• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Noodle Soups--Cook-Off 18

Chris Amirault

Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.

For our eighteenth Cook-Off, we're making Asian noodle soups. We're talking about Vietnamese pho, bun bo hue, and hu tieu, Chinese niu rou mian, Phillipino mami, Japanese tonkotsu and miso ramen, Korean kuksu... and dozens more. If it's Asian soup and it has noodles in it, then you've got a Cook-Off dish!

If you ask me, it's taken a bit too long for the Cook-Off to get here, given that there's a movie devoted to the subject (Tampopo), that the dish of pho is likely one of the big eGullet go-to foods (see, for example, the adopted comfort foods thread, where pho makes regular appearances), and that a noodle soup, well prepared, is a thing of beauty, care, and warmth. (Of course, if you're like me, you've also had a lot of noodle soups, poorly prepared -- but gussying up your Sapporo Ichiban is a subject for this thread, and not our Cook-Off, deal? :wink:)

When preparing Asian noodle soups, there are three distinct and crucial components: the stock or broth; the noodles themselves; the accompaniments or other ingredients. I'm hoping we can share strategies and tips for the first and the last here -- but if there are any noodle makers out there, please do chime in, as we all would find that art fascinating.

No surprise that other Society members have paved the way for our efforts here. There are threads devoted to Ramen and to Tonkotsu Ramen broth, ruminations about pho, Chinese beef noodle soup (Niu Rou Mian), and guppymo's Vietnamese cooking, which starts off with Bun Bo Hue. Those approaching stock making with trepidation will find calmer nerves after perusing the eGCI stock course -- and Ah Leung (hzrt8w)'s directions for soup bone stock here are very useful for a Cantonese method.

Time to find some big bones and meat, some lemon grass and ginger, some rice or wheat noodles, and get cooking!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Perhaps he's referring to those Ramen noodles in a styrofoam cup where you just add hot water and a flavor packet and you've got instant asian noodle soup. :wink:

:laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That's what I thought -- and I anticipated that idea above:

(Of course, if you're like me, you've also had a lot of noodle soups, poorly prepared -- but gussying up your Sapporo Ichiban is a subject for this thread, and not our Cook-Off, deal? :wink:)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Well, I'm in on this one! These cook-offs were one of the first things that really fired me up, when I discovered egullet, and I'm always kicking myself for not taking part more often. I'd love doing Tampopo's ramen -- but unlike Bend It Like Beckham, the DVD doesn't have a special feature with a little cooking show... I've never done Asian noodles before.

How about some good recipes, please? I was planning on a Tom Yum soup this Sunday, but I'd much rather make it a noodle soup. And oh yeah -- what's the difference between Asian noodle soups, and Asian non-noodle soups (like Tom Yum)?

Well, I'm in on this one! These cook-offs were one of the first things that really fired me up, when I discovered egullet, and I'm always kicking myself for not taking part more often. I'd love doing Tampopo's ramen -- but unlike Bend It Like Beckham, the DVD doesn't have a special feature with a little cooking show... I've never done Asian noodles before.

How about some good recipes, please? I was planning on a Tom Yum soup this Sunday, but I'd much rather make it a noodle soup. And oh yeah -- what's the difference between Asian noodle soups, and Asian non-noodle soups (like Tom Yum)?

You can make Tom Yum soup with noodles. Its a variation found pretty frequently in Bangkok, actually.

Tom Yum with Noodles

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/10a15a/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yeah, sure. I'm in.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hmm...is there a time frame on this thing? Sounds like fun, and I'd love to give this a try, but need time to think about what to make.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I made my own pho late last year. Here's the meez for the stock. There's oxtails, peppercorns, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, blackened onions and ginger. I then added salt and fish sauce afterwards (not pictured).

phomeez.jpg

Here's the final product.

ttepho.jpg

Do dumpling soups count as noodle soups? I made a chicken based broth for a won ton soup over the weekend.

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

A couple of days ago I made the Sichuan Hot Pot according to Land of Plenty.. I added, pork, beef, mushrooms, eggplant, bok choy and these japanese angel hair noodles.. It was very spicey.. I loved it.

gallery_15057_2395_10607.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Hmm...is there a time frame on this thing? 

Nope, Ictd. We're 24/7/365.25!

I made my own pho late last year. Here's the meez for the stock. There's oxtails, peppercorns, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, blackened onions and ginger. I then added salt and fish sauce afterwards (not pictured).

Ellen, that looks amazing. You must, must, must put the recipe into RecipeGullet for us. Please oh please! I'll even let you call dumplings noodles! :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Ooooh I was gonna make Pho too....but ellencho beat me to it. :angry: just kidding :laugh: I will still make it this weekend and I will include my step by step photo thingy hehe I'll try to make it look as good as hz8rt's photos.

I only use soup bones without meat on mine, coz it produces a clear broth than the ones made with bones with meat on it. but all the other ingredients are the same...charred onion and ginger, cinnamon, star anise, and cloves, and boiled for hours. :biggrin:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.