• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme Brulee Cookies?

Jeni Hicks

Any thoughts on where I could begin to create such a cookie...or does a recipe already exist somewhere (not that I could find in Google)?

Ideally, I would like it to be a rustic type cookie - I'm looking for the flavor of creme brulee...have dabbled with thoughts of adding crushed up caramelized sugar somehow....but in the guise of a gourmet-ish drop cookie (ie: no fancy custard-on-cookie-base concoctions). Any thoughts on where the actual creme brulee flavor injection could come from? I've been looking at Torani syrups, but don't know how they react to cooking. I know that LorAnn makes a tremendous variety of flavoring oils - perhaps a combo of vanilla/eggnog, or something of the like?

I'd like to start playing around with this, but could really use some thoughts and directions from folks more "in the know" than me. :smile:

Jeni

amoretti might make a creme brulee compound (I don't know, I'm just guessing since they have quite a range) that you could use. It seems to me the thrill of creme brulee is the cold custard against the burnt sugar - how to capture that in a cookie is definitely a challenge! It would be like a cream puff dipped in caramel so maybe you have to find a rich custard-y cookie and dip it into caramel and let the caramel harden?

I think a tea store here had a tea flavour called creme brulee (or was it creme caramel?) that smelled like vanilla and caramel. How about replacing some of the sugar in a basic drop cookie recipe with pulverised caramel, using vanilla and perhaps incorporating milk powder or a little pastry cream into the mix? The texture would still be pretty different from a creme brulee though... :huh: .

I know it's not a drop cookie but what about a sugar or shortread cookie with crushed burnt caramel on top?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

A creme brulee cookie without custard? Well, you're not going to get a drop cookie with anything like the silky texture of creme brulee, but you could make a vanilla cookie and blowtorch a caramel crust on it. You might try Sherry Yard's pastry cream cookies, leave out the nuts, increase the flour, and "brulee" some sugar on top.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks for all your replies - I know what I'm trying to do sounds a bit odd. I guess what I'm going for is a cookie that captures some of that custard-y, rich vanilla flavour (a silky texture isn't required)...and also incorporates some caramelized sugar....a cookie that echoes the flavors of creme brulee, but isn't trying to BE creme brulee. I've seen creme brulee tea cookies on various websites, but I believe they're hard dunking cookies - I can't find an ingredients list anywhere to get a sense of how they're flavoring them.

I really like the idea of adding pulverized caramel to a cookie dough - I'll definitely give that a try, perhaps also punching up the vanilla flavor somewhat. The pastry cream cookies sound promising, too - thanks for the suggestion! :)

Jeni

I looked on the list last night. Amoretti has a custard panna cotta compound and extract. You might also try their creme de vanilla.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

....still, a custard-on-cookie-base concoction sounds perfectly heavenly to me.... :rolleyes:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria