• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland area Indian Grocer?

Hello---

I'm looking for a good source to get some Indian cooking ingredients around Portland. I pulled some names up on a google search but since I'll be driving a ways to Portland to get the items, I won't have the time to check out all the grocers that came up on the search. Does anyone have an Indian Grocer to recommend? I am looking for such items as fresh curry leaves, good quality ghee and some various spices. Thanks for your help!

Uwajimaya on Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy has lots of the stuff you'll need. There is a small Indian food store a couple blocks east on the other side of the road (I think it's back behind "Curves") that has lots of the spices if Uwajimaya doesn't have them.

I keep my leftover curry leaves and kafir lime leaves in the freezer if I want to make something quick, just have to add more to make up for a bit of loss of flavor.

I like Apna Bazaar the best of all of the dedicated South Asian grocery stores. It's a little tricky to find because it's in one of those industrial type complexes, but worth getting too.

Uwajimaya is, of course, the easiest option.

regards,

trillium

Thanks for the info! I go to Uwajimaya when I'm in Portland but didn't think about it for Indian supplies.

Also, when I did a little yellowpages search for Indian grocers around the Portland area I came up with some interesting sounding ones----have any of you been to any of these:

~ Jhanker Indian Groceries on N. Interstate

~World Foods on Barbur Blvd

~Indian Groceries & Spices on TV Hwy

All the Indian groceries I've been to in Portland carry curry leaves, ghee and spices. If that's what you're looking for, don't worry and just use the phone book. If you want something specific, Apna Bazaar seems to have the most diverse selection. Are you looking for something specific?

• 5 months later...

It's Apna Bazaar

Apna Bazaar Inc

1815 NW 169th Pl # 6000

Beaverton, OR 97006

(503) 533-0424

It's in an industrial complex area and looks nothing like a grocery store from the outside. Be bold and fearless in your search and you'll find it.

regards,

trillium

• 4 weeks later...
It's Apna Bazaar

Apna Bazaar Inc

1815 NW 169th Pl # 6000

Beaverton, OR 97006

(503) 533-0424

It's in an industrial complex area and looks nothing like a grocery store from the outside.  Be bold and fearless in your search and you'll find it.

regards,

trillium

Went searching for these places today. If you go note that the entrace to Apna is on 173rd (no, really, it is in the complex that fronts on 169th but if you go along 173rd you'll see it) and the India Direct, with a Bethany address, is really on Cornell (very confusing/same problem). Took a while to find them but they are both out there -- the front doors do not jibe with the actual addresses.

Apna is really hard to actually find, isn't it? And the front of the store looks nothing like a grocery of any sort at all - you really have to know what to look for.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne