• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitters

In terms of getting to know and love gin, a dry martini is probably the worst thing you can start with! Check out this article for some suggested cocktails as a more gradual introduction to the pleasures of gin.

Also, I would normally steer clear of Bombay Sapphire for these types of cocktails, since it is (believe it or not) a rather subtle gin. I save my Bombay Sapphire for martinis, where I can taste every nuance. But then, I already like gin! :biggrin:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Used my Angostura bitters in a cocktail today for the first time. I made a rum manhattan with Havana Club Reserva, Martini and Rossi Rosso, and the bitters. It tatsted rather funny (unlike how I've had it previously in restaurants/bars). The vermouth was too prominent (rum to vermouth ratio of 1.5oz to 0.5oz), and I could not taste the rum. I'll try a standard 5:1 ratio next time. The bitters were also missing from the taste and aroma (used 3 dashes), but lingers on my tongue several moments after the swallow.

My other Angostura experimenting has found that it goes well with a glass of water or vanilla ice cream.