• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seldom Blues Detroit Free Press Restaurant of Year

Expat Russ

Seldom Blues named Detroit Free Press Restuarant of Year

So what do you think...I've not been to this restaurant yet, but have been meaning to if for nothing other than the views of the river and Canada and for live Jazz (not a big A.Zoljnic fan however)...

Last year it was Five Lakes Grill and the year before Jeremy's...

Also see below a companion piece about other "hot" restaurants in the D...

Other Detroit suggestions from Free Press writer Sylvia Rector

Expat Russ

Three Passions:

Food

Travel<=click to go to my travel website...

BBQ and BQ<=click to go to my blog about trying to balance great food and qualifying for the Boston Marathon

ExpatRuss.

Haven't been - but hope to be visiting Jeremy soon... have you been?

Five Lakes Grill was a big dissappointment for me.

U.E.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

My wife and I have been to Jeremy twice in the recent past and they were two of the most enjoyable dining experiences we've had in the area. The menus were quite different the two times we went, so that is worth keeping track of for planned vists and re-visits. The second time we went, there were a number of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern touches which were not there the first time.

Unfortunately this award has become "the best restaurant in Detroit that has never won it before". However, if it will help elevate the culinary scene in the area then I am all for it.

I don’t really enjoy the food at Seldom Blues; the feel of the place is great. I enjoy my time at Five Lakes and I find Jeremy's very mediocre.

I've been to Seldom Blues once - for my department's "holiday" lunch in May. I did enjoy it, and would go back, but I don't think I'd name it the best in Detroit. I'll have to try it for dinner sometime though.

I definitely agreed with last year's pick of Five Lakes Grill - that is one of my all time favorite restuarants. And Small Plates (from the "hot restaurant" list) is another fave - especially when I go with a group on a business lunch and we order a ton of stuff and share in the true spirit of the place.

Giovanni's (from the "always Detroit" list) is our favorite romantic special night out restaurant in Detroit. The service is top-notch and the food and wine selections are excellent. Plus we feel like big adventurers going there...

Edited by annarborfoodie (log)

Wow, if this isn't a mix-review bunch! :laugh:

1. Re: Five Lakes Grill

Maybe we just had an off night at F.L.G.? As I remember, the food came out (all five courses - yes, multiple courses), unexcusably cold. As well, our party found the food rather uninteresting - especially the dessert and salad. Oh, and the starter - a "sampling" of different smoked fishes and other seafood was laughable... at best... and this was agreed on by all six attendees (whom i spoke with individually after the meal)... It was terribly busy, and it was pretty apparent that the kitchen was "in the weeds." :sad:

2. Re: Jeremy

Jamie Valvo: care to elaborate/comment on "mediocre?" I'm curious - feel free to shoot me a p.m. Your comment's really bummin' me out - 'cause I (was) really looking forward to an upcoming visit... :unsure:

Anyone out there wanna re-assure me?

3. Re: Seldom Blues

I will say that S. Rector's online "video voice-over" is quite snazzy and makes the place look like a dream - but it seems a little loud - more of a drinks scene than a good food scene... I suppose both elements contribute to the overall "restaurant" aspect of the "Freep's" award...

4. Re: Others

Hmmmm... Small Plates and Atlas, huh? I'm always looking at places in Detroit metro to keep me fed during my stints in this town. More suggestions/comments please! :biggrin:

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

From our experiences, Atlas is good for dinner, bad for lunch. The service is absolutely atrocious at lunch - two hours total on a weekday. In the evenings, it is much better. I grew up across the street from co-owner Mark Woodford - he was a punk ('80s mohawk style) who drove his librarian parents crazy... it's hard to believe he grew up to have a successful business, but he did. I haven't been since the change in chefs though.

From our experiences, Atlas is good for dinner, bad for lunch.  The service is absolutely atrocious at lunch - two hours total on a weekday.  In the evenings, it is much better.  I grew up across the street from co-owner Mark Woodford - he was a punk ('80s mohawk style) who drove his librarian parents crazy... it's hard to believe he grew up to have a successful business, but he did.  I haven't been since the change in chefs though.

We ate at Atlas a few months ago, and I strongly disliked it. We even had an "in" - one of the guys we were with is good friends with the chef. I got the vegetarian Asian noodle dish and it was overcooked with the flavor of a frozen Lean Cuisine.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 2 weeks later...

Not since <i>Tribute</i> has the award ever been given to the best restaurant. It really seems that with all the other award winners that they are just trying to promote other places that no one has heard of. You haven't seen <i>The Hill</i> make their top 10 list after it won. Hour did the same thing when they gave it to <i>Boco</i> last year. Myself along with my friends agree that it is a good place, but not the best in the area.

I would really rather have them award the best restaurant and then give a big profile of the best new restaurant or whatever they choose. Because there is really no need to keep writing about the same restaurant every year.

This year I think there is no doubt that they are trying to promote places for people to go to during this Super Bowl week. I was actually kind of surprised that they didn't name a bunch of other Detroit spots.

But really it's a big statement of the restaurant scene in Detroit that every winner since <i>Tribute</i> does not seem to be anywhere near deserving. Are there no talented/innovated chef’s? Is the public satisfied with the "OK" places to go to?

