• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

I work in midtown by day, and live in Brooklyn. I'll stay in town to do any number of fun things, but I won't cool my heels for several hours to ensure that my wait in a grocery store line is less than insane. Not even for Balducci's.

You know, I'm absolutely willing to concede that Trader Joe's magic is completely lost on me. I've been dragged to several in California by starry-eyed Californians ("have you been to Trader Joe's yet? I just LOVE Trader Joe's!"), and I've eaten a number of their products when staying with friends in NYC who are such aficionados they used to drive to the New Jersey store before the New York branch opened up. People seem to really like their stuff. Me, I think it's just okay for what it is.

And just okay for what it is doesn't warrant braving Penn Station at rush hour style crowds, or toilet paper shortage in the Soviet Union style brawling for what little remains on near-empty shelves. Not for me, at least.

If it were sane and well-stocked and crowd-free would I be willing to give them another shot? Sure, why not.

I work in midtown by day, and live in Brooklyn.  I'll stay in town to do any number of fun things, but I won't cool my heels for several hours to ensure that my wait in a grocery store line is less than insane.  Not even for Balducci's.

You know, I'm absolutely willing to concede that Trader Joe's magic is completely lost on me.  I've been dragged to several in California by starry-eyed Californians ("have you been to Trader Joe's yet?  I just LOVE Trader Joe's!"), and I've eaten a number of their products when staying with friends in NYC who are such aficionados they used to drive to the New Jersey store before the New York branch opened up.  People seem to really like their stuff.  Me, I think it's just okay for what it is. 

And just okay for what it is doesn't warrant braving Penn Station at rush hour style crowds, or toilet paper shortage in the Soviet Union style brawling for what little remains on near-empty shelves.  Not for me, at least.

If it were sane and well-stocked and crowd-free would I be willing to give them another shot?  Sure, why not.

You are not alone.

I have been to several TJ's and I simply fail to see what many others seem to see.

I have even read through this thread in hope of finding the secret from TJ devotees.

The fact is, by any sane and rational standards the enthusiasm some have is simply out of whack with the chain. I can only surmise that the best product TJ's sells is "cool aide" and a lot of people have sampled it.

I believe that TJ's has mastered the art of the store brand. They have managed to find straw sewing boxes and sell them as "bamboo steamers" , cheap run of the mill cutlery become "Ginsu Knives" and so on....

They have convinced people that their items (which run from the mundane to the bizarre) are unique, high quality foods specially selected through their magical process and offered at low prices to a waiting public.

I have yet to be convinced that their selection process is any different from that of any conscientious food retailer. I am also unconvinced that the quality of their products is any better than that of most other store or generic brand stuff.

Most of what they sell is not so special--breads, produce and dairy products as well as meats and poultry etc. These items are either the same as sold elsewhere (Niman Ranch, milk eggs and butter, salami) or it is generic brand (TJ's has a cute way of labeling things like olive oil "Trader Giotto" etc) that range in quality from poor to ok.

I bought an especially awful chicken--with all sorts of "Natural" "free range" labels on it. (they know what turns their target market on).

Basically, TJ's selection is comprised of those items one can get elsewhere which fall into two categories: branded items one can get elsewhere and the generic stuff--with the often cute TJ's labels that is IMOP no better than house brands or generic items of other stores and supermarkets. Really, generic olive oil is what it is--is Trader Giottos noticeably better quality than the stuff found all over town under various labels? Many items like their salsas are really not that good--most are watery and insipid.

Prices. TJ's has found a successful marketing ploy here. Yes the prices of their generic TJ's branded stuff is priced well. They are basically using Wal Marts strategy and technique here by squeezing producers etc.

So they are selling decent store branded olive oil at prices closer to what that oil is probably worth-at least they have convinced many they are.

But the real artful marketing comes in the shelves of snack foods, nuts, candy bars crackers, frozen confections etc etc etc TJ has taken the concept used by most supermarkets in putting some things people don't need, you know the stuff within arm['s reach of the check out counters that we didn't originally come into the store for--and filled isles with it.

TJ's has actually become a destination selling a lot of things people didn't know they wanted (let alone needed).

In fact, they have reversed the process! People now flock there for inane items like candied pop corn and peach melba whatever and while they are there maybe pick up a quart of milk or some eggs.

They put a gimmicky store brand label on run of the mill generic stuff convince consumers that it is higher quality than it really is and sell it for----a "bargain" price when in reality they are selling the stuff for what it probably is really worth to begin with!

Now I am not particularly against TJ's. I do shop them once in a while. I marvel at their marketing acumen and they do seem to have low prices. Actually, their prices are more in line with the quality than what is offered at some other markets.

(folks all the hoopla over two buck Chuck--well the wine is really worth the two buck! It is just that other mediocre wine is so over priced....).

At TJ's I really believe you get what you pay for.

(and that ain't a bad thing).

But let's not go overboard and imbue them with attributes they don't have. Sure the Hawiian shirts and folksy, quirky atmosphere are cute, but this is part of a huge multi national conglomerate. (those cheap pistachio nuts should be inexpensive with the buying power these folks have-- but in the end they are just everyday nuts at a fairer price--of course if one buys into the "we've scoured the globe in search of the finest nuts....." schtick then that price is not just fair, it's downright amazing!!!).

Finally, I think I got it--Trader Joe's is a "Bizzarro Fairway!"

um, the price is the point.

that, and there are some unique items that you can't get somewhere else...and certainly not at that price point.

that Italian Blood Orange Soda is very good, not overly sweet, etc.

I'm sure that Whole Foods has something similar...for three times the price.

its house vegetable juice is better than V-8, and half the cost. etc.

TJ's real advantage is in the frozen and jarred foods.

no one is claiming that they are significantly higher in quality (although some items are)...but the prices are often literally half that of their competition.

No, it's not Wegmans. but I'm really not sure what you're comparing it too. We don't have a Wegmans (and things cost much more there anyway).

the quality level isn't at the D&D point...but the cost is about 1/5th.

the quality level is equivalent to WF...on everything besides produce...and TJ's is half the cost.

it is a niche store...it's not intended for one-stop shopping.

but is it a godsend to Manhattan? heck yes.

Edited by Nathan (log)

• 1 year later...

I just went, believe it or not, to Trader Joe's for the first time. Actually, it was in Paramus, NJ, but I can easily understand the disparity of opinions expressed heretofore. Got some yogurt, cheese, chips, nuts, etc. One big disappointment, after doing so much shopping these past years at local farmer's markets, and even in our local chain grocery (Price Chopper) is the amount of wasted packaging. But then, that's a problem in many markets.

Mark A. Bauman