• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kind of Mozzarella?

thereuare

I've been buying dough from a local pizzeria and make my own chicken rolls (the type they make in the pizzeria).

The problem i have is that the cheese is too 'goo-ey' always leaks everywhere.

I have tried the shredded cheeses from Sargento, Kraft, Sorrento, etc as well as the 1lb. 'bricks' from Poly-O, Sorrento, etc. (the bricks are worse then teh pre-shredded)

Is there a special "pizza cheese" to use that holds up a little better when melted and doesn't liquify as much? If so, where do i get it?

I've tried a free shredded cheeses that say "pizza cheese" on the package, but not sure if this is just marketing or if the cheese is made by a different process. When i do use this cheese labeled 'pizza' on the package, the results seem a little better, but not perfect. As well, much of this type that is easily accessible to me is a combo of mozzarella and cheddar... and cheddar doesn't belong on pizza (or in chicken rolls) in my book.

Any advice or insight from those in the know.

Thanks!

I've been buying dough from a local pizzeria and make my own chicken rolls (the type they make in the pizzeria).

The problem i have is that the cheese is too 'goo-ey' always leaks everywhere.

I have tried the shredded cheeses from Sargento, Kraft, Sorrento, etc as well as the 1lb. 'bricks' from Poly-O, Sorrento, etc. (the bricks are worse then teh pre-shredded)

Is there a special "pizza cheese" to use that holds up a little better when melted and doesn't liquify as much?  If so, where do i get it?

I've tried a free shredded cheeses that say "pizza cheese" on the package, but not sure if this is just marketing or if the cheese is made by a different process.  When i do use this cheese labeled 'pizza' on the package, the results seem a little better, but not perfect.  As well, much of this type that is easily accessible to me is a combo of mozzarella and cheddar... and cheddar doesn't belong on pizza (or in chicken rolls) in my book.

Any advice or insight from those in the know.

Thanks!

I know a place in NJ .. where are you? Would this be a useful suggestion?

I think a lot of pizzerias use a low moisture mozzarella. Not sure where you could buy it in a grocery, you might want to ask the pizzeria for advice. Shredded works better than the blocks because it is a bit drier in order to keep it from clumping in the package. Supermarket pizza cheese usually refers to a blend of mozzarella and provolone, sometimes with other flavorings.

Thanks for the info so far...

I'm in northern NJ and would be willing to travel a bit for the right cheese (or i can coordinate with other travels around the state)

I have tried all combinations of part skin, whole milk, low moisture, etc... some with better results than others, but still not right.

The hotter oven could play a factor, but i'm not sure (i'm not that much of a cook... just dabble a bit). However, the cheese itself just 'tastes' different than the cheese you would get on top of your pizza. As i posted above, i think that the pizzerias probably use a cheese that undergoes some type of different process during the manufacturing process which makes it a little less 'liquidy'. I would head to a pizza supply distributor, but i don't have too much use for the size they are likely to sell.

Thanks for the info so far...

I'm in northern NJ and would be willing to travel a bit for the right cheese (or i can coordinate with other travels around the state)

I have tried all combinations of part skin, whole milk, low moisture, etc... some with better results than others, but still not right.

The hotter oven could play a factor, but i'm not sure (i'm not that much of a cook... just dabble a bit).  However, the cheese itself just 'tastes' different than the cheese you would get on top of your pizza.  As i posted above, i think that the pizzerias probably use a cheese that undergoes some type of different process during the manufacturing process which makes it a little less 'liquidy'.  I would head to a pizza supply distributor, but i don't have too much use for the size they are likely to sell.

You are lucky to be nearby...the best I know is Lioni Latticini, 555 Lehigh Ave, Union,NJ (not far from exit 138 Pkwy). Also have a dried -gourd shaped- Mozzarella. Enjoy!!