• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you could start your own rum label

Bill Poster

I think I may be a snob, but my flag product would be premium quality sipping rum, molasses based and aged for at least 15 years if not more, presented in a tasteful bottle, with the air of eras past.

If you want it ... we have it! rum labels differ very very much it all depends on the market you are selling on. A Japaneese label is totally different from an American or a Latin orientated label, or a Dutch label. the choice is yours.

Ed

I would make an artisanal domestic Rhum Agricole, on a Louisiana sugar plantation. Using copper stills. For total rum geeks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Since I enjoy a variety of different rums, I'd want a selection of rums. Certainly a white rum in the style of the French islands, an aged spiced rum along the lines of Foursquare Spiced rum - without added sugar cane syrup, and a couple of aged rums.

The bottom line is that there's no rum that I'd like to drink to the exclusion of all others and if I had my own rum, I'd be partial to it.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I wouldn't mind a spiced rum as long as it is a vast improvment over Captain Morgan.

I would probably have a line of 5 rums, all done in a copper pot still instead of a column still. For 2 of the rums, I would age one 12 years and the other 18-30 years. For the other 3, I would have a fresh-cane-juice-based light rum and dark rum and a molasses-based medium or dark rum. I wouldn't do flavored rums as they have enough out there already, and I'm very satisfied with Cruzan and Mount Gay flavors.

My range would be

classic white (molasses?) rum triple distilled with a touch of spice possibly(for aroma)

Same as above but blended with a 5 yr aged rum(20%)

A premium quality Bois bande spiced rum(not dark)

An aged 'reserve' rum, not sure what style.

Bill, there are a lot more rums than you think available here in the UK. Maybe not with big distributors but there are plenty of businesses importing. you have my e-mail so feel free to drop me a line

Bill, there are a lot more rums than you think available here in the UK. Maybe not with big distributors but there are plenty of businesses importing. you have my e-mail so feel free to drop me a line

I'm maintaining a list of the best places to buy rum in the UK on my site. Please contact me if you have any additions, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey elixirofthetropics...I was at a party last year and there was a guy drinking Captain Morgan spiced rum mixed with Dr. Pepper!!! Do you want to put him out of his misery or should I???!!!!!

Let's give him a bottle of good rum (i.e, a non-spice rum with a vanilla note in the taste). If he doesn't like it; then, arm your revolver and put him out.

• 1 month later...
That aged spiced rum would do very well. There is very little choice apart from at the  budget end(in the UK anyway).

Out of interest, at what point would you add the spice?

Getting the spices in, is done in a variety of ways throughout the world.

It can be done in the aging process e.g. one has a sack of vanilla beans and let this extract / sit in the rum vat or barrel for a certain amount of time. Doesn't have to be vanilla can also be other spices like pimento or anything you can think of. The "disadvantage" of this methode is the fact that you will get different endresults per batch, since this is a natural process. One can "fixe" this by blending, but still...

An other way it can be done is at the end of the proces before the bottling, one adds simply a "spice" flavor bought from a flavor house. Less hassle, and in controll of the endproduct one is looking for. thus done by all the mass market brands. This doesnt give any judgement of authenticity or purity of the end product!

There also will be combinations of the above.

Brand owners will choose the methode, subject to the market they are aiming at.

Top end limited edditions will be more attracted to the "artisanal" methode, mass market product want to have full controll since the product must be exactly the same over and over again for a longer period of time