I'll admit that I love going to my "Comfort Food" spots, but the choices for "true" fine dining are so limited.

But really it's a big statement of the restaurant scene in Detroit that every winner since <i>Tribute</i> does not seem to be anywhere near deserving. Are there no talented/innovated chef’s? Is the public satisfied with the "OK" places to go to?

I'll admit that I love going to my "Comfort Food" spots, but the choices for "true" fine dining are so limited.

If this is true, then there's little to live for... :sad: As well, would nay-sayers of the "Freep's" annual picks want to see the same restaurant, say Tribute, named the best every year? That would be boring...

Perhaps it's better to just call the award, "The Best Uncovered Restaurant of the Year..." Just a thought...

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I heard a rumor that Seldom Blues was in receivership..........

I used to frequent Sweet Georgia Brown (same style as SB) but they went downhill big time, I'll never go back.

As for great restaurants in the the downtown core you cannot beat Jimmy Schmidt and the Rattlesnake Club. I am there a few times a month and the service and food are always stellar.

I (against my better judgement) went to the Rattlesnake on New Years Eve this year. I wasn't expecting much since days like this (New Years Eve and Valentine's Day) always result in poor service, food and inflated prices. To my surprise the service was fantastic, the food even better and the prices were the same as any other day.

I enjoy Tribute too but find their prices a bit high. The Snake is a much better value IMO.

Joe

:blink:

As for great restaurants in the the downtown core you cannot beat Jimmy Schmidt and the Rattlesnake Club. I am there a few times a month and the service and food are always stellar.

would love to hear more about the "snake" - i've never been and am skeptical... any egulleters have any input?

[edited to add]: does anyone know what's up with their website. i've not been able to access it.

[edited again to add]: nevermind my previous edit - it works.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

joe, anyone out there? care to elaborate on, confirm or deny this rumor?

ulterior epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

joe, anyone out there? care to elaborate on, confirm or deny this rumor?

ulterior epicure.

All I heard was that it was a rumor. I have dinner plans with some friends in the business this Saturday. I'll ask them and see if they know anything and post back

If one place is the best according to the critics then it should be given the award. It may be boring to some people, but if it is the truth then it should be told.

Most readers/internet polls have the same winner every year. You could say that is boring.

I agree that no one really wants to read about Tribute every year and how we are still the best in town. That doesn't sell newspapers. Don't get me wrong I would love the publicity.

Nothing wrong with bringing attention to restaurants who are in need of it. As I mentioned eariler in this post; if it raises the culinary scene then that is good. Maybe a tweak with the title of the award could be in order.

I also understand the need to select a place that was downtown and owned by a former Lion right before the Super Bowl. That makes perfect sense.

I think that Tribute is fairly well known for being the best in town and no award given or withheld will change that.

James Valvo

Chef de Cuisine

Tribute

Just as long as no says it is The Lark - I am happy.... That must be the rudest place.... with pretty average food. Cannot figure how it gets the awards it does.

I have dined at many of the worlds "temples of haut cusine" and the best ones always treat the customer as king not demanding the other wayt around...

...ok off my soap box now....

FWIW - I will be trying Seldom Blues this weekend and will give you my report....

I couldn't agree more about the Lark. What a joke that place is. I'll never go back.

I innocently forgot to sign my CC receipt and the owner (some old codger) confronts me in the middle of the dining room and shouts "you didn't sign your credit card receipt!" It's called discretion you old b@stard and you could have at least waited to confront me in the lobby. The food wasn't that great anyway......average at best.

Last weeks dinner plans got moved to this Saturday so I'll report then.

One time he actually belted out loud, to basically the entire dining roon, that "these people will never get a reservation at my restaruant again."

I guess "these" people were late or something.... frankly I could have cared less - why be such an ass...

FWIW - I will be trying Seldom Blues this weekend and will give you my report....

we await your report!! :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I also understand the need to select a place that was downtown and owned by a former Lion right before the Super Bowl.  That makes perfect sense.

chef valvo.

i respect what you guys do at tribute. however, unless you can substantiate your remark, i think this is rather a low-blow, and not in the "spirit of egullet..." it may simply have been a coincidence.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I also understand the need to select a place that was downtown and owned by a former Lion right before the Super Bowl.  That makes perfect sense.

chef valvo.

i respect what you guys do at tribute. however, unless you can substantiate your remark, i think this is rather a low-blow, and not in the "spirit of egullet..." it may simply have been a coincidence.

u.e.

Actually, u.e., I don't think this was a low blow at all, although further discussion of this issue probably belongs in another thread. It's clear, at least to me, that Chef Valvo's remark was just a speculation. However, given that he's probably more in touch with current Detroit-area restaurant politics than you and I combined, it's probably not just an idle one (although he's the one who'll need to comment further on that). As a writer of restaurant reviews in Detroit in the 1980s (admittedly for an alternative weekly), I can assure you that awards are not always apolitical.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

i concede that perhaps i was being a little rash. i guess i "took it the wrong way" and read cynicism into his [chef valvo's] remark, when in fact, it may have been merely an observation. even so, i, for one, would not make such a comment (or avoid doing so) unless i have some substantial evidence that i'd be willing to share in the same forum that i make the comment in.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account