• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Course

LaNiña

Nina - remember, under no circumstances allow them to talk you into smelling a cork - it always smells just like cork!

I often smell the cork. 1 out of 1,000 times it smells awful. Then you save yourself a nasty sip of wine.

Do you smell the carton of milk before you drink it ever? Same principle.

beachfan

I often smell the cork.  1 out of 1,000 times it smells awful.  Then you save yourself a nasty sip of wine.

Do you smell the carton of milk before you drink it ever?  Same principle.

i'm lost here. methinks smelling the wine is a good, and probably the only, indication that the wine is off, aside from having your guest taste it first. :raz:

and no, i personally don't smell the carton...i smell the milk. same principle. :hmmm:

I often smell the cork.  1 out of 1,000 times it smells awful.  Then you save yourself a nasty sip of wine.

Do you smell the carton of milk before you drink it ever?  Same principle.

i'm lost here. methinks smelling the wine is a good, and probably the only, indication that the wine is off, aside from having your guest taste it first. :raz:

and no, i personally don't smell the carton...i smell the milk. same principle. :hmmm:

The cork can smell worse than the wine. More important than smelling the cork is inspecting it briefly. It can be moldy, dried out, crumbled etc.

beachfan

The cork can smell worse than the wine.  More important than smelling the cork is inspecting it briefly.  It can be moldy, dried out, crumbled etc.

realizing this, i was wondering why you are a proponent of smelling the damned thing!? unless i misunderstood, which has been known to happen with me.

In the spring I finished the intermediate level course at the International Wine Center. I found it extremely helpful. It provides a solid foundation of knowledge. I will definitely go on to the advanced level. The sessions include one hour of lecture followed by one hour of tasting. I definitely recommend the course to anyone interested in the wine industry.

• 2 months later...

So far so good! We've had 3 weeks so far. The teacher is excellent - knowledgeable, no silliness, lots of material covered, serious tastings, not "showbiz" in any way. I'm learning a ton, and my tasting skills are improving. 5 more weeks to go, then the exam on the 9th week. I'm very pleased with my choice so far.

Jordyn and Matt - chime in!

So far so good!  We've had 3 weeks so far.  The teacher is excellent - knowledgeable, no silliness, lots of material covered, serious tastings, not "showbiz" in any way.  I'm learning a ton, and my tasting skills are improving.  5 more weeks to go, then the exam on the 9th week.  I'm very pleased with my choice so far.

Jordyn and Matt - chime in!

Alas, I've only attended one of the three weeks of the class - business travel interfered once and the second time NJ Transit had it in for me. So far, though, I agree with Nina - I like the teacher a great deal, and find her very informative. One of the nicest parts is her willingness to spend some time on tangents not directly related to the course but very instructive as to wine in general - an example that springs to mind was her discussion of the growing "wine lake" in various countries and how it relates to where grape must comes from.

On a side note - the school itself will let people who are busy/flaky (like me) attend the classes they missed during the next session of the class at no charge, something I'm finding very useful.

• 2 months later...

Helena, it was excellent from beginning to end, but a word of caution. I think the excellence and seriousness of the class was due in great part to the teacher, whose name is Lisa Granik. One week she was out (during VinExpo) and there was a sub and it was dull and boring and quite, quite different. Might as well have stayed home and just read the relevant chapters.

Edited by La Niña (log)

The cork can smell worse than the wine.  More important than smelling the cork is inspecting it briefly.  It can be moldy, dried out, crumbled etc.

realizing this, i was wondering why you are a proponent of smelling the damned thing!? unless i misunderstood, which has been known to happen with me.

I see I never answered.

Smelling the cork is a little more genteel than holding the bottle to your nose. And keeps the glass clean.

beachfan