• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Noodle Soups--Cook-Off 18

Chris Amirault

• 1 year later...

I made Bun Vit ( Vietmamese Duck Noodle Soup) the other day that was sublime.

The recipe was from a (Vietnamese) colleague's mom and it rocked.

Simple and to the point. The stock was nothing more than a duck, ginger, onion, nuc mam a little sugar.

Nice ginger nuc mam dipping sauce for the meat.

Sublime.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

• 1 year later...

I made beef noodle soup the other day. It's a recipe that I've been continuously playing around with. It has beef shank & bones, five spice, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and both light and dark soy sauces.

gallery_39443_6375_1626.jpg

I used some noodles I found at my local Chinese grocery market (Ranch 99). They were "Taiwanese Noodles". I can't read the first character, but I think it is Yang Chun Mian. They are semi chewy, made from all purpose flour, not the semolina which gives that good al dente bite. But I enjoy that kind of texture a lot when it comes to asian style noodle soups.

med_gallery_39443_6375_191861.jpg

• 2 years later...

A more recent eGullet discussion prompted me to dig up this fossil. The intent was to make pho but I wasn't going to tie myself to any particular set of rules.

I made a broth using beef short ribs, beef shin and pork 'soup bones'. I wanted to add some oxtail to the mix but the butcher was all out. The broth was seasoned with the obligatory blackened onions and ginger, as well as star anise, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, cloves and cinnamon.Once the meat was tender I removed the bones and strained out the aromatics. Vegetablewise, I went with spring onions, bok choy, choy sum, bean shoots, carrots and chillies--all added right at the very end (the greens before everything else, as I wanted them to wilt). Noodles took the form of rice vermicelli.

It was okay. I really should've added some raw/rare meat at the end. If I could get them, I'd want neck bones instead of random 'soup bones'. The pork is very much something I want in there, tho'.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between