. The butter chicken was terrific and the Saag Paneer perfectly spiced. They had the biggest Samosa I have ever seen - the meat filled one was great.

• 7 months later...
I tried Naan-n-Curry in Renton for the first time last night and liked it.  Indian/Pakistani food is a gaping hole in my culinary experience, so I can't say how it rates compared to other places.  Apparently this is an off-shoot of a small Bay Area chain that has a good reputation.

We had pakora, seekh kebab, chicken tikka, karahi chicken, vegetable biryani and garlic naan.  The karahi chicken was excellent, as was the seekh kebab.  Then only dish that I wouldn't have again was the biryani, just not very interesting.

It's a halal restaurant, so no beer or wine.

we went tonight. they are now serving beer, and i got the sense that perhaps the original owner took on a partner...

we had chicken tikka masala (i know, i know, but ctm is freaking good) and the ctm at naan n curry was exceptional. also loved the naan and the (lamb) seekh kebab. we had the prawn vindaloo (grew on us - barely cooked prawns were great but it lacked a little depth) the owner proudly told us they use no premade pastes. the place was a little odd - mostly the service, but the music was loud and there was a bollywood video on the tv so it was easy to get distracted.

good solid food - totally cheap. we will return.

thanks for the tip tighe!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train